Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2012
It appears that Apple have taken an asinine step of requiring that downloads that have expired need to be redownloaded in full to be revalidated. This is a world away from how the likes of Netflix and Amazon Prime do it in that they are able to revalidate the download for offline viewing with a quick token reauthorisation.

Imagine getting on a plane for a few hours and seeing that a bunch of videos that you wanted to watch have expired. No chance of re-download on airline WiFi. It’s a bit ridiculous.

For the special ones, yes, I know that I should have checked in advance, but that doesn’t take away from this major UX failure on Apple’s part and is a huge departure from their “simple and intuitive message”.

Do we know why they do this and if this may change at some point in the future?

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
It appears that Apple have taken an asinine step of requiring that downloads that have expired need to be redownloaded in full to be revalidated. This is a world away from how the likes of Netflix and Amazon Prime do it in that they are able to revalidate the download for offline viewing with a quick token reauthorisation.

Imagine getting on a plane for a few hours and seeing that a bunch of videos that you wanted to watch have expired. No chance of re-download on airline WiFi. It’s a bit ridiculous.

For the special ones, yes, I know that I should have checked in advance, but that doesn’t take away from this major UX failure on Apple’s part and is a huge departure from their “simple and intuitive message”.

Do we know why they do this and if this may change at some point in the future?
It will NOT change. Bank on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.