Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Recently i put Linux Mint on my old Dell Inspiron 580. i am not sure of the specs of the one i have but think it is the basic modal Core 2.No graphics card in it.Would it be worth putting one in there? I was thinking something like this ASUS GEFORCE GT 730 1GB PCI EXPRESS - GT730-SL-1GD3 .I had Windows on the Pc but forgot the password because i forgot the password as not used it for years, so i thought i would put Linux Mint on there so i can get the excellent Twister OS on there.
.I tried to put Linux Mint on a external drive on my Mac ,but unfortunately it went on internal drive.Good job i back up on Time machine.:)I must admit i am really getting in to Linux with the Raspberry Pi.Would the PC play Retro games as well as the Pi without the Graphics?

Last edited:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
It depends on what you mean by retro. Retro covers a wide range of years and platforms. It also means different things to different people.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Also depends on the specs (CPU speed and RAM). In any case, the GT 730 is an old low-end card. I'd go for at least an older mid-range card if I were to spend money on a GPU in the first place. Something like a GTX 660 or so.

Reactions: velocityg4

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Also depends on the specs (CPU speed and RAM). In any case, the GT 730 is an old low-end card. I'd go for at least an older mid-range card if I were to spend money on a GPU in the first place. Something like a GTX 660 or so.
i3 550. .I don,t want to pay that much, Would it work better than the PI with the 730?.
70 pound for the 660 one is to much.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Would it work better than the PI with the 730?.
Very likely but the 730 is still low-end, especially if you're getting a Fermi one. If it's just for Retropie I'd give the integrated Intel graphics a try first before spending anything on a GPU.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.