Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
It’s a little disappointing that MacRumors didn’t cover any of the patent release details regarding iPhone last week.
I even sent the details about this story to MacRumors via the tips page. :)

This is a story that is for page 1 on MacRumors.

All signs are pointing to an all-new iPhone made from ceramic glass.

Last week, Patently Apple published an article that noted new patents for the new Apple Watch Edition made of ceramic as well as an iPhone made of ceramic.

Apple and Corning have a long established relationship. The white color iPhone 4/4s and 5/5s/SE models use ceramic glass in parts of their design.

According to Apple's marketing, ceramic is "Sleek, light, and extremely durable, ceramic is more than four times as hard as stainless steel — with a pearly, lustrous finish that won’t scratch or tarnish."

Now, what colors do we order in ceramic people? Apart from black, white, what colors of the rainbow should Apple order for an all-new iPhone made of ceramic?

Revealing Apple Patent Covers Ceramic Apple Watch and All-New Ceramic iPhone
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...c-apple-watch-and-all-new-ceramic-iphone.html

6a0120a5580826970c01bb093469de970d-800wi

Apple Patent Covers Ceramic Ceramic iPhone Housing

Corningware_ClrLnFmlySht_Feb2014_Crop.jpeg

Corning Colored Ceramic

Apple-Watch-Ceramic.png

Apple Watch Edition White Ceramic

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Although Ceramic is a great material, lightweight and very durable, it's also very expensive to make. The Ceramic Apple Watch retails for $1200.00 alone, I think if an iPhone was made out of ceramic, it would cost significantly more than a Plus model iPhone. Of course there would be a certain demographic who can afford it, but as a general target audience, it wouldn't be reasonable in my opinion.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
It’s a little disappointing that MacRumors didn’t cover any of the patent release details regarding iPhone last week.
I even sent the details about this story to MacRumors via the tips page. :)

This is a story that is for page 1 on MacRumors.

All signs are pointing to an all-new iPhone made from ceramic glass.

Last week, Patently Apple published an article that noted new patents for the new Apple Watch Edition made of ceramic as well as an iPhone made of ceramic.

Apple and Corning have a long established relationship. The white color iPhone 4/4s and 5/5s/SE models use ceramic glass in parts of their design.

According to Apple's marketing, ceramic is "Sleek, light, and extremely durable, ceramic is more than four times as hard as stainless steel — with a pearly, lustrous finish that won’t scratch or tarnish."

Now, what colors do we order in ceramic people? Apart from black, white, what colors of the rainbow should Apple order for an all-new iPhone made of ceramic?

Revealing Apple Patent Covers Ceramic Apple Watch and All-New Ceramic iPhone
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...c-apple-watch-and-all-new-ceramic-iphone.html

6a0120a5580826970c01bb093469de970d-800wi

Apple Patent Covers Ceramic Ceramic iPhone Housing

Corningware_ClrLnFmlySht_Feb2014_Crop.jpeg

Corning Colored Ceramic

Apple-Watch-Ceramic.png

Apple Watch Edition White Ceramic

Funny, just the other day I was predicting that the 2017 may not have a dramatic redesign but it may feature a ceramic casing and that apple released the ceramic Apple watch this year as a field test for durability :)

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Funny, just the other day I was predicting that the 2017 may not have a dramatic redesign but it may feature a ceramic casing and that apple released the ceramic Apple watch this year as a field test for durability :)

You can't "predict" something like that when all obvious signs point to it. It's just a obvious assumption.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
It will be a more expensive iPhone possibility.
I really don't think so, the white color iPhone 4/4s and 5/5s/SE models use ceramic glass in parts of their design.
[doublepost=1474169669][/doublepost]
The next iPhone will need to have a dramatic redesign. There won't be many Apple fans tolerating a fourth series of the iPhone 6 design (iPhone 6 - series 1, iPhone 6s - series 2, iPhone 7 - series 3). If you listen closely to the iPhone 7 design video, it concludes with Jony Ive saying something really interesting: "When complete, iPhone 7 is the most singular, the most evolved representation of this design." I truely believe this hints that it is the end of the road for the current iPhone design.
[doublepost=1474169801][/doublepost]
Well it's iPhone and OS release this week. I don't think they have the time to either
Maybe there was no time, but this is quite a significant patent filing in recent times.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
Although Ceramic is a great material, lightweight and very durable, it's also very expensive to make. The Ceramic Apple Watch retails for $1200.00 alone, I think if an iPhone was made out of ceramic, it would cost significantly more than a Plus model iPhone. Of course there would be a certain demographic who can afford it, but as a general target audience, it wouldn't be reasonable in my opinion.
Not really, Relentless Power. The white color iPhone 4/4s and 5/5s/SE models all use ceramic glass in parts of their design. The Apple Watch Edition is unreasonably inflated in price. I would suspect in the current line of products, the current Apple Watch Edition has the largest profit margin. Ceramic ain't costly. The claims on the Apple website about the Apple Watch taking days to manufacture are somewhat misleading if out of context. iPhone and iPad also take days from start to finish to manufacture.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Not really, Relentless Power. The white color iPhone 4/4s and 5/5s/SE models all use ceramic glass in parts of their design. The Apple Watch Edition is unreasonably inflated in price. I would suspect in the current line of products, the current Apple Watch Edition has the largest profit margin. Ceramic ain't costly. The claims on the Apple website about the Apple Watch taking days to manufacture are somewhat misleading if out of context. iPhone and iPad also take days from start to finish to manufacture.

That's a nice thought regarding using the ceramic. But it's not going to happen. If Apple does make a ceramic iPhone out of the casing, I will be the first to admit When I am wrong.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
;)
That's a nice thought regarding using the ceramic. But it's not going to happen. If Apple does make a ceramic iPhone out of the casing, I will be the first to admit When I am wrong.
Here's to you being wrong about ceramic glass and here's to you owning the best ever iPhone in ceramic glass. I look forward to that day with great anticipation ;-)

Reactions: Avieshek

Setarip

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
Ceramic would be neat. I have two negatives to point out:

1. The phone can literally shatter when dropped.

2. Heat. Ceramic is an insulator. The current aluminum unibodies can act as a heat sink and dissipate heat from the CPU. I think cooling may be an issue with ceramic.

Ivanovitchk

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
Paris, FR

your bathroom sink is a ceramic, your coffee mugs too.

massively produced ceramics aren't expensive. This includes the Awatch. Apple just making us think it is.

Reactions: smacrumon

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
your bathroom sink is a ceramic, your coffee mugs too.

massively produced ceramics aren't expensive. This includes the Awatch. Apple just making us think it is.

I understand that. We don't know how Apple will manufacture the ceramic to make it stronger than a coffee cup, which is prone to shattering. They could use a process which would be more costly already paired with Apple's markup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.