Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gv2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
I updated to iOS 7.1 Beta and I am wondering if I can put my iPhone 5S into DFU Mode in iTunes and restore back to iOS 7.0.4 without downloading the IPSW file for 7.0.4, since it is still being signed by Apple?

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Yes, should work fine...

EDIT - As a test, yes it does as I just went from 7.1 back to 7.0.4 on my 5s. Connect to iTunes, then put the phone into DFU mode and restore phone, then backup from an earlier backup or just leave as a new phone and grab your contacts etc from iCloud.

Last edited:

Gv2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
I have Protuber, if I restore back to iOS 7.0.4 after putting it in DFU mode and restore from an iCloud Backup, will Protuber install with the other apps, since it was part of the iCloud backup, even though it is no longer in the App Store? When you put your 5S in DFU mode and hit restore, you did not choose the 7.0.4 IPSW file, correct? iTunes automatically downloads a fresh new copy of iOS 7.0.4?

Gv2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
Is there a walkthrough video I can watch, showing an iPhone being restored after being put in DFU mode, without downloading the 7.0.4 IPSW file?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
You need to have 7.0.4 on your computer since naturally you can't restore to something that you don't have. iTunes will handle the download for you though; you don't need to worry about finding it manually. When the phone is in DFU mode it is "unversioned" so iTunes will download/install the latest public release (in this case 7.0.4).

Apps are not part of iOS backup files. You'll need to either have a backup IPA file, or redownload the app directly from Apple (I'm not sure whether this is possible if Apple no longer sells the app).

Gv2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
I was told I could put my iPhone 5S in DFU mode, click on restore, and it will restore back to iOS 7.0.4, I do not need to download the 7.0.4 IPSW file, iTunes will download it....and I was told they tested it, so that is not true?

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
I was told I could put my iPhone 5S in DFU mode, click on restore, and it will restore back to iOS 7.0.4, I do not need to download the 7.0.4 IPSW file, iTunes will download it....and I was told they tested it, so that is not true?

You are correct.

Gv2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
So I am correct, it is true? I do not need to download the file?

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Protuber will only install if you had it while running 7.0.4 or earlier. Reason being: you can't restore from an iCloud backup of a newer version of iOS. 7.0.4 can only restore from <=7.0.4.

Otherwise, just put your phone in DFU and hit restore. iTunes will do all the work for you (it'll download 7.0.4 if not already downloaded and will install it).

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
So I am correct, it is true? I do not need to download the file?

If you are running 7.1 beta iTunes will not automatically download 7.0.4 if u press restore and will show an error. You must download 7.0.4 yourself from another source and "shift" restore to go back to it. You get the error because your device has 7.1 and obviously it cannot be downloaded through iTunes as it is not out for the public yet.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
If you are running 7.1 beta iTunes will not automatically download 7.0.4 if u press restore and will show an error. You must download 7.0.4 yourself from another source and "shift" restore to go back to it. You get the error because your device has 7.1 and obviously it cannot be downloaded through iTunes as it is not out for the public yet.

Or DFU it and it makes life a lot easier, as iTunes will then download 7.0.4

Gv2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
I am confused here, getting difference answers. One person tells me that I can put my iPhone 5S in DFU mode, click on restore, while having 7.1 Beta 1 and iTunes will download a fresh version of iOS 7.0.4 and install it, another person is saying that is false, I have to actually manually download the 7.0.4 firmware from another source....

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
And in the time its taken you to post all these replys you could have tried it yourself many times over.

If the phone is in DFU mode iTunes WILL download the latest released version - in this case 7.0.4.

How about giving it a try?

Gv2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
I currently have iOS 7.1 Beta 1 installed, so if I put my iPhone 5S in DFU mode, while plugged in, click on restore in iTunes, iTunes will download iOS 7.0.4 and install it correct, I will not get any errors? I have read people have been getting errors while doing so. I will not have to manually download iOS 7.0.4 firmware from another source, correct? That is why I have not tried it, I want to really make sure I do not brick my iPhone

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I currently have iOS 7.1 Beta 1 installed, so if I put my iPhone 5S in DFU mode, while plugged in, click on restore in iTunes, iTunes will download iOS 7.0.4 and install it correct, I will not get any errors? I have read people have been getting errors while doing so. I will not have to manually download iOS 7.0.4 firmware from another source, correct? That is why I have not tried it, I want to really make sure I do not brick my iPhone
Neither method is guaranteed not to give you errors. Neither method should result in anything that would actually brick the phone. Try one, and if it doesn't work for some reason, try the other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.