Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tempest2084

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2021
My 2012 Mac Mini is experiencing random crashes. I've already run MemTest and the RAM appears to be good so my next step is to run the Apple Hardware Test. Unfortunately the partition with the AHT on it appears to have been deleted when I installed Ventura using OpenCore Legacy Patcher so holding D or Option-D on startup no longer works. On this page (https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest) I found a way to make a bootable USB key with the AHT on it, but when I try to boot from it it shows a brief error that I can't read (I think it's saying that it can't load from a directory) and then reboots. My second idea was to copy the AHT files back to the System folder but that requires disabling SIP and when I boot to recovery mode and try to disable SIP (csrutil disable) it says the command is not found.

I'm at my wits end on how to do this. All I want is to run some diagnostics so I can try and figure out what's wrong with my system (it's not OCLP, I had crashes on officially supported OS's). If I can't get AHT restored, is there a free diagnostic tool that I try?

stw

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2002
Same problem here: Mac mini 2012. Random crashes of macOS background services: e.g. TrustedPeersHelper with Segmentation fault.
Thought fresh install would help. Tried OCLP and Ventura, but crashes remain. Tried starting with "D": Cannot find efi/drivers/...
Switched back to 10.15 but still have crashes.

Tempest2084

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2021
Same problem here: Mac mini 2012. Random crashes of macOS background services: e.g. TrustedPeersHelper with Segmentation fault.
Thought fresh install would help. Tried OCLP and Ventura, but crashes remain. Tried starting with "D": Cannot find efi/drivers/...
Switched back to 10.15 but still have crashes.
From what I've been able to find out Apple removed some firmware files the AHT needs to run from the Mac Mini since Mojave. I wonder if installing High Sierra would restore the AHT? I dont want to undo everything I've done to test that, but if you want to try maybe it will work?

stw

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2002

Tempest2084

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2021
Yep that's the post I saw that explained it. I don't know if downgrading to 11.13 would fix that or not.

Tempest2084

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2021
Still having problems with this. Is there any way to run the diagnostic tool after it's been removed? Or is there some sort of free hardware diagnostic tool I can use?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.