Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mynameismatt89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
Hello all,

I visited both bestbuy.ca and apple.ca and found the same laptop: Apple M9677C/A Powerbook G4 15.2" 1.67GHz Laptop for the same price and the same technical specs. I was just wondering, is it better if i buy it directly from the apple.ca store, or buy it from one of the retail stores: bestbuy???

Thanks in advance,
Matt

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Your price is going to be within 1% wherever you get it.

I would make a point of checking if there are any independent Mac dealers in your area. Drop in and get a sense for whether they are friendly, reponsive and competent. If they are, then consider ordering through them. From the good dealers, you'll get personal service that you won't from BestFutureBuyShop.ca, and a wider range of third party options than you can from Apple.ca.

I like Westworld in the West, there are some good people in the high end graphics field at Simply Computing in Vancouver, I have heard good things about Carbon in TO.

Don't forget to order your Mac with the minimum RAM and add third party RAM later.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

mynameismatt89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2005
thanks CanadaRAM. Is it important that you upgrade your RAM, or is the given amount of RAM from apple good enough?

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
I got my product from apple cuz i could use the education discount. But if you can't use that, i would've went with bestbuy. Why? If you want to get an extended warrenty, their little warrenties (u kno the one they try to push on you everytime) help alot. I'm not sure how well app is just cuz i havn't used it, could be 20x better, or worse... But with the bestbuy plan, been 2-3 times now where they said with appliances from $100-500 worth rather than fixing it, just let me pick out a new one, and pay the diff, or get my money back! Also when i went with my computer, they fixed everything in a timely manner.. so interms of their extended warrenty, even tho alota ppl think its crap, i like it on big appliances! :eek:

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
i4k20c said:
I got my product from apple cuz i could use the education discount. But if you can't use that, i would've went with bestbuy. Why? If you want to get an extended warrenty, their little warrenties (u kno the one they try to push on you everytime) help alot. I'm not sure how well app is just cuz i havn't used it, could be 20x better, or worse... But with the bestbuy plan, been 2-3 times now where they said with appliances from $100-500 worth rather than fixing it, just let me pick out a new one, and pay the diff, or get my money back! Also when i went with my computer, they fixed everything in a timely manner.. so interms of their extended warrenty, even tho alota ppl think its crap, i like it on big appliances! :eek:

Umm, not exactly. You MAY get service with the Best Buy plan if they decide to fix your machine and don't blame you for the problem. I used to work at a Best Buy, and have seen this problem more times than I care to mention. You're much better off getting AppleCare so you can deal with Apple directly. Guys at Best Buy are the most incompentant when it comes to Apple products and with AppleCare you can call Apple directly for 3 years.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
mynameismatt89 said:
thanks CanadaRAM. Is it important that you upgrade your RAM, or is the given amount of RAM from apple good enough?
The stock 512 in a Powerbook is just enough to run Tiger and one or two apps. I would always recommend upgrading to the limit of your budget (naturally ;) )
But it does make a big difference in a laptop, because the hard drives are slower, therefore the speed penalty for the OS using the scratch disk files is greater. Also, if you can minimize use of the hard drive by having enough RAM to hold your applications and data, you'll get more battery runtime.

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
I ordered mine direct from apple.ca because I saved more than local resellers (the edu discount was greater than my campus store even :eek: ) But the local dealers in my neck of the woods (Calgary) are pretty nice, MyMacDealer and Westworld, I tend to stay clear of futureshop (most stores don't even have apple computers in stock, just ipods!) Bestbuy has some apples but I don't think they know much about them, hence why they display the 140$$ norton antivirus and internet security package beside them to help you be protected on your new mac :rolleyes:
If you do go to a big-box store, see if they have at least someone who is apple trained/certified on staff for their tech/sales department, that should show you the commitment they have to apple product support (excluding the ever-popular ipod)

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
If it wasn't for educational discounts, I'd definately buy from a B&M store than apple.ca. If I have a problem with the computer in the first 15 days, I can take it back without incurring restocking fees from a place like Futureshop or Best Buy. Try doing that with apple.ca.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...Sometimes you can get a slightly better deal by buying from a dealer in another province - you'll avoid provincial tax. But there is also something to be said for supporting your local Apple dealer, after all, if no one bought from them they'd be gone and Apple loses some good visible potential sales traffic.

I am in BC but moved here from Ontario. I've always had a good relationship with MostlyMac in London and have bought a few Macs (and other items) from them since I moved west..they always gave me a good deal - I like to negotiate with them for a "bundle" price with the extra ram I want etc etc and I have always come away happy in those cases.

