Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seatton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
I have a question. I installed iOS 12 PB 1 to my iPad Pro and I have not noticed significant issues - loving it so far. (mainly because I only use it for reading). I do a lot of reading and now the new "Books" app does not syn up with the iBooks on my iPhone X running iOS 11.4 latest version.

I am dying to try this on my phone (maybe for PB 2). Let's say things are going bad and I need to reinstall everything on my iPhone X, which has an iCloud backup every night, would I be able to retrieve the all of my watch data running the latest watch OS? This is the only thing that concerns me because I have used Apple Watch since the launch day and I do not want to lose any badges. I have about 60 badges so far.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated. I am dying to install this my phone when the public beta 2 comes out. I always go for the first public beta on my phone for so many years, and this year I realized that I have valuable Apple Watch badges since the launch day that I collect.

Thanks everyone!

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
An encrypted iTunes 11.4 backup should do the trick for you.
It’s supposed to backup all your health data.

Before upgrading to iOS 12 I would:
1. download the iOS 11.4 IPSW file for your specific iPhone model
2. deactivate iCloud backup
3. get familiar with DFU- restore process which will be needed for reverting back to 11.4 using the IPSW file from step 1.

seatton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
An encrypted iTunes 11.4 backup should do the trick for you.
It’s supposed to backup all your health data.

Before upgrading to iOS 12 I would:
1. download the iOS 11.4 IPSW file for your specific iPhone model
2. deactivate iCloud backup
3. get familiar with DFU- restore process which will be needed for reverting back to 11.4 using the IPSW file from step 1.

Thank you for your reply.

Let's say I follow that process and installed the iOS 12 PB 1 today (6/29/18). Let's say it is working fine this week until next week and I would need to restore from the backup. If I use your approach, I would be able to recover get my watch data as of 6/29/18 right and I would be losing what's on iOS 12? Since I have my iCloud backup, can't I just reinstall iOS 12 and use the backup data from the cloud?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Thank you for your reply.

Let's say I follow that process and installed the iOS 12 PB 1 today (6/29/18). Let's say it is working fine this week until next week and I would need to restore from the backup. If I use your approach, I would be able to recover get my watch data as of 6/29/18 right and I would be losing what's on iOS 12? Since I have my iCloud backup, can't I just reinstall iOS 12 and use the backup data from the cloud?
You SHOULD be OK but any time you play with betas unexpected or unforeseen things can happen. For instance in iOS9 beta Apple failed to implement iTunes restore (oversight bug) in the early betas and I had to do a restore and only had an iTunes backup. I lost about 35 days of Health/Fitness data.

seatton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2013
Seattle, WA
You SHOULD be OK but any time you play with betas unexpected or unforeseen things can happen. For instance in iOS9 beta Apple failed to implement iTunes restore (oversight bug) in the early betas and I had to do a restore and only had an iTunes backup. I lost about 35 days of Health/Fitness data.

Thanks for your reply. I won’t install it on my iPhone X for now then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.