Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I had a year where I flip flopped a lot, changed phones a lot, and returned quite a few more than you did (long story not worth getting into here, but as far as Apple was concerned there was nothing wrong with the phones we returned). It got to a point where if I tried to order a phone through apple.com and used my phone number, it simply said "you can't any more" (or some similar verbiage). A few months later, whatever limit I had hit was gone and it was a non-issue. But either way, they never rejected a return.

Also, if you go to a different retailer, like a Best Buy, it's a completely different system. So even if you did have an issue (which you won't at this point), you could go get one elsewhere.

In addition to all of that, a couple of your returns have been for legit reasons out of your control. You're completely fine here. They can tell when people are truly abusing their generous return policies, and you're not in their crosshairs.

Last edited:

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
I had a year where I flip flopped a lot, changed phones a lot, and returned quite a few more than you did (long story not worth getting into here, but as far as Apple was concerned there was nothing wrong with the phones we returned). It got to a point where if I tried to order a phone through apple.com and used my phone number, it simply said "you can't any more" (or some similar verbiage). A few months later, whatever limit I had hit was gone and it was a non-issue. But either way, they never rejected a return.

Also, if you go to a different retailer, like a Best Buy, it's a completely different system. So even if you did have an issue (which you won't at this point), you could go get one elsewhere.

In addition to all of that, a couple of your returns have been for legit reasons out of your control. You're completely fine here. They can tell when people are truly abusing their generous return policies, and you're not in their crosshairs.
Can you say how many more phones you returned before this became an issue? That would help me understand

Did the website not allow you to order any new products at all, or just stopped you from ordering phones? What did you end up doing -- could you still buy from the physical store?

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Nothing to worry about, even amazon are good takes a bit longer to get a refund with them though.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
What are you talking about with regards to a call — when you purchase? They’ll ask for you to confirm via phone because they’ll want to tell you that you’re returning too many things?
Yeah that was my experience back then, which happened After second return. Idk why they wanted to confirm, but system triggered a call back request before product could be released.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
not sure why OP is seeing so much push back. the man is more than obligated to take as much advantage of apple's return policy as he wants. what's the prob?

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
Can you say how many more phones you returned before this became an issue? That would help me understand

Did the website not allow you to order any new products at all, or just stopped you from ordering phones? What did you end up doing -- could you still buy from the physical store?

Dude, your fine. Relax. Everyone is telling you that you are fine.

I am sure Apple changes their algorithms that flags suspicious activity frequently. I am also sure individual experience vary wildly, as these algorithms are not uniformly applied. Any actual “number” answer you get won’t really help you. So just relax. You are fine.

And as everyone has already pointed out, if anything does happen, you can just order from someone else, or order the device in your spouses, siblings, childs, etc. name until the hold on your name drops off.

Seriously you are fine.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Editing to add TL;DR: may end up returning 14 Pro, and two 15 Pros within 1 year timeframe, concerned it will look bad

Okay so to make a long story short, I upgraded my iPhone X to an iPhone 14 Pro this summer, but ended up returning it at around 14 days in because I just could not get over the super aggressive photo processing pipeline. This was a 1TB iPhone 14 Pro, a case, and Apple Care+.

Well, after the 15 Pro release, and realizing that my X is no longer supported by iOS, I realized that I will be forced to upgrade soon, since apps I use (like 1password) will eventually not even support iOS. I also would prefer better battery among other things.

Anyways, I picked up a 15 Pro 1TB... Opened it... And, the rear glass had an issue, it felt loose (yes, loose) and was clicking. I immediately drove to the store, and started a return on the way there, not realizing it would result in a shipping label. Once I got there, I explained I simply wanted to return it, and figure out if I'd buy another phone later. I wanted it off my hands. So they completed a return for me on this iPhone as well. There's now two returns for the same phone in my account, one completed (the in person one) and one started (the shipping one), but I called them and they said this is fine, the shipping one will simply disappear. I told them I didn't want it to look like I was trying to pull any funny business.

However I am worried I'll look suspicious or will be flagged if I purchase another iPhone 15 Pro, and end up not liking the camera and returning it. The employee insisted that would not happen, and even went so far as to say that someone could buy an iPhone, return it in 14 days, do the same thing, and just repeatedly do that for a whole year and it wasn't an issue -- but I do not believe them. I'm sure there is a limit, and I don't want to end up crossing it. I mean presumably it is way more than 3, because someone could buy phones for their whole family and end up returning them?

I don't really think it's my fault that this particular iPhone I purchased had a cosmetic defect, but I don't know if it was registered that way in their system. I think it was just a normal return.

Presumably, reading Reddit threads like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/amz6wj
.. Indicates to me that I should be fine, because this dude apparently returned hundreds of phones before it became an issue, and it sounds like he's not even banned from buying Apple stuff, just banned from some stores.

Am I overthinking this / being too paranoid here? I just really really do not want to get on some sort of flagged list for returning too much stuff.