So, I would say - check local first, especially if you are not service-savvy and want good follow-up later, or deal direct with Apple, but if you are comfortable dealing with any potential trouble (and I have never had any) and saving every possible $ is important than look out of province (unless you are in Alberta in which case the pst thing does not apply).....oh yeah!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Get it from a local reseller and support them if they're nice. All these laptops come from the same place anyway, so no big deal.

And don't upgrade your RAM from the Apple Online store. Get it from somewhere else, like http://www.macsales.com (OWC), or I guess from Canadian stores: CSC, Carbon Computing in Toronto, NCIX.com (for RAM in Canada), Best Buy (but preferrably not).

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
BUY FROM APPLE. I use to work at bestbuy and if you only have one dead pixel they will not replace your notebook. Best buy also charges a 15% restocking fee even if you didn't open up your box! Applecare is also a lot better and safer than the best buy plan as well.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I doubt that BestBuy offers the optional BTO 128 MB VRAM for the 15" PowerBook.

So I have to assume you're looking at the base model with the stock 64MB GPU.

You CAN NOT upgrade the VRAM on a PowerBook, so if this is something you want, you'll have to order your machine by phone or online adding the upgrade with your order.

If you are a student, educator or school employee you can save quite a bit
on your hardware and software with the Apple education store discount.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
FFTT said:
You CAN NOT upgrade the VRAM on a PowerBook, so if this is something you want, you'll have to order your machine by phone or online adding the upgrade with your order.

If you are a student, educator or school employee you can save quite a bit
on your hardware and software with the Apple education store discount.

You can also upgrade the VRAM through a BTO PowerBook from an Apple Reseller, I believe. They just order it for you. I like supporting Resellers because they're smaller and serve a great role for those of us who don't live anywhere NEAR an official Apple store, not that it makes a difference where you get a Powerbook.

BUY FROM APPLE. I use to work at bestbuy and if you only have one dead pixel they will not replace your notebook.

Neither does Apple.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I personally prefer to purchase directly from Apple. Like to support my local store as much as possible. They recognize me when I arrive.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
well i don't know. i'll deffinately go with apple.ca compared to a retail. Simple enough, its easier to deal with Apple than a retail.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
If possible I'd buy from Apple directly, either online or at an Apple Store. Unless you're saving loads of money or it's really inconvenient, it makes sense.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
DarkNetworks said:
well i don't know. i'll deffinately go with apple.ca compared to a retail. Simple enough, its easier to deal with Apple than a retail.
AlBDamned said:
If possible I'd buy from Apple directly, either online or at an Apple Store. Unless you're saving loads of money or it's really inconvenient, it makes sense.

How is it easier? How does it make more sense?

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Abstract said:
How does it make more sense?

I'm talking about future considerations and using my own experience as a base....

Buying from Apple and not Best buy makes more sense because cutting out the middle man is usually preferable in these situations. Case in point: Took my own Powerbook into the Apple store for a new Logic board on Saturday. It's four months old. If I had bought it direct from Apple, I would have got a new one on the spot. To take it back to where I bought it for a new one would not have happened - they would have sent it back under warranty - Apple (limited, lest we forget) Warranty. I was referred by Apple to a local service centre but didn't want to take the risk so I took it to Apple, direct. Always better IMO to deal with the main people. Even though Apple probably sent it out for repair elsewhere, I know exactly who is responsible for it and I have my full genuine Apple repair form nice and safe.

Another case in point: My current flat is managed by letting agents, but we have completely taken them out of the loop until all the problems in the flat are solved. We are dealing directly with the landlord. It's better and more efficient that way.

Try and deal with the people who can make decisions. Dealing with their minions is how things get screwed up. That's why I'd say if the price is the same, go with Apple. It makes sense. :)

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
AlBDamned said:
Buying from Apple and not Best buy makes more sense because cutting out the middle man is usually preferable in these situations. Case in point: Took my own Powerbook into the Apple store for a new Logic board on Saturday. It's four months old. If I had bought it direct from Apple, I would have got a new one on the spot. To take it back to where I bought it for a new one would not have happened - they would have sent it back under warranty - Apple (limited, lest we forget) Warranty. I was referred by Apple to a local service centre but didn't want to take the risk so I took it to Apple, direct. Always better IMO to deal with the main people. Even though Apple probably sent it out for repair elsewhere, I know exactly who is responsible for it and I have my full genuine Apple repair form nice and safe.

