Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
I just sent back 2 iPhone SE's that I purchased for my wife and I. Both 128GB, White, brand new 2020 SE's. BOTH had the same problems right out of the box:

1. Bad cell antenna

2. Unresponsive/glitchy touch screen

I'm not one to nitpick cell phones, or even need flagship quality. I rocked an iPhone 8 base model for 3 years before making the transition. But there's something fishy about the 2020 SE that I don't think has been revealed yet. We already know it's just an iPhone 8 with an A13 chip inside. But I suspect some parts are weaker than even that. Particularly the cell antenna. Ever since I first booted up the new phone, my cell quality was trash. Every single person I talked to said they had a VERY hard time understanding me, that the connection broke up constantly. Every. Single. Time. I did a factory reset, I had the latest software. Even my iPhone 8 that I used for THREE YEARS never had the cell reception issues that the new SE did.

My wife experienced the very same cell reception problem. We could hear people just fine, but they could hardly hear us for all the disruption in the signal. I called local businesses, 1-800 numbers, even other iPhones -- all phone calls were riddled with poor cell reception. My iPhone 8 - supposedly the SAME physical device as the SE - never once had that issue.

Next, we found the touch screen to be unresponsive along the bottom and right sides of the display. Even raising the volume on the music player took a few swipes sometimes to get the screen to respond. Scrolling on the right side was equally finnicky. This was not a deal breaker by itself, but a frustration that I figured an eventual OS update would address. But coupled with the very poor cell reception, I decided to beat my return window to the punch and send the devices back. We've since gone with an XR and 11. Several hundred more dollars total than I wanted to spend -- wanting so much for the cost effective deal on the SE to be a dream come true -- but at the end of the day, we use our phones for 2-3 years and need these things to be 100% reliable.

A small note that's not a glitch, but a reality you must face with the SE: The battery is trash. You WILL charge this thing every day. Sometimes more, depending on your usage. I had a FaceTime call that took my battery from 40% to 6% in less than an hour. It's an outdated battery, we all know that. In theory, it sounds fine. "I'll just charge every night, no big deal." Depending on what device you're coming from, this could be a bigger annoyance than you think. Again - that wasn't a deal breaker alone, but roll it all together, and the SE just failed to be a reliable device even for $399. It's the first iPhone that truly felt "budget" to me. (Maybe the 5C was, but I never owned that, so I can't speak to it.)

I owned the standard iPhone 8 for 3 years and found it to be a better, more reliable phone than the 2020 SE which is supposedly the same thing with better internals.

Just my experience. As always, YMMV.

Reactions: DoubleDragon1987

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Definitely got a bad pair. Same color and storage here without any of those issue. The antenna is actually one of the stronger upgrades I'm noticing.

Reactions: NickName99

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Glad yours worked out. If it was just me, I'd do a swap for a new device. But 2 phones, same issues, same day purchase? Not acceptable. Not sure why ours were so bad, but it just wasn't working out. These things are too expensive to treat like a gumball machine, hoping for a "good one" every time I order. They should simply just work, as is.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
Glad yours worked out. If it was just me, I'd do a swap for a new device. But 2 phones, same issues, same day purchase? Not acceptable. Not sure why ours were so bad, but it just wasn't working out. These things are too expensive to treat like a gumball machine, hoping for a "good one" every time I order. They should simply just work, as is.

I have the 128GB Black model on AT&T. I have not experienced any of these problems as of yet. It does seem odd to have 2 of the same color purchased on the same day to have the exact same issues. If it were me I would have reacted the exact same way you did.

My experience with the device is it’s well worth it’s $399. Has the performance of a $800 device and the camera of a $700 device. My cell reception and WiFi connectivity has been top notch. Screen works great all over as well.

This sucks to be honest. You had to spend several more hundred dollars because of this issue. Whereas all the SE had to do for you is work and you would have been satisfied. I also feel like you would have liked the device had it worked correctly. I Willa free that battery life is nothing to write home about and I would compare it to the battery life of the iPhone 7. Definitely could have used a step up on the battery department.

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
I have the 128GB Black model on AT&T. I have not experienced any of these problems as of yet. It does seem odd to have 2 of the same color purchased on the same day to have the exact same issues. If it were me I would have reacted the exact same way you did.

My experience with the device is it’s well worth it’s $399. Has the performance of a $800 device and the camera of a $700 device. My cell reception and WiFi connectivity has been top notch. Screen works great all over as well.

This sucks to be honest. You had to spend several more hundred dollars because of this issue. Whereas all the SE had to do for you is work and you would have been satisfied. I also feel like you would have liked the device had it worked correctly. I Willa free that battery life is nothing to write home about and I would compare it to the battery life of the iPhone 7. Definitely could have used a step up on the battery department.

Yeah, if Apple stores were still open near me, I'd probably just go in and do a device swap same day. But all the mailing back and forth involved on the chance that the next devices didn't work either was not something I felt like dealing with these days.

And to be honest, it was the battery life that killed it for me in the end. I'd probably just muddle through, troubleshoot, or device swap if cell reception/screen issues were all that plagued me. I mean, I had an 8 for years. I'm fine with the device size and function. But discovering that the 1800mAh battery just wasn't fitting my heavy daily use life anymore was an eye opener that I didn't quite expect. I also didn't expect to be working from home as much as I do now, doing FaceTime, Slack chatting, and Zoom meetings daily (in addition to my usual podcast and YouTube listening). The SE's battery just couldn't keep up without me having to find a charger midday, or dipping below 10% battery while on a work Zoom meeting.

