Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unbdm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
I decided I want to hold out for an LTE version... should I just take my wifi version to the store unopened tomorrow, or put it on craigslist and sell for cost? If the store can sell it as new, that would be easier, but if they have to return it to apple and sell it reconditioned, I would rather help somebody out that didn't preorder and wants one...

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
You could just refuse to accept the package. Once they get it back, you will be reimbursed.

freejack

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Since you have it already why don't you hold on to it for two weeks and then return it. Will make waiting for the LTE model less painful.

unbdm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
I guess that is a good idea, I just felt like I should return it sellable... but two weeks will be nice...

Thanks for the thoughts

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I guess that is a good idea, I just felt like I should return it sellable... but two weeks will be nice...

Thanks for the thoughts

i'm not 100% sure, but either way I think they open them and they would probably go to the refurb store.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
i'm not 100% sure, but either way I think they open them and they would probably go to the refurb store.

Not true. If you return an item unopened it goes right back into that stores inventory as sellable merchandise.

That is why they used to charge a restock fee if opened, due to the overhead required to facilitate the refurb process, but if it was unopened you got a full refund.

They stopped the restock fee a few years back but it still works the same.

sealos

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
I'm doing the same exact thing. Purchased a WiFi version to play around with for a couple of weeks until my LTE version comes in. Not sure why they chose to stagger the release like that. Seems like a dumb idea.

Also, I returned a couple of iPad 3's to Apple that I had bought online thinking I would scalp them. They were in the shrink wrap and the salesperson at the Apple Store still opened them to make sure everything was in there.

g.c.

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
Also, I returned a couple of iPad 3's to Apple that I had bought online thinking I would scalp them. They were in the shrink wrap and the salesperson at the Apple Store still opened them to make sure everything was in there.

I was working at the Apple Store at the time. We only started doing that after we were told other stores had returned shrink wrapped iPad boxes without iPads inside but something of comparable weight. So yea, they'll open them to make sure there's something in there.

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
I decided I want to hold out for an LTE version... should I just take my wifi version to the store unopened tomorrow, or put it on craigslist and sell for cost? If the store can sell it as new, that would be easier, but if they have to return it to apple and sell it reconditioned, I would rather help somebody out that didn't preorder and wants one...

If you go to your order status on Apple.com there is a "return item" link with a process to follow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.