I just want to be able to try out the 15 Pro and decide if I like it. That was my goal, which is why I am not happy that the iPhone I was sent was defective. Maybe I should have just done an exchange, but I wasn't in the mood.
For perspective, Apple sells almost a million iPhones per business day. They don’t care about someone making a couple exchanges, because the vast majority of buyers just keep their initial purchase.

redpandadev

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
If this is an Apple Store that you are returning these to, I promise they don't care. Even a slow Apple Store sees dozens of returns every day, they don't remember you and they aren't tracking you. You need to buy and return quantities in the 100s of phones before they notice who you are and even if they do, they won't even try to stop you unless they can prove that you are somehow conducting fraudulent business. At worst they drill you about why because they want to solve the issue you are having rather then have you return this phone buy another and have the same issue. Source: I worked there.

TokyoKiller

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2023
Editing to add TL;DR: may end up returning 14 Pro, and two 15 Pros within 1 year timeframe, concerned it will look bad

Okay so to make a long story short, I upgraded my iPhone X to an iPhone 14 Pro this summer, but ended up returning it at around 14 days in because I just could not get over the super aggressive photo processing pipeline. This was a 1TB iPhone 14 Pro, a case, and Apple Care+.

Well, after the 15 Pro release, and realizing that my X is no longer supported by iOS, I realized that I will be forced to upgrade soon, since apps I use (like 1password) will eventually not even support iOS. I also would prefer better battery among other things.

Anyways, I picked up a 15 Pro 1TB... Opened it... And, the rear glass had an issue, it felt loose (yes, loose) and was clicking. I immediately drove to the store, and started a return on the way there, not realizing it would result in a shipping label. Once I got there, I explained I simply wanted to return it, and figure out if I'd buy another phone later. I wanted it off my hands. So they completed a return for me on this iPhone as well. There's now two returns for the same phone in my account, one completed (the in person one) and one started (the shipping one), but I called them and they said this is fine, the shipping one will simply disappear. I told them I didn't want it to look like I was trying to pull any funny business.

However I am worried I'll look suspicious or will be flagged if I purchase another iPhone 15 Pro, and end up not liking the camera and returning it. The employee insisted that would not happen, and even went so far as to say that someone could buy an iPhone, return it in 14 days, do the same thing, and just repeatedly do that for a whole year and it wasn't an issue -- but I do not believe them. I'm sure there is a limit, and I don't want to end up crossing it. I mean presumably it is way more than 3, because someone could buy phones for their whole family and end up returning them?

I don't really think it's my fault that this particular iPhone I purchased had a cosmetic defect, but I don't know if it was registered that way in their system. I think it was just a normal return.

Presumably, reading Reddit threads like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/amz6wj
.. Indicates to me that I should be fine, because this dude apparently returned hundreds of phones before it became an issue, and it sounds like he's not even banned from buying Apple stuff, just banned from some stores.

Am I overthinking this / being too paranoid here? I just really really do not want to get on some sort of flagged list for returning too much stuff.

I just want to be able to try out the 15 Pro and decide if I like it. That was my goal, which is why I am not happy that the iPhone I was sent was defective. Maybe I should have just done an exchange, but I wasn't in the mood.

You're over thinking. This might be shocking to some but Apple actually has no mechanism in place to associate retail transactions to one person/Apple ID even though they are placed generally through an Apple ID or a receipt is emailed to you but, but that's solely for the sale and that's it.

Stores will track suspect customers and flag them to management/loss prevention but that's about it.

You'll be fine.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011

No, but it was a lot. Again, long story as to why. But you're nowhere near it - plus yours have legit reasons for the returns in a couple of cases.

I never tried anything else. It was linked to my phone number, though. I could've ordered again using a family member's number. However I was ordering it must've required the number - so it might've been with a carrier association but paid in full. So for all I know it might've been the carrier link that said "nope".

You're not going to get a more solid answer than what we've all said here. You're going to be fine. You're not abusing the system. And if by some infinitesimally small chance there's an issue, you can go buy elsewhere and Apple's system will forget about you after a brief period of no purchases/returns and you can go back to normal. But again, that's the least likely scenario here.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Dude, your fine. Relax. Everyone is telling you that you are fine.

I am sure Apple changes their algorithms that flags suspicious activity frequently. I am also sure individual experience vary wildly, as these algorithms are not uniformly applied. Any actual “number” answer you get won’t really help you. So just relax. You are fine.

And as everyone has already pointed out, if anything does happen, you can just order from someone else, or order the device in your spouses, siblings, childs, etc. name until the hold on your name drops off.

Seriously you are fine.
Op should start therapy for all the assumptions and stress. It’s much simpler to walk in to a store and talk to Apple employee and get it done.

Reactions: canuckRus

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
The camera is fine. Stop creating problems for yourself.

Don't know what I can say about this :) it wasn't fine to me, these things are subjective

If this is an Apple Store that you are returning these to, I promise they don't care. Even a slow Apple Store sees dozens of returns every day, they don't remember you and they aren't tracking you. You need to buy and return quantities in the 100s of phones before they notice who you are and even if they do, they won't even try to stop you unless they can prove that you are somehow conducting fraudulent business. At worst they drill you about why because they want to solve the issue you are having rather then have you return this phone buy another and have the same issue. Source: I worked there.

