Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnc22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Atlanta
When I brought my wife over to my AT&T account in 2016 we both upgraded phones, her to an S7 and me to a Note 7 (which was recalled, and recalled again) and eventually and S7 Edge. We are still using these phones today. It's my first, and last, Android phone and I only did it because I liked the Note 7, and it was a BOGO deal and my wife insists on using Android. I was an every 2 year iPhone upgrader before getting married, 3G -> 4 -> 5 -> 6 Plus (I still have them all but the 4, which my dad drowned in a hot tub).

Android works fine for the most part, but certain things just aren't smooth and it's a fact that over time the phones just become sluggish and unresponsive. After 2-3 years (at least with the S7 era Android) the updates and security patches stop, regardless of any known vulnerabilities. The S7 Edge Android Auto app no longer connects to my car and even when it did it was slow and painful to use. I could probably factory reset it (again) but I'm tired of babying the thing. I could probably boot it into maintenance mode and clear all the caches, but who designs a consumer device to need this sort of maintenance?

We are about to embark on a 17 hour road trip (still afraid to fly) and I need functioning navigation. So, out of frustration with Android I pulled my old perfect condition iPhone 6 Plus out of a drawer, charged it up, restored it to factory (with the latest 12.xx.x patch) and moved my sim card over. The first time I connected it to my car Car Play was up and running in seconds and works flawlessly. The phone is much snappier than a 2 year newer Android (again I know a factory reset might even this out).

The final straw was this morning when the iPhone notified me of an important security update. So a phone that was released in September of 2014 is still receiving security updates from its vendor. That's why I'll stick with Apple from now on. We will upgrade phones this year so I look forward to an iPhone 12 - I'm sure I'll be blown away since I'm already enjoying my snappy 6+ year old iPhone 6 Plus.

Just sharing one person's experience of leaving the iPhone.

Last edited:

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
That's interesting insight! Thanks for sharing! If you don't mind me asking I wonder why your wife is adamant of using Android? Is this still the case and if yes why?

Last edited:

hyelton

macrumors member
May 23, 2015
The S7 didn’t age as well as something like the S9. I’d rather use an S9 than an iPhone 6 as an example.

But I’d use an iPhone 6 over an S7? Anyday hands down.

Reactions: MrKennedy

johnc22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Atlanta
That's interesting insight! Thanks for sharing! If you don't mind me asking I wonder why your wife is adamant of using Android? Is this still the case and if yes why?

I think stubbornness and being used to Android, and being contrarian given the cult-like behavior of Apple fans (but there's a reason for that, as I discussed above). I think she'll be receptive to an iPhone 12 Mini as she finds her S7 too big, and Android has nothing that small on offer that I'm aware of.

MrKennedy

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
The S7 didn’t age as well as something like the S9. I’d rather use an S9 than an iPhone 6 as an example.

But I’d use an iPhone 6 over an S7? Anyday hands down.

Well of course the S7 hasn't aged as well as the S9, it came out 2 years earlier!

Regardless, it's encouraging to hear OP's old iPhone is still kicking!

Reactions: LFC2020

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I think stubbornness and being used to Android, and being contrarian given the cult-like behavior of Apple fans (but there's a reason for that, as I discussed above). I think she'll be receptive to an iPhone 12 Mini as she finds her S7 too big, and Android has nothing that small on offer that I'm aware of.
Yeah, I don't like the cult-like behavior of Apple fans either. Moderation I enjoy, extreme opinions I do not. But then again I am technical person and I believe that competition is good for me as and end user. It makes brand innovate and do their best to satisfy my needs.

Indeed currently no mini phones on Android side. Mini is great, I considered it myself too but I was concerned about the battery life to be honest. She can check it out and see if it works for her ;).

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If you want iOS tethering to work reliably and not randomly disconnect all the time, keep an android phone also tethered to the Hotspot— it'll keep the connection aive even when it's asleep

Reactions: secretk

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
When I brought my wife over to my AT&T account in 2016 we both upgraded phones, her to an S7 and me to a Note 7 (which was recalled, and recalled again) and eventually and S7 Edge. We are still using these phones today. It's my first, and last, Android phone and I only did it because I liked the Note 7, and it was a BOGO deal and my wife insists on using Android. I was an every 2 year iPhone upgrader before getting married, 3G -> 4 -> 5 -> 6 Plus (I still have them all but the 4, which my dad drowned in a hot tub).

Android works fine for the most part, but certain things just aren't smooth and it's a fact that over time the phones just become sluggish and unresponsive. After 2-3 years (at least with the S7 era Android) the updates and security patches stop, regardless of any known vulnerabilities. The S7 Edge Android Auto app no longer connects to my car and even when it did it was slow and painful to use. I could probably factory reset it (again) but I'm tired of babying the thing. I could probably boot it into maintenance mode and clear all the caches, but who designs a consumer device to need this sort of maintenance?

We are about to embark on a 17 hour road trip (still afraid to fly) and I need functioning navigation. So, out of frustration with Android I pulled my old perfect condition iPhone 6 Plus out of a drawer, charged it up, restored it to factory (with the latest 12.xx.x patch) and moved my sim card over. The first time I connected it to my car Car Play was up and running in seconds and works flawlessly. The phone is much snappier than a 2 year newer Android (again I know a factory reset might even this out).

The final straw was this morning when the iPhone notified me of an important security update. So a phone that was released in September of 2014 is still receiving security updates from its vendor. That's why I'll stick with Apple from now on. We will upgrade phones this year so I look forward to an iPhone 12 - I'm sure I'll be blown away since I'm already enjoying my snappy 6+ year old iPhone 6 Plus.

First ... welcome back to the iOS clan and into the fold soon enough. 12 mini may suite your wifes needs. The key will be for any applications she's paid for on Android if they're available on iOS may need to repurchase them.

The portable MagSafe battery may help as well for those extended 10hr+ days or travels. There is a thread here were some of us have posted what was purchased ordered and our experiences. hopefully helpful.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
The portable MagSafe battery may help as well for those extended 10hr+ days or travels. There is a thread here were some of us have posted what was purchased ordered and our experiences. hopefully helpful.
For some reason I missed this part about the portable MagSafe battery. Maybe it is not just sold in my country and this is why I missed it. Thanks for sharing. I might try to look it up!

Reactions: Shanghaichica

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
For some reason I missed this part about the portable MagSafe battery. Maybe it is not just sold in my country and this is why I missed it. Thanks for sharing. I might try to look it up!
There's an article on the main page about the subject..

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

The 6 plus receives security updates sporadically if there is a major security risk. However outside of this it doesn’t receive software updates. This happens with older android phones too but not to the extent of older iPhones. I was also surprised at the end of 2020 I received a security update for my old galaxy note 4 which hasn’t been officially supported since 2017.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Typical android right here, yet all these android fan boys say how good android is these days, nothing has changed, android is still android, dumpster fire of a operating system. especially samsung phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.