Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Propine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
Hi,

I have a pure image of BigSur and TimeMachine backup made on Monterey. As far as I understand the only way for me to downgrade from Monterey to BigSur is to reinstall the OS from my BigSur installation (I don't have TimeMachine backup from BigSur) downloaded from AppStore which will lead to losing all data on the system disk. Can I then use TimeMachine backup made with Monterey to restore data or will it automatically upgrade me back to Monterey somehow?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That won't put you back on Monterey, but I think this will cause you all manner of issues.

For example, Monterey added bunch of new features to the Notes app, so presumably the format Notes are stored in has changed between Big Sur and Monterey. So if you go back to Big Sur, then restore a Montrerey Notes database you are very likely yo have problems with it. Same goes for any app that underwent big changes between OS versions.

Reactions: Propine

Propine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
For anyone having same issue: I did rollback and restore from TM, apps seem to work fine, only Safari has lost all my opened tabs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.