Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jzieske

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2003
Bloomington, MN
We are setting up new iPhones at work that will be used by many different people. We are using 1 iCloud account for all of the phones so that we can easily update the contacts across many devices. The question that I have not been able to find an answer to yet is; Is there a way to prevent the users of the phone from adding/deleting/editing the contacts?

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I do not believe Restrictions will do what you need. Out of curiosity, have you considered using a CardDav server, and pre-setting up the account in the phones?

jzieske

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2003
Bloomington, MN
I do not believe Restrictions will do what you need. Out of curiosity, have you considered using a CardDav server, and pre-setting up the account in the phones?

No we haven't. Originally they were planning of just loading the settings (contacts included) onto each phone manually. Trying to find an easier way to push updates but also easy to implement. We are now thinking of setting up one phone with the settings we want and then backing up to either iCloud or iTunes then restoring the others from that backup.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
You might want to look into Apple Configurator for setting up iPhones for corporate users. HOW to use it is far beyond the scope of this post, but have a quick look and see if it'll help your situation.

If you have an Active Directory server, you can likely preconfigure an AD account on the phones and make the contacts available there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.