Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Many years ago I taught myself some Bash and Python and wrote a couple of scripts which I still use all the time for work. So far this hasn't been a problem as I was still using Sierra on my old Mac.

But now I just got a new Mac Studio running Monterey, which seems to have ditched both Bash and Python 2.7.

Unfortunately, I have pretty much forgotten most of what I learned and am - at this point - unable to adapt my scripts.

Would it be possible to reinstall Bash and Python 2.7?
And more importantly: Could that create any problems in the long run?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Python 3 was released… what, 14 years ago? Looking around I see web pages showing how to get Python 2.7 installed on Monterey, and it looks like bash is still an installed shell (just not the default one). So, installing Python 2.7 and bash might get you up and running for right now, but…

Could that create any problems in the long run?

Yeah, that. I’d plan on a more permanent fix (i.e. convert to zsh/Python3, or find a way to deprecate those scripts) before you install macOS Ventura.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Bash is still a built-in shell, yeah. Not default as mentioned, but still there. If your scripts begin with
#!/bin/bash
they will work just like they always have, using the bash shell interpreter.

As for Python, yeah I strongly encourage trying to migrate to Python 3, but you can get Python 2 working

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.