Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

curtblaze303

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2023
Hello,

i am in the UK and own an iPhone 8 and i am with an independent sim network which is giffgaff. last Sunday or the 9th April i lost my phone on a bus and had to purchase another phone so i bought another iPhone 8 because i like them in terms of size etc; and i also had to get a replacement sim from giffgaff.

both phone and sim arrived and when it come time to setting up the iPhone after it said welcome and you choose your language etc. it asked me to restore from a certain date which i chose but mistakenly i chose a date a couple of days before i actually lost my phone, so vids and pics that i took up to and even on the day in the morning of me loosing my phone were not synced back to my phone when i restored my phone back.

and its those pics and vids i would like to retrieve, i have contacted apple support and he sent me some articles and done a restore on my device but still nothing.

i was wondering if i need to do a full reset and then choose a date after i lost the phone in order to see if i can try and retrieve my lost photos and vids?. would this be the necessary step to take if nothing else is working?

also i have taken a couple of more pics and vids on this new phone and synced them to the cloud, would they still be on my cloud storage still. even if i go back to a restore date after the original phone loss date but before i currently have new content from the now?.

the vids and photos in question were just in my photo album and i had not synced them to the cloud unless it does that automatically?

any suggestion or tips please?

Regards..

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Hello,

i am in the UK and own an iPhone 8 and i am with an independent sim network which is giffgaff. last Sunday or the 9th April i lost my phone on a bus and had to purchase another phone so i bought another iPhone 8 because i like them in terms of size etc; and i also had to get a replacement sim from giffgaff.

both phone and sim arrived and when it come time to setting up the iPhone after it said welcome and you choose your language etc. it asked me to restore from a certain date which i chose but mistakenly i chose a date a couple of days before i actually lost my phone, so vids and pics that i took up to and even on the day in the morning of me loosing my phone were not synced back to my phone when i restored my phone back.

and its those pics and vids i would like to retrieve, i have contacted apple support and he sent me some articles and done a restore on my device but still nothing.

i was wondering if i need to do a full reset and then choose a date after i lost the phone in order to see if i can try and retrieve my lost photos and vids?. would this be the necessary step to take if nothing else is working?

also i have taken a couple of more pics and vids on this new phone and synced them to the cloud, would they still be on my cloud storage still. even if i go back to a restore date after the original phone loss date but before i currently have new content from the now?.

the vids and photos in question were just in my photo album and i had not synced them to the cloud unless it does that automatically?

any suggestion or tips please?

Regards..

should have gotten a iPhone SE 3rd generation has you would have gotten much better space why keeping the size you love

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.