Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hillbilly181

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
Is this possible at no charge?
I'm thinking of getting Sprint for the truly unlimited data. I work nights sometimes and would like to watch my NBA subscription through my phone. ATT reduces speed at 5gb and each game alone is 3.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
You're talking about Sprint….they can be very slow in some areas that aren't updated, yet.

Thus, I suggest asking someone that has them how they are in your area, before making the switch.

Yes, they are truly unlimited, but in some areas, trying to stream something is ridiculous.

I've never had a problem with them, but I'm mainly in large urban areas that have already been updated.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Let me save you headaches and hundreds of dollars (or even thousands depending on how long you stay with sprint)

DON'T DO IT!DON'T DO IT!DON'T DO IT!DON'T DO IT!DON'T DO IT!DON'T DO IT!DON'T DO IT!DON'T DO IT!DON'T DO IT!DON'T DO IT!DON'T DO IT!DON'T DO IT!

My motto for them after only 3 months: "Unlimited data you can't use"

Their network drops to 2G consistently. 3G is sporadic at best. LTE is insanely limited and doesn't work most of the time. I had switched my family out of Sprint at the cost of $300 ETF per line and it was well worth it. They are terrible.

We are now on TMobile and extremely happy with everything. The beauty of tmobile is back in 09-12 they started farming their 3G network to the faux-4G although very fast 21MPS AWS network. So even when you're out of LTE or is in an area without LTE my phone never drops to 3G! It always goes to 4G which is still insanely fast and in most cases even faster than LTE on Sprint.

You're welcome.

Oh and TMobile is truly unlimited - they don't throttle unlike ATT who throttles at 5 gig. Unlimited everything is $70/month. Even if you factor in full priced iPhones its still a deal and youre not locked into a contract.

hillbilly181

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
Also if I just pay $325 to go off contract can I sign up for one of those cheap companies that use sprint's signal but offer cheap services?

Also what other services like T-Mobile are they truly unlimited?

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Also if I just pay $325 to go off contract can I sign up for one of those cheap companies that use sprint's signal but offer cheap services?

Also what other services like T-Mobile are they truly unlimited?

read above. Yes truly unlimited. Their CEO went on the record to say theyre not throttling. I use 7-8gig a month on average - all at insanely fast speed.

Not to mention there were numerous times where I go to the Sprint store (at least 2-3 different locations) and I couldn't get service in their own shop!

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
You'll probably be better off going with tmobile over Sprint if you need unlimited data. You'll have a hard time trying to stream games over Sprints 3G network. It's very slow.

hillbilly181

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
Thanks guys. I am eating breakfast at the moment with my friend and I picked up his Sprint phone and it is indeed 3G. This is in the middle of LA where most phones are always LTE or 4G

It would be very hard to stream with that.
So Tmobile has good 4G or LTE coverage all over? Can I buy a 5c on contract with them or would I have to ETF this one?

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Thanks guys. I am eating breakfast at the moment with my friend and I picked up his Sprint phone and it is indeed 3G. This is in the middle of LA where most phones are always LTE or 4G

So Tmobile has good 4G or LTE coverage all over? Can I buy a 5c on contract with them or would I have to ETF this one?

Wise choice. Sprint is awful in every measurable aspect. Its 3G speeds almost never go above 1Mbps, its LTE speeds are similar to HSPA+ speeds of Tmo and ATT, and yeah...lol. Maybe in a few years they'll catch up.

Tmobile doesn't have contracts. You basically have interest free monthly payments on the device until its paid off.

Right now Tmobile has $0 down on the 5C and you pay like $25/month or whatever, or you can buy it outright for $550.

LTE service is good in all major metro areas. Sometimes you'll have faster speeds than ATT due to congestion. In the city i live in, theres Tmobile LTE and no ATT LTE, funny how that works. Theres a 5S speed test on youtube comparing an ATT and Tmo 5S speed. the Tmo was getting 20mbps+ while ATT was stuck around 5-6.

Only downside with Tmo you'll be throttled after 5.5gb meh lol.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

Just curious. As a Sprint customer myself, I am not defending them, but Sprint has rolled out LTE to greater Los Angeles for some time now. It should be available.

So my question. Is your friend's phone an LTE device? If it isn't you wouldn't be getting LTE anyway. And if his device is 4G WiMax, then you aren't going to get LTE either because that's different than LTE.

BishamonX

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2011
Is this possible at no charge?
I'm thinking of getting Sprint for the truly unlimited data. I work nights sometimes and would like to watch my NBA subscription through my phone. ATT reduces speed at 5gb and each game alone is 3.

Choose carefully. Each carrier performs differently in each market. If you reside in a launched Sprint LTE market you should be fine. Otherwise, you will likely be unhappy with the legacy network until network upgrades arrive.

T-Mobile is great if you are in/near metropolitan areas. If not, you may be a 2G coverage area and will be highly disappointed.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Just curious. As a Sprint customer myself, I am not defending them, but Sprint has rolled out LTE to greater Los Angeles for some time now. It should be available.

So my question. Is your friend's phone an LTE device? If it isn't you wouldn't be getting LTE anyway. And if his device is 4G WiMax, then you aren't going to get LTE either because that's different than LTE.

He covered it pretty well!

Your friend would also have to have LTE on in the settings, because many phones provide an option of turning it off, including the iPhone.

Depending on which direction I'm going, I toggle mine on or off…the further away from Seattle I go, the more spotty the LTE, but if I am going in towards the city, I leave it on, since I know it's readily available.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010

I live in Santa Monica right around the I10/405 intersecton. My friends with Sprint is ALWAYS struggling with LTE on full bars (you see this is Sprint's way to deceive you). When I had sprint they would always show 3G LTE and full bars and the phone straight up would not work.

