Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobilevisual

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Hope someone can help before i pull the trigger.

I have the RevB 1.6 SSD MBA and my wife have the new Rev.C SSD. My rev.B refused to turn on. I contacted Apple and the tech suggested Motherboard issue. I have a conference in <36 hours and need to access my files. Here is the question:

Can I remove the SSD from my Rev.B and put it in with my wife's Rev.C?

According to the threads I read on this forum, SSD used onRevB and C are similar, if not identical. Will swapping SSD from B to C save my files? Seems like plug and play swap to me, but I could be wrong. Please comment before I jump off a bridge...

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
The first thing I would do it run to best buy or radio shack and get an external enclosure that fits your SSD. Sure you'll pay an arm and a leg, but that way you'll only have to open up one MBA.

then I'd just put your SSD into the enclosure and see what happens. Pull the files off it, borrow your wife's air, and when you get back put it all back together and send it off to Apple to repair.

this way, you don't risk damaging a second MBA, and if you can't get your files off of the external SSD, it's likely the SSD and you better start re-creating the files you need.

mobilevisual

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
... get an external enclosure...

Great idea...sadly my files are larger than the available space my wife has on her SSD...My only option is SSDs swap. Can it be done with out damaging the rev.C or screwing up its OS?

I can deal with the broken B afterward.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Great idea...sadly my files are larger than the available space my wife has on her SSD...My only option is SSDs swap. Can it be done with out damaging the rev.C or screwing up its OS?

I can deal with the broken B afterward.

Why not?!

You could have done it within the 28 minutes you wasted to know the obvious answer! :p

mobilevisual

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Why not?!

because I don't want to spend 15 mins to swap the drives and 15 hours to figure out why it's not compatable. Ask before act.

Does anyone have any solid word on this ???

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
because I don't want to spend 15 mins to swap the drives and 15 hours to figure out why it's not compatable. Ask before act.

Does anyone have any solid word on this ???

It will work.

By "why not?" I meant what makes you think it wouldn't work!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
It will work.

The external drive enclosures found at Best Buy and etc will NOT work with the SSD from the rev B MBA. It has an LIF connector, NOT SATA. It will NOT work.

The SSD from the rev B will plug right into the rev C his wife has. That is the no brainer simple way to have the files instantly accessible for his work...

Cheers.

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
It will work.

Why are people supposed to be god of all knowledge to begin with?

I thought LIF is a connector form but the connection is still SATA isn't it? As it can be seen as 'SATA drive' in the system profiler.

Good luck with the swap, (though you might've already performed). Drive swap isn't too hard.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008

I thought LIF is a connector form but the connection is still SATA isn't it? As it can be seen as 'SATA drive' in the system profiler.

Good luck with the swap, (though you might've already performed). Drive swap isn't too hard.

Does it take a 5th grader to know 1+1=2?

There is no difference between revB and revC in terms of the SSD and its connections so it is even easier than a 1+1 process!

mobilevisual

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009

I did not have the chance to swap the drives, as I didn't get a solid answer until just recently. I'll just sent it back to Apple for repair. Thank you...

mobilevisual

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Does it take a 5th grader to know 1+1=2?

There is no difference between revB and revC in terms of the SSD and its connections so it is even easier than a 1+1 process!

It doesn't take a 5th grader to know 1+1=2.

But it is fairly difficult for a 65 yrs old to do an SSD swap on $4k worth of metals, with a chance of no return.

It is not SSD compatibility that I questioned. It's the software/OS that I was concerned with. Rev C has a higher clock speed and supposedly a 6x GPU.
Threfore, your analogy of 1+1 = 2 is invalid! Simply because the 2 units AREN"T identical.

Your half-smart-ass "helped" is received, but not appreciated. Many of us came to the forum to find and share information. If we all have the same knowledge of these wonderful machines, forums like this would not exist. If you think my question is juvenile, simply DON"T answer. "WHY NOT?!" isn't exactly the answer to help push me to open up $4k worth of equipment.

By the way. half-ass intels was what got us in Iraq, and the main reason why my son is still in the dessert in the middle of nowhere, half way around the world, dodging bullets!!. So there's no need to belittle an old man seeking for knowledge.

I thanks all for taking your time to help answer my question.

This thread ends here!

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
It doesn't take a 5th grader to know 1+1=2.

But it is fairly difficult for a 65 yrs old to do an SSD swap on $4k worth of metals, with a chance of no return.

It is not SSD compatibility that I questioned. It's the software/OS that I was concerned with. Rev C has a higher clock speed and supposedly a 6x GPU.
Threfore, your analogy of 1+1 = 2 is invalid! Simply because the 2 units AREN"T identical.

Your half-smart-ass "helped" is received, but not appreciated. Many of us came to the forum to find and share information. If we all have the same knowledge of these wonderful machines, forums like this would not exist. If you think my question is juvenile, simply DON"T answer. "WHY NOT?!" isn't exactly the answer to help push me to open up $4k worth of equipment.

By the way. half-ass intels was what got us in Iraq, and the main reason why my son is still in the dessert in the middle of nowhere, half way around the world, dodging bullets!!. So there's no need to belittle an old man seeking for knowledge.

I thanks all for taking your time to help answer my question.

This thread ends here!

WOW .. I am sorry for your son, but you are amazing!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.