Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Airbedruad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2022
There was some minor speculation earlier this year that Apple may be returning to designing and releasing wireless routers and access points. Perhaps including them into new models of products like HomePods and AppleTVs.
A good deal of the speculation centered around bits of code in the (then) unreleased iOS 16 based operating systems (TVOS, watchOS, HomePod) that had some hints about enhanced WiFi management baked in (as apposed to being handled by a Qualcomm chip).
Now that Apple’s patent applications on networking techniques for signal delivery and load balancing, network hub and device connection strategies, and multiple end device communications have been published, along with it’s new 6E capable iPad Pro I’ve started to wonder again if apple is exploring deploying it’s own integrated WiFi router program.
A deployment strategy using HomePods and AppleTVs would be intriguing; even using monitors (running on Apple silicon) and computers as access points to provide enhanced mesh/ IoT support.

I am interested in other peoples insights into which way the wind is blowing.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
There were theories that new AirPort HW would launch with the AS Mac Pro, like some other AirPort HW releases.

Also, the rumor is that Apple was no longer interested in AirPort due to there being cheap alternatives in the market that were very easy to use and set up. This was the opposite when AirPort first launched, with networking HW being expensive and difficult for the general public to set up 25 years ago.

Wifi 6 changed things a little. With Wifi 6 router prices still high, maybe Apple will consider jumping back in the market.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
BTW, I was an early adopter of AirPort. I cannot remember when I got it, but I think it was the first AirPort Extreme model. Maybe 2002ish. I upgraded a few times, and purchased a few AirPort Expresses over the years.

I am still using 6th gen AirPort Extremes at my house. I have five of them in my home, and I use one AirPort Express.

Airbedruad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2022
BTW, I was an early adopter of AirPort. I cannot remember when I got it, but I think it was the first AirPort Extreme model. Maybe 2002ish. I upgraded a few times, and purchased a few AirPort Expresses over the years.

I am still using 6th gen AirPort Extremes at my house. I have five of them in my home, and I use one AirPort Express.
Oh, I had the first gen grey airport. I still use my 802.11N extreme and last gen express. While they both work fine for my needs my smarthome is starting to fill up and I will need to swap over to a more robust WiFi environment.
6E is certainly attractive, even if only the new iPad Pro takes advantage of it right now.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I don't see them returning, but will be pleasantly surprised if they do. My last Airport was a 4th gen Extreme.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My question is what's in it for Apple? When Apple first released the airport, it was done so when few makers, they were an early-ish adopter - particularly for Macs.

Now that the market is mature, though every few years it seems we get a new standard how would apple differentiate their product from other more established makers?

I'm not saying they can't or won't but rather is it a business sector that could be profitable? I don't think so, they got out of that market for a reason - they were not making money imo.

Reactions: trusso and satcomer

Airbedruad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2022
My question is what's in it for Apple? When Apple first released the airport, it was done so when few makers, they were an early-ish adopter - particularly for Macs.

Now that the market is mature, though every few years it seems we get a new standard how would apple differentiate their product from other more established makers?

I'm not saying they can't or won't but rather is it a business sector that could be profitable? I don't think so, they got out of that market for a reason - they were not making money imo.
By integrating mesh router technology directly into their existing HomeKit products and monitors, tying them more closely to the IoT environment of the smart home; Along with offering Apple designed software controllers, they can add value to their existing product lines, future proof them, and much more closely align the company with the customization and security ethos they tout.
By streamlining the branding and experience they can add value to all their products, especially if they include the U1 ultra-wide band chip so that routers can “see” one another and adjust field strength accordingly.

By integrating directly WiFi7 technology and implementing it in an integrated fashion they steer fewer buyers to non-Apple products.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
By integrating mesh router technology directly
The thing is. you don't need need an apple branded mesh network to do that, Apple can do that right now. They seemed to have largely given up on homekit and things seem to be withering on the vine

By integrating directly WiFi7 technology
Their laptops do not even have Wifi 6e, I don't see them embracing new wireless standards any faster then their current glacial pace. Again, none of what you wrote requires an apple branded router, they can do that w/o needing an airport

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
My previous router was an Airport extreme 6th gen which served me very well. The only thing I hated about Airport routers was that making any change would take minutes to update, compared to almost every other router you make changes to kicks in almost instantly.

For the past several years, I've been using Amplifi Alien router and it's the best wifi router I've ever had. It's going to
be hard for another product to convince me to part ways with it.

I could definitely see Homepod minis implemented into a mesh network. Along with the ability to control the settings via iCloud. That would be an amazing feature for those that are clueless about using VPNs to access their router settings from anywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.