Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winterquilt

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
Is it possible to restore Safari from a Time Machine backup so that the tabs and windows from a previous time will come back up ?

That data must be contained somewhere.

winterquilt

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
The windows had tabs that went back months, it would be impossible to know which ones they were.

The data must be held somewhere, if I knew where to resurrect it from hopefully that would bring those lost Safari tabs and windows back.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
The data must be held somewhere
I'm not so sure about that .
IMO it depends on your setting in Safari> preferences.
It could be automatically deleted after e.g. a week, a month, a year or stored until manually deleted.

winterquilt

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
I'm not talking about the history, that I have set to never wipe. I am referring to the tabs, which were repeatedly displayed each and every time.

My issue arose when I closed Safari down too quickly, before the tabs had loaded in the multiple windows, and so when I loaded it back up the windows were all blank !

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
I'm not talking about the history, that I have set to never wipe. I am referring to the tabs, which were repeatedly displayed each and every time.

My issue arose when I closed Safari down too quickly, before the tabs had loaded in the multiple windows, and so when I loaded it back up the windows were all blank !
OK, sorry I misunderstood.

I cant remember that I experienced this, so unfortunately I cant help you.

winterquilt

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 18, 2008
I figured out how to it and it works: simply navigate to folder "~/Library/Safari" and restore it.

I restored both, keeping the present copy, then just renaming, and opening Safari, and it returned with all of the lost windows.

Time Machine got my conkers out of the fire !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.