Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
This might have been covered before sorry, but I cant find a quick answer.

It has been a long time since I set up my own iPhone. I havnt got a new iPhone yet...probably soon... but I would like to see if a restore/setup as new, has any benefit on my X which had a new battery installed from Apple, but no big difference.

I really cant remember what I have done in the past with my old phones, I know I used to restore from iTunes, but for my X I don't know what I did. I feel that over time little bits may have been left over from phone to phone so a new setup might be good and clean.

So, I would like to set it up again, but be able to easily reinstall my Photos and Apps etc. I guess that this is all on iCloud (not backing up my whole phone to iCloud just Photo Library, messages etc) Am I missing something, or can I just wipe the phone and set up again putting in my iCloud details and then waiting for it to populate.

Is this the best method?

Thanks!

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
There's no reason why you can't do a fresh install and restore your messages and Photos from iCloud, assuming they are properly backed up.

Whether it will make much difference is another matter. iOS isn't Windows XP - it doesn't really degrade or get encrusted with malware over time. So if you want to start afresh with your settings and apps, go for it - but don't expect some miraculous (or even noticeable) change in performance, battery life, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.