Another case in point: My current flat is managed by letting agents, but we have completely taken them out of the loop until all the problems in the flat are solved. We are dealing directly with the landlord. It's better and more efficient that way.

Try and deal with the people who can make decisions. Dealing with their minions is how things get screwed up. That's why I'd say if the price is the same, go with Apple. It makes sense. :)

i totally agree with this one...
its easier to deal with APple in general...

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Currently I live in Toronto. I havent been to the Yorkdale mall's Apple Store but of course they get huge traffic.

I too also believe in supporting your authorized local Apple reseller -avoid BestBuy/FutureShop at all costs. I recently looked at their current flyers and saw the 17" iMac G5 Rev B with base specs was almost $500 more than anywhere else, wtf??

Carbon Computing on Queen St East - 4 lights east of Yonge in Toronto - started out small, then grew incredibly due to loyal repeat sales & excellent staff. Their store, recently redone 8 months ago; is incredible! I wish I could look their pricing on used machines, since their site no longer lists it.

Cpused on Bathurst & Dupont is also an exceptional store. great staff, knowledgeable in PC & Mac -> great for new switchers - because they sell both types of machines in seperate rooms. Of note; this particular store teaches the fundamentals of using your Mac on Saturdays' free; also great for newbs to the Mac. Just call in and book a seat. Very comfortable setting, and you can ask away all the Qs' you want and their pretty good at letting you know. Their very cool at just letting you browse, once in blue moon asking if you got any questions to let them know, even demoing their sweet music showcase. I'm buying my first Mac to keep from their in roughly 3 more weeks; hoping the one I want, used is still there! Better put a deposit on it this Friday/Saturday. ;)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
AlBDamned said:
Case in point: Took my own Powerbook into the Apple store for a new Logic board on Saturday. It's four months old. If I had bought it direct from Apple, I would have got a new one on the spot. To take it back to where I bought it for a new one would not have happened - they would have sent it back under warranty - Apple (limited, lest we forget) Warranty. I was referred by Apple to a local service centre but didn't want to take the risk so I took it to Apple, direct.

If you buy a Powerbook from Best Buy, you can still take it into Apple directly for repairs. ;) Also, the "official" Apple Stores, which are (technically) treated as separate businesses that need to buy stock and such at regular price from Apple Computers, also send the Powerbooks due for repair to the exact same place as where Best Buy would send them.

But regardless, you can take your Mac back to Apple even if you bought it at Best Buy or any local reseller. In fact, there may be an added benefit to buying it from Best Buy. For example, if you buy a PB from Best Buy and your PB breaks, just show them your receipt and someone at Best Buy might be able to fix it or tell you what's wrong right away if someone authorized to make repairs is working at the time. If they can't, you can always go to Apple. That is two places you can take it. If you buy it from Apple but take it into Best Buy, they may tell you to screw off.

You may never go to Best Buy for a repair. You may not even want your PB being shipped back to Apple for repairs courtesy of Best Buy (that way you don't deal with the phoning, the box, the mailing, and the receiving. However, at least you have that option.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Abstract said:
If you buy a Powerbook from Best Buy, you can still take it into Apple directly for repairs. ;) Also, the "official" Apple Stores, which are (technically) treated as separate businesses that need to buy stock and such at regular price from Apple Computers, also send the Powerbooks due for repair to the exact same place as where Best Buy would send them.

But regardless, you can take your Mac back to Apple even if you bought it at Best Buy or any local reseller. In fact, there may be an added benefit to buying it from Best Buy. For example, if you buy a PB from Best Buy and your PB breaks, just show them your receipt and someone at Best Buy might be able to fix it or tell you what's wrong right away if someone authorized to make repairs is working at the time. If they can't, you can always go to Apple. That is two places you can take it. If you buy it from Apple but take it into Best Buy, they may tell you to screw off.

You may never go to Best Buy for a repair. You may not even want your PB being shipped back to Apple for repairs courtesy of Best Buy (that way you don't deal with the phoning, the box, the mailing, and the receiving. However, at least you have that option.

Yep, like I said, I didn't buy mine from Apple but I took it to them anyway. Peace of mind. they have indeed sent it to a 3rd party place to have it repair (got an email this morning), but Apple is responsible for it.

Unless the nearest Apple store is a plane ride away or Best Buy is next door, if the prices are the same I'd always buy from Apple.

If Best Buy and Apple were next door to each other and their prices were identical, where would you buy your Mac from?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.