Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
I have a macbook 13 inch 2012 on High Sierra and its refusing to boot further than the status bar the turns itself off.

I have a recent TM backup.

Erased the HD, Guid partition OS Journelled using a different mac and reinstalled it.

Held down CMD - R, selected restore from TM backup but keep getting the same message An error occurred while adding a recovery system to the destination disk

I have also tried the other option of installing just the OS Mavericks from recovery mode but that gives the same error.

Very confusing?

Each time I boot an press CMD R it goes into internet recovery which takes about 6 minutes to load which is annoying, is there a quicker method of getting to recovery?

Ideas and help would be greatfully received thanks!

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Bit of an update

could the problem be that the internet recovery is OS X Mavericks and my TM machine backup is High Sierra?

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
There are other options too you could try to revive your MBP.

For example you could make a bootable USB High Sierra installer with createinstallmedia on another Mac and try to install HS on the MBP.

If the same error occurs , my guess is a hardware problem e.g. failing disk or (typical for the 2012 non-Retina) the flex cable .
DriveDX is an excellent tool for checking disk health.

If all works you'll have a clean install of HS and with Migration Assistant you can recover all your data from the TM backup.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.