Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
I am using Mac Mail to access email on AOL Mail. I recently logged in to AOL Mail directly on the web and in a momentary lapse of judgment deleted the contents of the Sent folder. The next time I used Mac Mail, I found that the Sent folder there is empty as well. Not remembering everything that was in it, I would like to restore the contents from my Time Machine backup. So two questions:

1. There are websites that describe how to do this, some more confusing than others, so if someone has a really easy way please refer me to it.

2. On the Mac, to access the folder where emails are stored one clicks on the Finder Go menu item while holding down the Option key, then goes to Library then Mail folder and somewhere among those inscrutably labeled folders in a Sent folder. But when I enter Time Machine, it's showing a window with the Desktop and everything outside the window is greyed out so how do I get from there to the backed up Sent folder?

Thanks.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
Do you actually save mail to your machine? If not, the only place it would have ever existed is on the AOL server.
I have folders in the "On My Mac" section of Mail that are saved on my machine. So you're saying that the folders in the "AOL" section of Mail (Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Junk, Trash) would not be in my Time Machine backup. Oh well, hopefully nothing that was really needed was deleted.

But I'm still curious as to how I would access even the On My Mac folders in the TM backup.

AlumaMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2018
If you moved mail to an "On My Mac" folder it would be in your TM backup. If your TM backup drive is mounted on your desktop you should be able to navigate through the folder structure to your Library > Mail folder. You’ll need to show hidden files by pressing the Command, Shift and Period keys simultaneously. Repeating that command will turn off hidden files once you’re done.

Reactions: mac_in_tosh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.