Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
I have a 256 XS Max that is supposed to be delivered by UPS on Monday that I ordered from Apple.com. It's going to be held at a UPS CC for pickup.

I'm traveling Monday-Thursday next week so if it's not available to pick up Monday morning at 8:30am I won't be able to get it and get to the airport in time, so it'd sit there until Friday.

OR,

I checked and could go get one at an Apple store today.

If I do that, when I finally pickup the phone from UPS, can I take that to an Apple store and return for a refund? Or do I have to ship it back and wait for the refund?

Sparkymoto

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
Absolutely you can just return it to the store. I’ve done both, and it’s way quicker to get your money back if you take it to the store

Reactions: ipoddin

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I have a 256 XS Max that is supposed to be delivered by UPS on Monday that I ordered from Apple.com. It's going to be held at a UPS CC for pickup.

I'm traveling Monday-Thursday next week so if it's not available to pick up Monday morning at 8:30am I won't be able to get it and get to the airport in time, so it'd sit there until Friday.

OR,

If I do that, when I finally pickup the phone from UPS, can I take that to an Apple store and return for a refund? Or do I have to ship it back and wait for the refund?
You definitely can return online orders to the Apple store, you'll get refund faster. If you were to send it back via Fedex (All online returns are Fedex from what I have used, never got UPS), then it can take 2-3 days if you were to mail it back to Apple Warehouse depending on where it gets sent to.

Reactions: Sparkymoto

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011

OR,

Go get it today! You have 14 days to return the other one, whether it’s opened or not. You can take it to any Apple Store.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
I just refused delivery from UPS. It’ll make its way back to Apple and they’ll refund my money.

That way I don’t have to make a special trip to the Apple Store.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Ordered for in store pickup today!

Will take unopened ups delivery to the store for refund. Now I don't have to stress over whether it'll get here in time before I leave for the airport and can take new phone with me!

Reactions: Sparkymoto

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I just refused delivery from UPS. It’ll make its way back to Apple and they’ll refund my money.

That way I don’t have to make a special trip to the Apple Store.
You prob pissed off that UPS guy trying his hardest to get to you, and you just say nah, I don’t want it. Lmao!

technoholic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
not to hijack the post but can I ask the same question but the other way round? If I buy something at a store can I be returned by post? I’m in the uk do not sure if that makes a difference

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
not to hijack the post but can I ask the same question but the other way round? If I buy something at a store can I be returned by post? I’m in the uk do not sure if that makes a difference
No unfortunately. For Apple store purchases must be returned directly to the Apple Store. Online orders can be mailed back or can be taken to the Apple Store.

19callum93

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Slightly different question, but I have the Space Grey Max which I pre ordered. I’ve opened it, and I massively regret not getting the gold. As I am not satisfied, can I return for a refund, or exchange (I am on the upgrade programme).

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Slightly different question, but I have the Space Grey Max which I pre ordered. I’ve opened it, and I massively regret not getting the gold. As I am not satisfied, can I return for a refund, or exchange (I am on the upgrade programme).
Similar situation, however mine has to do with LTE signal issues (my iPhone X is fine). Phone was delivered via Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program, I'm going to return the Max to a store tomorrow.

I already have the SIM card from the new iPhone working in my old X (also on Upgrade Program) and I'm hoping to just return the Max and have the appropriate refunds issued, while continuing to pay on the old X. I have a feeling I'll end up eating the VZW activation fee but that's the least of my concerns right now.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Since you are on the upgrade program, they will have to process it as a refund close out that loan and start on a new loan for the new device you are wanting.

Reactions: 19callum93

19callum93

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Since you are on the upgrade program, they will have to process it as a refund close out that loan and start on a new loan for the new device you are wanting.
Thanks for your reply. Is that possible then? I’ve never returned anything to apple. This would be the first time returning an iPhone and I’m really mad with myself haha.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Thanks for your reply. Is that possible then? I’ve never returned anything to apple. This would be the first time returning an iPhone and I’m really mad with myself haha.
Yes it's possible, as long as you are within 14 days and wanting to change to a different color, they won't give you a hard time.

Reactions: 19callum93

19callum93

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Yes it's possible, as long as you are within 14 days and wanting to change to a different color, they won't give you a hard time.
Returned it today. I couldn’t believe how simple, straight forward and easy the process was. I was expecting to be questioned, I wasn’t. Apple was more than happy to help. Now I’ve just got to wait until the Max Gold is back in stock ahhh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.