Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013
I recently acquired a cheap PowerBook G4 that I want to use as a portable retro gaming computer. I'd like to get a NES/SNES style controller but don't know what would be compatible with a system this old - it'll be running Tiger in order to take advantage of the Classic Mode.

Any advice is appreciated.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Yes, basically any old USB device should be usable when you plug it in, you would just use the software to map the buttons exactly as you want them.

There are a lot of places that mfg. both usb retro controllers, as well as places (Mayflash, for example) that mfg usb adaptors to plug in your existing console controllers. None of the software with that stuff would work with the G4, but the USB overdrive hopefully would.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
When Radio Shack was still a going concern, I bought a PSX to USB adapter like those described above. Depending on the programs you want to run, I found it was out of the box compatible with some emus; for those at bannister.org, his Emuator Enhancer plugin added USB support.

Garrod

Suspended
Nov 13, 2008
UK
I recently acquired a cheap PowerBook G4 that I want to use as a portable retro gaming computer. I'd like to get a NES/SNES style controller but don't know what would be compatible with a system this old - it'll be running Tiger in order to take advantage of the Classic Mode.

Any advice is appreciated.

This is Amazon UK but these look like exactly what you need: https://www.amazon.co.uk/NES-Nintendo-Classic-Style-Controller/dp/B00281PFQI

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electron...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=S8NC15KJ3BM1X7BKRTQ3

...used with the aforementioned USB Overdrive everything will be good to go!

Reactions: saturnotaku
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.