Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Monika_B

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2022
Hello, I got just one question:

I was having troubles with notifications so I decided to restore my backup throught iTunes where I remembered it worked. Well I restored one month old backup and found out the notifications for YouTube and Netflix still don't work so I decided to go back to my yesterday's backup... Is it problem for iPhone? You know what I mean... won't there be any software collisions?

I had a few more apps one month ago that installed back now. I also got back old messages that didn't remove when I returned to my yesterday's backup version... I just wanna be sure there will be no problem with it. No damage to system, no faster battery drain etc.

Thx guys for reply in advance.

Monika_B

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2022
There won’t be any ‘software collisions’

When you restore your most recent backup it will overwrite everything on your iPhone.

No damage when you restore yesterday’s backup.

It actually didn't overwrite everything. One month old backup re-installed my apps that I removed last week or so. And when I restored my yesterday's backup those apps weren't removed again... That confused me a little bit.

To be more clear. Last week I removed Amazon Prime. As I restored 1 month old backup, Amazon Prime was installed again. And as I restored yesterday's backup, Amazon Prime wasn't removed again. That's what confuses me.

Monika_B

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2022
Once again.

- I decided to go back to the backup from 18th December
- Once being there I decided to go back to the current version (yesterdays backup)
- all settings are back to normal but Apps from 18th December merged into new (even though I removed 5 of them last week or so)

Perhaps it should work like this but I need someone to confirm it. And hopefully there will be no software collision.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
As long as you wiped the phone before restoring the backup, all will be well.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
I haven't wiped it actually. iTunes didn't say anything about

I didn't know it was possible to restore a backup without wiping the device first, but that explains why you've got apps installed that you deleted before the most recent backup. Wipe the phone and restore the last backup again.

Monika_B

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2022
I didn't know it was possible to restore a backup without wiping the device first, but that explains why you've got apps installed that you deleted before the most recent backup. Wipe the phone and restore the last backup again.
And do I have to do it again? It's brand new phone and I keep restoring my backups just because faulty notifications.

Monika_B

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2022
If your faulty notifications are currently working, then leave it :)
They are not working since I got new iPhone. YouTube, Netflix, HBO Max and Pinterest make no sound. Notification pops up, it wakes my display up but there is no sound.

I tried everything possible... I reset all settings (twice), I started iPhone as new device (without restoring backup) and finally then I decided try to restore 1 month old backup. Nothing worked so I returned back to current version.

Monika_B

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2022
Are notifications from other apps making a sound?

Is your phone silent switch on?
Yea, all other notifications working fine.

I also noticed today when somebody uploads a new photo or releases a story I receive a notification sound from YouTube. I don't get sound just when somebody releases a new video or comments my post.

Same with Netflix. New movie is released and I get no sound notification. But I get sound notification when it's telling me "continue where you stopped". And this all started with new iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.