Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Looks like it they're gonna make through the Holidays for System launches:

They have a Holiday Flyer:

Don't know how good their trade-in deals for consoles will be this year....

DoubleDragon1987

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2020
I'd never do a trade-in at Gamestop for ANYTHING. Far better to sell on CL or eBaY or local garage sale or even your local independent store (trade in).

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Even though with the crazy stock prices of theirs, I guess they've decided to go online only...

The Gamestop locations around me (including the good one I frequent) are all closing for good.

I guess the stripmall ones won't be renewing their leases.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I commented many times in this thread about GameStops demise. All of them have closed in my area, (one most recently within the last month), which I believe was the last location.

And I say good. I won’t rehash what I’ve already posted many times over, but they put themselves in the corner where they didn’t compete where other manufactures did, over-inflation and merging online sales from other competitors were also a contributor. And their perks program’ that they tried to oversell you on was worthless. Regardless, I don’t think there was really much could do in terms of how they fell into the realm of the many retailers who have faltered given the transition to internet sales. <—(Even more so due to the pandemic.)

I remember standing in line back in 2018 when Red Dead Redemption 2 launched for the midnight release and I was talking to a guy next to me and we were looking at all the ‘overpriced’ junk that they sell on the shelves. And I remember commenting, ‘like who buys the stuff at these prices’, only of which we both mentioned that we didn’t think GameStop would be here within the next three years.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I commented many times in this thread about GameStops demise. All of them have closed in my area, (one most recently within the last month), which I believe was the last location.

And I say good. I won’t rehash what I’ve already posted many times over, but they put themselves in the corner where they didn’t compete where other manufactures did, over-inflation and merging online sales from other competitors were also a contributor. And their perks program’ that they tried to oversell you on was worthless. Regardless, I don’t think there was really much could do in terms of how they fell into the realm of the many retailers who have faltered given the transition to internet sales. <—(Even more so due to the pandemic.)

I remember standing in line back in 2018 when Red Dead Redemption 2 launched for the midnight release and I was talking to a guy next to me and we were looking at all the ‘overpriced’ junk that they sell on the shelves. And I remember commenting, ‘like who buys the stuff at these prices’, only of which we both mentioned that we didn’t think GameStop would be here within the next three years.

the pandemic was the nail in the coffin for many...

During lockdown, i got my xbox and ps games from amazon - with prime, in some cases, I ordered in the morning and received it that afternoon, quicker than hoping into the car and then a round trip to Gamestop or Target...

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Where do you live that it is that fast?

I have prime and Amazon and it’s not that fast. GameStop we all hate for “buying back our games for $10” to then sell them for $50.

while Amazon is great. I honestly just ask target or Best Buy next to me to price match and they always do.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Where do you live that it is that fast?

I have prime and Amazon and it’s not that fast. GameStop we all hate for “buying back our games for $10” to then sell them for $50.

while Amazon is great. I honestly just ask target or Best Buy next to me to price match and they always do.
Chicago suburbs....

Actually Amazon built a few distribution centers a few miles up the road...

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Chicago suburbs....

Actually Amazon built a few distribution centers a few miles up the road...

I sometimes get stuff the next day even if I order it like at 10-12pm. I never gotten anything that I ordered by noon the same day.

Still I prefer to just go and get things price matched.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.