Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenni417

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2019
Ontario, Canada
bought the airpods gen 3 today at the apple store. i used to have the airpods pro, but the tips were really uncomfortable and they gave my ear canals some irritation/allergic reaction. was definitely looking forward to the gen 3, upgrading from the gen 2. unfortunately i have to return them. i just can’t get a good fit. they barely fit in my ears and always feel like they’re about to fall off. also find them pretty uncomfortable, with ear fatigue. already feeling some pain. it really sucks because i absolutely love the new features added like spatial audio, findmy support, better battery life etc. i was also disappointed when i compared the sound quality to the gen 2. the bass wasn’t as good as i thought it would be considering they made new drivers. they just don’t sound as punchy as the gen 2. i have to stick with them as the fit is perfect for my ears, locked in, like a glove. they pretty much floated. no pain. also better sound/bass in my opinion. anyone else with the same experience?

Last edited:

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
If anything I feel the bass is a little overpowered and the mids and highs get lost compared to the AP2 ... but that's probably becuase the AP2 had quite low bass IMO.

My AP3 deffo have more bass than the AP2

Reactions: 827538 and one more

Canyonero

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Same issue with fit. They don’t actually fall out but feel like falling out, especially when chewing or talking. Constantly finding myself adjusting them. Gonna have to return and get a new pair of the previous gen.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I agree with you the AirPods 3 aren't as comfortable as the previous gens but in terms of bass I totally disagree, these things blow away the previous AirPods in terms of bass.

The only thing I really dislike is the squeeze stalks, they are such a stupid a difficult to use feature compared to tapping. I'm keeping mine as the sound quality is a major improvement over previous gens and they have great battery life and spatial audio. I'll get used to the slightly too big size and squeeze stalks.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
If you feel the audio needs a tweak, you can go into Accessibility and Audio/Visual, then Headphone Accomodations. If the 3 predefined options do nothing for you, try custom setup.

I went thru it and it did a little boost to "balanced" and the difference is nice.

Mw0103

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2014
Same issue with fit. They don’t actually fall out but feel like falling out, especially when chewing or talking. Constantly finding myself adjusting them. Gonna have to return and get a new pair of the previous gen.
Same, except the Gen 3’s actually do fall out of my ears when talking (and loosen just sitting still). Gens 1 and 2 stay put in my ears no matter what. I’m disappointed because I like the shorter stems and the audio upgrades. Returning and exchanging for a new set of Gen 2s with wireless charging case (while still available).

Reactions: Canyonero
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.