Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starnox

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
I have a 20" iMac G5 Rev A. I half brought it with my dad, but it recently moved into my dads office. Now I can hardly use it. So I am thinking of getting a new iMac I can't really afford the 20" Intel iMac so it would have to be the 17". My question is what performance boost will be like. I do use programs like InDesign CS2 and Illustrator CS2 - is this going to be a problem for rosetta?

My specs:

1.8GHz G5
512 KB L2 Cache
600Mhz Bus Speed
2GB DDR SDRAM
GeForce FX 5200 64MB
160 GB HDD

Have they changed the screen at all from the Rev A's? Also I might want to hook up a 23" ACD later when/if i can afford one. How will the X1600 cope?

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
those questions are all answered on apple's site.
supposed 2x performance increase.
no one knows how well adobe apps will work w/ rosetta yet, but they will work. i think the core duo processor will give you performance near what you currently have and then once adobe goes universal binary you will see improvements.
not sure if the screen has changed.
you will be able to run a 23" ACD along w/ the iMac.

starnox

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
mzd said:
those questions are all answered on apple's site.
supposed 2x performance increase.
no one knows how well adobe apps will work w/ rosetta yet, but they will work. i think the core duo processor will give you performance near what you currently have and then once adobe goes universal binary you will see improvements.
not sure if the screen has changed.
you will be able to run a 23" ACD along w/ the iMac.

performance increases on their website are to do with the latest 2.1Ghz iMac G5 and the Rev C had a huge internal makeover. That's why I am asking.

Thanks for the response to the other questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.