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
Not sure if this may have been your problem and I cannot address the screen issue but I have noticed with both the Xs and the Xr, depending on how I held those phones the audio would be impacted. There is a noise canceling mic on the back of those phone right at the camera lenses. If I held either of those phones up near that mic, the audio quality would suffer. I could hear people I was talking to just fine, but my voice would be either very low or garbled. If I held the phone near the bottom, everything would be fine.
Again, I am not sure if this was the problem you were experiencing but it sure sounds from your description like it's a possibility.

Reactions: AppleWes

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
My XR had a terrible time with audio quality of my voice on the receiver's end. Often times saying they thought I sounded distant or under water. Didn't matter where I was or signal strength either. Pretty sure that issue was widespread on the XR.

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
Again, I did have that issue and figured it out. It had to do with holding the phone with my fingers close to the camera lenses. If the noise canceling mic up there is covered or closely interfered with what you describe would happen. It wasn't just my phone. I researched this and found that it was an issue with any iphone when held that way.

Reactions: brucemr

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
For me it’s the opposite. I get better reception on my SE than I did on my 11 pro max. Same carrier. Same SIM card. Worked out for me.

Reactions: brucemr

Kelizrm

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2020
Southeast
I just sent back 2 iPhone SE's that I purchased for my wife and I. Both 128GB, White, brand new 2020 SE's. BOTH had the same problems right out of the box:

1. Bad cell antenna

I'm not one to nitpick cell phones, or even need flagship quality. I rocked an iPhone 8 base model for 3 years before making the transition. But there's something fishy about the 2020 SE that I don't think has been revealed yet. We already know it's just an iPhone 8 with an A13 chip inside. But I suspect some parts are weaker than even that. Particularly the cell antenna. Ever since I first booted up the new phone, my cell quality was trash. Every single person I talked to said they had a VERY hard time understanding me, that the connection broke up constantly. Every. Single. Time. I did a factory reset, I had the latest software. Even my iPhone 8 that I used for THREE YEARS never had the cell reception issues that the new SE did.

My wife experienced the very same cell reception problem. We could hear people just fine, but they could hardly hear us for all the disruption in the signal. I called local businesses, 1-800 numbers, even other iPhones -- all phone calls were riddled with poor cell reception. My iPhone 8 - supposedly the SAME physical device as the SE - never once had that issue.

Next, we found the touch screen to be unresponsive along the bottom and right sides of the display. Even raising the volume on the music player took a few swipes sometimes to get the screen to respond. Scrolling on the right side was equally finnicky. This was not a deal breaker by itself, but a frustration that I figured an eventual OS update would address. But coupled with the very poor cell reception, I decided to beat my return window to the punch and send the devices back. We've since gone with an XR and 11. Several hundred more dollars total than I wanted to spend -- wanting so much for the cost effective deal on the SE to be a dream come true -- but at the end of the day, we use our phones for 2-3 years and need these things to be 100% reliable.

A small note that's not a glitch, but a reality you must face with the SE: The battery is trash. You WILL charge this thing every day. Sometimes more, depending on your usage. I had a FaceTime call that took my battery from 40% to 6% in less than an hour. It's an outdated battery, we all know that. In theory, it sounds fine. "I'll just charge every night, no big deal." Depending on what device you're coming from, this could be a bigger annoyance than you think. Again - that wasn't a deal breaker alone, but roll it all together, and the SE just failed to be a reliable device even for $399. It's the first iPhone that truly felt "budget" to me. (Maybe the 5C was, but I never owned that, so I can't speak to it.)

I owned the standard iPhone 8 for 3 years and found it to be a better, more reliable phone than the 2020 SE which is supposedly the same thing with better internals.

YES, I’ve experienced call quality problems ever since receiving my phone. Same as your description: the caller has trouble understanding me because the call breaks up constantly! So will Apple take it back without penalizing me??
K

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
My mother moved from Android to the SE 64gb in black a few days after launch here in the UK.
Due to the current lockdown situation, phone is our only current mode of contact and she hasn’t mentioned any issues with any part of the phones functionality (she’s a very picky person when it comes to stuff like this), nor have I noticed any connection issues during our calls. Her network doesn’t even support WiFi calling, so as such is always using her 4G connection.

I think you and your wife have possibly been on the receiving end of a faulty batch of devices, you are correct though in saying things like this shouldn’t happen.
Just try to remember the situation the world found itself in around the time of manufacture, maybe QA slipped slightly during the onset of the pandemic.
If I were in your position myself, I would ask for replacement devices and hope that things are better the second time around.

pbonitati

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2015
Rhode Island
I think we can all celebrate the departure of Intel modems! I will respectfully say my goodbyes to the Intel era and enjoy some real connectivity!

Reactions: Kelizrm

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014

1. Bad cell antenna

Funny, I got my wife the white, 128gb u locked version. Immediately I noticed a few issues. The reception wasn't as good as the 1st gen SE. driving around the peninsula near us (granted not great with reception) using CarPlay yielded worse results than when using her previous SE. It seemed like the device tended to run hot. Today she got a warning prompt on her phone After streaming some video for a few minutes saying it was getting too hot and would shut off soon or something like that. Granted it was a hot day in Cali and she takes her lunch in the car but she's been doing that for years and that's a first for her. Also the speakers sound lacks clarity and the screen vibrates A LOT when you touch it while it's playing music. Not sure if this is just a difference between the SE 2020 and my 11 but I have nothing else to compare it to. I feel the same as the OP, think I might exchange it for an 11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.