Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarbonImage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Hi Guys,

Long time no post, apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I have a 13" MBP suffering from screen delamination, and I'm trying to get it repaired. Apple have said that as it's close to the age where it's no longer eligible for repair, I have to provide the original purchase receipt.

Unfortunately it was bought online through the education portal when I was at University, and the receipt emailed to my University email account. I graduated 3 years ago and these accounts are deactivated after a year (something I was not aware of or I would have backed up the important stuff). So I cannot get the original email receipt.

They will not accept my bank statement showing the funds being taken out as proof of purchase either.

Is there anything I can do or am I screwed?

Based in the UK if that makes any difference.

CarbonImage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Bought from Apple via the "education portal"?

Yep, that's correct, through the online store. It gives education discounts automatically if connected through my University's network and signed in with a UK academic email address.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
If you bought it straight from Apple the receipt should be in their system I would think, and tied to your email / AppleID. Now, it’s probably tied to your .edu email but they should have no problem finding it.

Once when I nearly bought a new iPad
Pro off of Craigslist or Swappa (can’t recall), the guy told me he bought it at the Apple Store. I gave them a call, they ran the serial and could tell me immediately that it was purchased at Wal-Mart and the date. Needless to say I didn’t buy it, but clearly Apple has a system in place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.