Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j3yq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Iowa
hey guys i just got a $500 apple gift card from my grandparents. question is i purchased my macbook from best buy like sunday, so im still within my 14 days policy question is will is still have to pay the 15% restocking for returning it? i plan on using my new giftcard to get a macbook pro!!

brandnb

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
Well first off I work at Best Buy, and I see this everday. Re stocking fee's are a pain in the A**. The sole reason why if i was you, i WOULD NOT bring it back was for the accidental service plan that we offer on laptops. It is the best thing you can do. Yes apple care is a must if you buy a laptop from apple but the one flaw they have is there is no accidental coverage. I tell all my customers if they had the urge to run over their laptop to relive some stress and turned out to be a "accident" then your absouetly coverd. Plus 15% of 1100 is roughly 155.00. Do you really want to loose that money for nothing? My vote is no.

j3yq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Iowa
damn not what i wanted to hear but its true i dont want to lose 155 bucks for only 4 days of use, thanks for the quick reply

angrygolfer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
PA
damn not what i wanted to hear but its true i dont want to lose 155 bucks for only 4 days of use, thanks for the quick reply

I do alot of shopping at Best Buy and I have NEVER had a good experience with their accidental coverage. If you have a $500 gift card, you're still gonna save $345 once you pay the restocking fee. I'd return it.

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Well first off I work at Best Buy, and I see this everday. Re stocking fee's are a pain in the A**. The sole reason why if i was you, i WOULD NOT bring it back was for the accidental service plan that we offer on laptops. It is the best thing you can do. Yes apple care is a must if you buy a laptop from apple but the one flaw they have is there is no accidental coverage. I tell all my customers if they had the urge to run over their laptop to relive some stress and turned out to be a "accident" then your absouetly coverd. Plus 15% of 1100 is roughly 155.00. Do you really want to loose that money for nothing? My vote is no.

Never EVER buy an extended warranty from best buy, ESPECIALLY ones that cover accidentals. It all looks good on paper, but good luck trying to get them to pay out. What you should do is contact your insurance carrier. If you have state farm (or even if you don't) you can open what's called a Personal Articles Policy. It's $40 a YEAR and much more reputable than any warranty through retail. Also, much cheaper.

andpeo23

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2008
What you should do is contact your insurance carrier. If you have state farm (or even if you don't) you can open what's called a Personal Articles Policy. It's $40 a YEAR and much more reputable than any warranty through retail. Also, much cheaper.

I work at an insurance company and this is a great idea. Your typical price will be about $2 per year per $100 of coverage - $1500 of coverage = $30 a year added to your home or renters insurance policy. The one catch is that it is only covered for things like fire, theft, windstorm, losing it, etc. Accidents (like dropping it) would not be covered. On the other side, typically these policies have NO deductible and if your laptop is 4 years old, you would still get the full $1500 in the event of a claim.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I purchased a plan with my renter's insurance at Nationwide insurance, and it does cover accidental destruction of the macbook. I think the only thing is that is has $150 deductable if broken at home, and $300 if broken on the road. It does not cover wear and tear, insects, or mechanical failure, but would cover things like theft, or being dropped by a limo driver.

The funny thing is when I called up Nationwide, the insurance agent never heard of it, she had to check with others in the office to find out that they offered it.....:confused:

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I do alot of shopping at Best Buy and I have NEVER had a good experience with their accidental coverage. If you have a $500 gift card, you're still gonna save $345 once you pay the restocking fee. I'd return it.

Ditto, return it and eat the 15% restocking fee since you have $500 gift card. AppleCare is better to have vs. anyone's extended warranty, Apple bends over backwards when you have it.

Picture yourself after a few months with your new up to date Macbook with the specs you wanted and you'll look back saying, "I'm glad I paid the restock fee cause now I have what I want and it didn't cost me anything more out of my pocket."

durant0s

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
San Francisco, CA
I work at an insurance company and this is a great idea. Your typical price will be about $2 per year per $100 of coverage - $1500 of coverage = $30 a year added to your home or renters insurance policy. The one catch is that it is only covered for things like fire, theft, windstorm, losing it, etc. Accidents (like dropping it) would not be covered. On the other side, typically these policies have NO deductible and if your laptop is 4 years old, you would still get the full $1500 in the event of a claim.

I know its insurance fraud but couldn't I just say I lost it if I really just droped it?

Anyways, I plan on gettings applecare and something thorugh my insurance, your can never be too safe.

brandnb

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
Never EVER buy an extended warranty from best buy, ESPECIALLY ones that cover accidentals. It all looks good on paper, but good luck trying to get them to pay out. What you should do is contact your insurance carrier. If you have state farm (or even if you don't) you can open what's called a Personal Articles Policy. It's $40 a YEAR and much more reputable than any warranty through retail. Also, much cheaper.

Maybe its just your store, at ours we take them in and give the exchange. Which store do you go to?

hockeysc23

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
I like how a ton of people went off on warranties when that wasn't what the TS asked.

He asked about a restocking fee. Yes you would have to pay a restocking fee. Think about it. No one else wants an open MB so it gets sent back to apple who then has to sell it as a refurb or open box. Your restocking fee covers that for them.

Best bet would be to try and sell it here but odds are good with the new ones out you won't get enough return. Ebay sounds good but after the cost of ebay fees etc. you won't benefit.

Sorry it seems your the product of bad timing. You need to eat that 145 bucks even if it was for 4 days to move up to the MBP.

j3yq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Iowa
yeah also best buy is going to make me wait foe them to a
Them to send me a check since ira over 250!!! I think I'm going to sell it on these forums for sour 900 sound right

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008

On my Personal Articles Policy through state farm, accidentals are covered.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England

Return it to Bestbuy and go to apple and get what you want. Home owners insurance is the same as the BB plan, it may sound good but tell you what you go and and get the MBP from BB and drive over it and than tell us ALL the horror stories and how BB said sorry DUDE your out of luck. Goto Apple

My 20cents

j3yq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Iowa
well i hink im going to sell it on here but i cant seem to place a thread in the marketplace yet? waht are the requirements? also i made this descion because bestbuy is going to charge me like $160 bucks to return it then i have to wait 10 days to recievec a ceck form them even tho i paid cash!! would $900 sound reasonable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.