Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
I apologize for this question because I’m 99% sure I already know the answer, but......does anyone know of a way to revert back to iOS 12 on a device that has had iOS 13 installed on it? I understand why it is difficult to impossible since Apple no longer signs iOS 12 on devices capable of running iOS 13. However, I was wondering if there was ANY way possible to go back to iOS 12. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Unfortunately it is not possible. Actually, scratch that. It’s technically possible (anything is) but no one has been able to figure out how to do it over the years excluding the downgrade to iOS 6 via jailbreak.

Short answer, not at this time.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Thai is exactly why I don’t update my phones. I’m on iOS 12 on my 8 plus with no issues. I try and tell people Thai every year but nobody listens. Always wanting the latest and greatest.

Reactions: theapplehead

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
Thai is exactly why I don’t update my phones. I’m on iOS 12 on my 8 plus with no issues. I try and tell people Thai every year but nobody listens. Always wanting the latest and greatest.
That’s honestly a good philosophy. I updated my Mac to Catalina and started noticing that it was freezing up a lot more when using more intensive programs such as LPX. I ended up reverting back to Mojave thinking my backups would work. Turns out they didn’t and I had to start fresh and pull some individual files I had backed up on a thumb drive. Moral of the story updates aren’t always best.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
That’s honestly a good philosophy. I updated my Mac to Catalina and started noticing that it was freezing up a lot more when using more intensive programs such as LPX. I ended up reverting back to Mojave thinking my backups would work. Turns out they didn’t and I had to start fresh and pull some individual files I had backed up on a thumb drive. Moral of the story updates aren’t always best.

Its unfortunate though that will only last so long, as developers will eventually require the latest iOS update. But at least you and I get the pleasure of keeping numbers high on iOS 12. Developers don't care for us folks either.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
If it is possible to do, jailbreaking your phone would be the only way. You may want to ask on the jailbreak sub-forum if it's possible and how to do it.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
I apologize for this question because I’m 99% sure I already know the answer, but......does anyone know of a way to revert back to iOS 12 on a device that has had iOS 13 installed on it? I understand why it is difficult to impossible since Apple no longer signs iOS 12 on devices capable of running iOS 13. However, I was wondering if there was ANY way possible to go back to iOS 12. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The easiest and perhaps only way is to buy another iDevice w/ v11 or 12 and sell yours. Many used and re-furbished still have v11 or 12. If you shop prudently you can sell yours for the same as what you will pay for another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.