Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ca$hout

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2016
Hi everyone,

Bought the 2018 MacBook Pro with TB last month, only just had a look and can see some weird marks on my screen looks like smudges but when I use my fibre cloth it doesn't seem to go away so was thinking maybe I was cleaning it wrong?

Anyone with the new model suggest best way to clean the screen or shall I get some sort of screen protector?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Hi everyone,

Bought the 2018 MacBook Pro with TB last month, only just had a look and can see some weird marks on my screen looks like smudges but when I use my fibre cloth it doesn't seem to go away so was thinking maybe I was cleaning it wrong?

Anyone with the new model suggest best way to clean the screen or shall I get some sort of screen protector?

I would not recommend cleaning the screen with anything other than a slightly dampened lint free cloth? What product did you use to clean it?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Hi everyone,

Mine had some smudges. I used slight damp microfiber cloth to clean them off. For awhile it just seemed I was smearing them. So I switched to a second dry microfiber cloth and they they disappeared.

It seems whatever coating they are putting on the screen, it now is more hydrophobic and needs a wipe with a slightly damp cloth first and then a dry cloth.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"It seems whatever coating they are putting on the screen, it now is more hydrophobic and needs a wipe with a slightly damp cloth first and then a dry cloth."

You want to touch/wipe/whatever that screen as little as possible.
The anti-glare coating is a VERY thin spray-on, and the more you wipe/touch it, the greater the chances of that coating starting to flake off.

Hence... StainGate.

ca$hout

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2016
Hi everyone,

just been wiping it with a dry microfibre cloth to be honest.

so from the responses I should damp it first then wipe it dry?

thanks for the responses :)

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
just been wiping it with a dry microfibre cloth to be honest.

so from the responses I should damp it first then wipe it dry?

thanks for the responses :)

That is what works for me. I tried with just a very slightly damp microfiber first. That just seemed to smear things around. But that also meant any material was now loose. So I used a dry microfiber to give it a very light wipe and the screen was clean. Not perfect, but clean enough.

Don't not get obsessive about cleaning the screen. You can rub the coating right off if you rub and rub trying to get a perfectly clean screen.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I give it a very light wipe first with a dry cloth to dislodge most of the loose stuff. Virtually no pressure on the screen, just very lightly passing the microfibre cloth over the surface. Then I dampen the cloth and give it a more pressured clean.

So far so good.

As said, no chemicals. (Apart from dihydrogen monoxide!).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.