Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macboy4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
I originally bought a Rev A MacBook Air, but when I had overheating problems Apple replaced it with a Rev B, but they did not give me new install disks.

This morning I attempted to reinstall Leopard on the Rev B from the Rev A install disks and it would not work. When I double clicked "Install Leopard" it told me to restart. It attempted to restart; the gray screen popped up, but instead of giving me install options the display would alternate back and forth between being off and the gray screen every few seconds. The fans were running crazy and this lasted roughly 50 minutes before I turned it off.

I tried installing several other apps, including optional installs from the same disk, and everything else worked fine on my superdrive so I don't think there's a hardware issue, or even a "defect" in the disk.

My theory is that I need a Rev B install disk and the Rev A will not work.

Can anyone corroborate this theory?

macboy4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
I don't know if the lack of an answer to this question means a lack of knowledge or care :)

Either way, Apple confirmed for me that you do need to have current install disks. Rev B MBAs cannot use install disks from Rev A MBAs. You would have thought that Apple would have given me the new ones when they replaced the computer, but oh well, now they're just shipping them to me.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I had a similar issue. Pretty sure it's the Nvidia Rev. B vs. Intel Rev. A chipset that causes the incompatibility. A retail '08 Leopard disk works just fine. Actually, I think if I were you I would have asked them for a iLife/Leopard box set instead of the MBA Rev. B only install disks.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The rev A install disks will not have all of the driver files needed for the rev B... there were differences like Nvidia GPU, SATA-II Drive Controller, faster RAM, and etc etc... actually every major component changed, and I am sure some things like GPU DEFINITELY make a difference... I don't know how much the other things change, but for the video graphics alone you would need a different install disk. Those disks are specific for the system and version you have... very different from retail install disk which have all system drivers available and then install based upon the system detected during install.

I am sure if you call Apple and explain the situation and give them your serial number, they will send you a new disk.

Good luck with that.

macboy4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
I had a similar issue. Pretty sure it's the Nvidia Rev. B vs. Intel Rev. A chipset that causes the incompatibility. A retail '08 Leopard disk works just fine. Actually, I think if I were you I would have asked them for a iLife/Leopard box set instead of the MBA Rev. B only install disks.

I actually have an iLife up-to-date bundle disk so I don't need the box set.

macboy4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
I am sure if you call Apple and explain the situation and give them your serial number, they will send you a new disk.

Good luck with that.

I already called them and they sent the disks last Friday, but they should've arrived Monday or Tuesday; I'll have to follow up today. I sold this machine so I'll be mailing the disks to the new owner anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.