I've been with TMobile in LA for half a year and I've always consistently gotten amazing results. Plus it has data while you're calling which is great for GPS use while driving and using your bluetooth to make calls.

hillbilly181

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
Wait I'm confused guys what's the consensus? Is tmobile unlimited LTE or throttled at 5.5?

Is there a way to get truly unlimited ATT?

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Choose carefully. Each carrier performs differently in each market. If you reside in a launched Sprint LTE market you should be fine. Otherwise, you will likely be unhappy with the legacy network until network upgrades arrive.

T-Mobile is great if you are in/near metropolitan areas. If not, you may be a 2G coverage area and will be highly disappointed.

2G areas are rare. If you dont get LTE, most of the time you'll get HSPA+

Wait I'm confused guys what's the consensus? Is tmobile unlimited LTE or throttled at 5.5?

Tmobile's website clearly says 5GB of high speed data, then 2G speeds. There is no way to get true unlimited, every carrier will throttle you eventually except Sprint, but sprint is pretty useless without LTE.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010

Are you not reading anything I posted?

Forget this. Just get sprint then LOL I'm done trying to save someone the agony.

#later

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-25 at 11.05.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-25 at 11.05.54 AM.png
    81.7 KB · Views: 110

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I had Sprint of all of 1 day, and returned it, canceled the contract and went back to Verizon. Yup, cost more, but better coverage and much faster download/upload speed. Don't care about the so called, draw one in, unlimited data. It was lousy in my area, Clearwater Florida

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
2G areas are rare. If you dont get LTE, most of the time you'll get HSPA+

Tmobile's website clearly says 5GB of high speed data, then 2G speeds. There is no way to get true unlimited, every carrier will throttle you eventually except Sprint, but sprint is pretty useless without LTE.

What plan are you on that offers 5 gig? Sounds like an older plan or something they don't offer any more.

http://www.electronista.com/article...caps.will.see.throttling.to.3g/#ixzz2SdcFd3C2

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Sprint 3G is truly awful. If that's all that's available in your area then I would definitely stick with AT&T. If you're in one of the few areas with Sprint LTE like I am then I say go for it.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Last edited:

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
You have a limited window to return that 5C. Do it quick.

My only question is if you are watching a game, where are you for 3.5 hours that you can't get a wifi signal?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…My friends with Sprint is ALWAYS struggling with LTE on full bars (you see this is Sprint's way to deceive you). When I had sprint they would always show 3G LTE and full bars and the phone straight up would not work. ….
This is not a deception. You are mistaking bars as a representation of the strength of signal for DATA.

No phone and no carrier uses bars that way. The bars only represent the strength of your VOICE signal. You can have full bars because you have excellent voice coverage and get piss-poor data because that is not what the bars represent.

Voice is delivered on GPRS (2G) or 1xRTT. Data is delivered on 3G or 4G/LTE. You will always be on GPRS/2G or 1xRTT when talking on the phone even if you are in excellent 4G/LTE coverage. Since GPRS/2G and or Rx1TT is old tech and built out across the countery this is why you can have full bars and crappy data in a poor 4G/LTE reception area.

Last edited:

Preed08

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
The other guys are right with sprint. I switched to them two years ago with the 4s and the absolutely horrendous Sprint 3G network. I roughed through that for a couple months because i loved the phone and because I knew sprint was in the process of an NATIONWIDE network upgrade. Ended up switching to the Evo Lte and then the LTE network lit up, it was fast besides the spotty coverage. This was summer 2012.
During the time of my contract, I've always been an advocate of sprint and told everybody to give them the benefit of the doubt because I just knew that when that upgrade was complete, it would be great, because they were upgrading every last one of their towers (even the rural ones)
Fast forward to now, I'm just tired. Before I switched to Sprint, I had tmobile, and was hitting 24 Mbps on the galaxy s2 easily. Two years later on sprint I can barely hit 4-5 Mbps on LTE, the 3G is STILL almost completely unusable, and the LTE sometimes has sub 3G speeds.
I'm done. I was able to score a silver 64 gig 5s this past Friday for Sprint, but just counting the days till my gold for tmobile arrives so I can hurriedly take this **** back

One final thing though, with softbanks acquisition of Sprint and subsequent inflow of money, the network buildout should bear results soon. They SHOULD be better than tmobile because tmobile is only a city carrier with ****** rural coverage and speeds, while sprint should have LTE whenever you have signal. But I'm simply too tired to wait...

This is not a deception. You are mistaking bars as a representation of the strength of signal for DATA.

No phone and no carrier uses bars that way. The bars only represent the strength of your VOICE signal. You can have full bars because you have excellent voice coverage and get piss-poor data because that is not what the bars represent.

This isn't entirely true. The iPhone shows your true LTE signal level

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This isn't entirely true. The iPhone shows your true LTE signal level
I disagree. I'm not in a complete LTE area yet and I have full bars. I'm in an excellent 3G coverage area. When I am speaking on the phone I still have full bars but I am on 1xRTT. If your statement is true should I not see zero bars because I'm not getting any LTE, especially when my LTE switch is on?

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010

Voice is delivered on EDGE (2G) or 1xRTT. Data is delivered on 3G or 4G/LTE. You will always be on EDGE/2G or 1xRTT when talking on the phone even if you are in excellent 4G/LTE coverage. Since EDGE/2G and or Rx1TT is old tech and built out across the countery this is why you can have full bars and crappy data in a poor 4G/LTE reception area.

Let me explain, what I meant to say was that even if the phone has the LTE or 3G/4G icon it still doesn't work. Shouldn't it not show the icon then if there is no service to be had?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.