Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 9, 2002
I got the Tiger SDK at WWDC and installed it that day on my PowerBook and have been using it ever since. For a variety of reasons I have decided I need to reinstall Panther to suit my needs though. So here is the problem:

If I try to reinstall from the Panther CD it says "Cannot install OS X. A newer version is already installed" or something to that effect. Disk Utility doesnt seem to want to let me reformat the drive. How can I revert to Panther?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 9, 2002
I seem to have figured it out now... Let's hope I'm right, how frustrating.

EDIT: wonderful... Now i can't install because there is no older version of OSX installed. I'm thinking maybe restore discs... but I can't find the restore discs. Even if I did find them and they did work, my restore discs would be Jaguar

ibook_g4_user

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2004
Chaszmyr said:
I seem to have figured it out now... Let's hope I'm right, how frustrating.

EDIT: wonderful... Now i can't install because there is no older version of OSX installed. I'm thinking maybe restore discs... but I can't find the restore discs. Even if I did find them and they did work, my restore discs would be Jaguar

Why not install tiger on your iPod instead of your harddrive, then you could go back to panther whenever u wanted.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 9, 2002
ibook_g4_user said:
Why not install tiger on your iPod instead of your harddrive, then you could go back to panther whenever u wanted.

If that's possible, I wasn't aware.

On the bright side. I did find my jaguar recovery dics. This will be a pain to install all of this stuff again, but atleast my computer has an OS now lol

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
i <sort of> know how you feel - when i got my emac (refurb) it came with software restore discs for 10.2, and upgrade discs for 10.3.
upon putting the 10.3 discs in, i decided i wanted a small partition as a 'scratch disk' of sorts to fiddle with the OS, and possibly run 10.2 on.

Unfortunately, once the installer loaded up, and I went to the disc utility and partitioned my drive, I could no longer upgrade to 10.3, because I didn't have a previous version installed. so I had to completely re-install 10.2 on the machine before I could put 10.3 on. a little frustrating.

and you'd think i'd have learned my lesson. when I went to upgrade my (smaller) partition from 10.2 to 10.3, I wanted to make sure i started from scratch, so I went to the disk utility and erased the partition.

oops. had to re-install 10.2 on it to install 10.3

Seems like they'd make the installer disc so that if you put the CD in, and a drive was compatible with the update, it would still be compatible after you did your stuff with the included disc utility...

</rant>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.