Yeah I'm sure the Apple Store themselves don't care I just figure with enough returns Apple Corporate would care, otherwise someone could theoretically buy a MacBook Pro every 2 weeks and return it every 2 weeks to just keep using it for free basically.

You're over thinking. This might be shocking to some but Apple actually has no mechanism in place to associate retail transactions to one person/Apple ID even though they are placed generally through an Apple ID or a receipt is emailed to you but, but that's solely for the sale and that's it.

Stores will track suspect customers and flag them to management/loss prevention but that's about it.

You'll be fine.

That actually is shocking. I mean the sale is recorded with your Apple ID so they do have it.

Op should start therapy for all the assumptions and stress. It’s much simpler to walk in to a store and talk to Apple employee and get it done.

Lol I don't stress about most things in life, but with purchases I tend to! Just a remnant of growing up not having money for things, now I feel guilty spending it. Like I said in my OP I did talk to an employee but I doubt the store employees know about the corporate policies.

Anyways I do appreciate the replies (even the snarky ones).

I think most of the stress is just coming from the opaque process (i.e. no true idea of how many returns are "acceptable" and no idea of what happens if you hit that limit), and unless someone on the forums works for Apple corporate and can tell me (which they likely wouldn't be allowed to disclose anyways), I think nobody can really help more than they already have

Reactions: RuralJuror

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Don't know what I can say about this :) it wasn't fine to me, these things are subjective

Yeah I'm sure the Apple Store themselves don't care I just figure with enough returns Apple Corporate would care, otherwise someone could theoretically buy a MacBook Pro every 2 weeks and return it every 2 weeks to just keep using it for free basically.

That actually is shocking. I mean the sale is recorded with your Apple ID so they do have it.

Lol I don't stress about most things in life, but with purchases I tend to! Just a remnant of growing up not having money for things, now I feel guilty spending it. Like I said in my OP I did talk to an employee but I doubt the store employees know about the corporate policies.

Anyways I do appreciate the replies (even the snarky ones).

I think most of the stress is just coming from the opaque process (i.e. no true idea of how many returns are "acceptable" and no idea of what happens if you hit that limit), and unless someone on the forums works for Apple corporate and can tell me (which they likely wouldn't be allowed to disclose anyways), I think nobody can really help more than they already have
No company is gonna have a policy that will give an acceptable number of returns in a time frame. Life is too short to worry about hypotheticals and worst-case scenarios. Unless people are abusing the return policy with more than a few devices in a week or two, I don't see Apple going after folks who have genuine reasons to return. Unless, of course, you haven't disclosed something else going on here.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
surely there has to be a limit somewhere where they'd stop letting you buy and return phones
Considering there was a guy that returned fake iPhones, and many more than just 3, I would stop worrying and just go to a store.
Granted, he did that at multiple locations.
Anyway, just do it. If you’re completely up front about your worries maybe they get you a senior or something. You’re not trying to rip them off. What are they gonna do, ban you from buying their stuff? That doesn’t sound like Apple does it.

Last edited:

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
I returned 5 MacBook Pro's in a span of 2 weeks back in the old days when Apple their quality control was not as good as it was today. And I'm still allowed to buy stuff from Apple.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
not sure why OP is seeing so much push back. the man is more than obligated to take as much advantage of apple's return policy as he wants. what's the prob?

To be fair, Apple their quality control is very good these days. I used to be one of those people who would send back many machines if there was a fault until I got a perfect unit.

But nowdays, Apple devices have good quality control. I get an excellent units at the 1st try and don't have to send back units anymore like what I had to do in the past.

So if someone is sending back many machines in 2023, something is very weird.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012

Just relax…😊 nothing to worry about. If you say ‘overly aggressive pipeline’ what do you mean? All smartphones do this, and Apple has one of the more natural looking pipelines… maybe you need to switch to a dedicated camera?

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky

I don't know.
Just relax…😊 nothing to worry about. If you say ‘overly aggressive pipeline’ what do you mean? All smartphones do this, and Apple has one of the more natural looking pipelines… maybe you need to switch to a dedicated camera?
What I mean by over aggressive pipeline is the subject segmentation and sharpening. It's especially visible on any shot with foliage / trees, where the X, Xs and 11 have a more soft, natural looking photo, but the 13, 14 and 15 have a sharper more processed image. ProRAW deals with it, but takes a ton of space and you lose the Live Photo feature.

It's not a big deal to most, but it bothers me a lot for some reason, I'm mostly just peeved that Apple doesn't give us the option to turn off / tone down that sharpening and just let our photos be soft, they make us download third party apps to do that.

Switching to a dedicated camera would be a heavy-handed solution to something that's just a software problem. My plan would be to keep my iPhone X as long as I need to until Apple finally adds more "Photographic Styles" that have a softer style, but if I am eventually forced to upgrade (I think iPhone X goes "vintage" soon), I would try to get maybe an 11.

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
No, they're not. Literal TRILLIONS of photos are taken on iPhones every year. People are fine with them. You watched a YouTube video about modern iPhone cameras and decided you needed to have a problem with it. A problem the entire world outside of a very small internet bubble does not have.

Reactions: Bustermd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.