Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xerenthar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2008
today, my temps just spiked. typically with just safari/word/excel, it'd be in the 50s. today, it hasn't gone below 70 with just those apps - and has been up to 90. the bottom is extremely hot, the top is hot to the touch in the top left corner and in between keys on the left side of the keyboard.

what the hell happened? i can't take it to applecare yet, i use it in class every day..

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor.

Do you see any application there that uses the CPU more than it should? Don't forget to select "Show All Processes".

xerenthar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 27, 2008
Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor.

Do you see any application there that uses the CPU more than it should? Don't forget to select "Show All Processes".

why is Quick Look Helper using 148.5% of my CPU?

igetit

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2005
Snoqualmie, WA
why is Quick Look Helper using 148.5% of my CPU?

I will just "Force Quit" it. Every once in a while I get Excel or Word to do the same thing, like using more than 150% of CPU resources. Generally in my system it happens when I quite the application and it seems like it did quit (not showing up on the screen anymore) but it is actually hanging somewhere in "limbo" still taking resources.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.