Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I went from m2 to m4 and it feels like day and night.
better brightness, better colours, better contrast. But the absolute joy was in near darkness. No more blooming!
so far the m4 didn’t heat up when connected to an external 5k display and being driven well with 5 active apps.
and that all in an 11” frame instead of the 12.9” I had before.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Totally disagree. Night and day difference between my 5 gen iPad Pro 12.9 and my 2024 iPad Pro 13. Screen is so much brighter and better colors/deeper, it is so light and thin now, finally face id where it belongs, etc…. Magic Keyboard really improved.

My gen 5 looks like a dinosaur now. No way could go back. Apple did a fantastic job.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I'm on the fence about it. I've owned every OLED iphone, several OLED TVs, the mini-LED 12.9 M1 and a MBP M3 Max 16"

I'm just not sure how much better the screen can be. OK if you sit side by side you'll notice a bit better contrast or pop (which could be considered over-saturation) on OLED. You'll see bloom in extreme circumstances on mini-LED.

But the blacks are real black on both technologies, and that's the thing most people notice and go wow at.

Timmy said it's the biggest change since the iPad was launched ... I'd say mini-LED was, and OLED is just an evolution of that, to the eye.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
You'll see bloom in extreme circumstances on mini-LED. But the blacks are real black on both technologies, and that's the thing most people notice and go wow at.
Blooming is glaringly obvious when reading light text on black background in the dark. That’s one use case for which OLED makes an important difference, and why some of us are excited by finally getting it on the iPad. It also makes a significant difference in certain movie scenes, like star fields, or when watching with subtitles.

Another improvement is just the SDR brightness. Some YouTube reviewers have compared old and new iPad Pro outside in bright daylight, and OLED makes the difference between unusable and usable there.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
I'm on the fence about it. I've owned every OLED iphone, several OLED TVs, the mini-LED 12.9 M1 and a MBP M3 Max 16"

I'm just not sure how much better the screen can be. OK if you sit side by side you'll notice a bit better contrast or pop (which could be considered over-saturation) on OLED. You'll see bloom in extreme circumstances on mini-LED.

But the blacks are real black on both technologies, and that's the thing most people notice and go wow at.

Timmy said it's the biggest change since the iPad was launched ... I'd say mini-LED was, and OLED is just an evolution of that, to the eye.

Save your money. You're welcome.

Gooner49

macrumors demi-god
Jun 26, 2013
Chicago, IL
The slim form factor and weight alone were enough to justify the purchase.

This was for my wife, and she immediately noticed the device's slimness and could tell that the screen was sharper than our 5th-gen iPad Pro 12.9 (which we traded in).
I do agree that this purchase might not be for everyone especially if you have a M-series iPad Pro (M1/M2).

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

You can give it a try and return it if you don't see the value. There's a lot of personal preference & perception involved so other people's opinions either side of it aren't as important as your own experience.

Whisper9999

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2023
Glad you were able to test it out and determine it wasn’t the right fit for you. Hope you either already had or are able to find what you are looking for.
These iPads are a luxury item, most people should not be buying them in these fiscally tough times. You should only buy them if you are well off financially. I got mine today, pretty happy with it so far. Gave the M1 to my wife.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Blooming is glaringly obvious when reading light text on black background in the dark. That’s one use case for which OLED makes an important difference, and why some of us are excited by finally getting it on the iPad. It also makes a significant difference in certain movie scenes, like star fields, or when watching with subtitles.
What type of psycho reads in the dark with light text on a black background? Do you just hate your eyes? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.