Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I scrolled all the way to the bottom to look for a disclaimer and sure enough. ;)

To be honest in these pictures it looks way too cheaply made to be selling for $1200 - $1400

Last edited:

raghu8912

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
San Jose
It's always striking though - just how these displays are much thicker than the iMac, but has a lower resolution, worse webcam, no speakers AFAIK, and obviously comes with no computer inside.

Apple really accomplished a feat of engineering with the iMac.
these companies are competing in price, can't sell like Apple can.
so they have to make compromises.

Baritone_Guy

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2021
Obviously not in play for most Apple users, but there's a USB-B to USB-A cable in the box that lets you connect via USB-A on a computer. If you're solely connected over USB-C, data speeds are limited to 2.0 speeds because video is going over the same cable. But if you connect video separately, you should be able to use the USB-B port to get faster 3.0 speeds. But again, most Apple users aren't going use that configuration.
Why doesn’t everything INCLUDING Ethernet happen over the USB C/Thunderbolt port? My Dell laptop connects with one USB C cable. It charges, provides Ethernet, USB 3 and drives a second monitor with it’s built in USB ports.

I figured anything in this space should do similar.

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Why doesn’t everything INCLUDING Ethernet happen over the USB C/Thunderbolt port? My Dell laptop connects with one USB C cable. It charges, provides Ethernet, USB 3 and drives a second monitor with it’s built in USB ports.

I figured anything in this space should do similar.
It doesn’t support Thunderbolt, so it’s limited to USB 2.0 speeds as 4K60 takes all the high speed connection lanes in USB-C.

This is a great article explaining why: https://www.bigmessowires.com/2019/05/19/explaining-4k-60hz-video-through-usb-c-hub/

Reactions: bice

rb2112

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2021
I only came here to ask, why is there a USB-B port on this monitor? 😂 Genuine question.
USB-B is "upstream", the cable from mac to monitor. This is how my mini is hooked up to my 4K 32 inch. Keep your keyboard and mouse hooked up to monitor, they are the "downstream" ports.
per manufacturer: "Its rear USB hub connects your computer to its webcam, touchscreen, two USB-A accessories, 65W laptop charging and your 3.5mm speakers or headphone – all with the same USB-C cable you’re using for video."

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Those rear ports are terrible, They point straight back (which will cause cable strain and make it harder to have the monitor against a wall) but are recessed (which means even right angle adapters designed to help with this kinda thing are gonna be tough). guaranteed to cause cable strain and either the cable, or worse, the port, will fail.

DestructoTim

Suspended
Aug 30, 2021
I mean nifty, sure, but for $999, you can get a 48" LG OLED with HDR and 120MHz refresh rate.
Almost no one is using a 48 inch monitor, so while that might be good for whatever niche you have going on, its not very useful information. Most people have a monitor at a desk inches from their face. A 48 inch screen is gonna need some serious neck gymnastics.

DestructoTim

Suspended
Aug 30, 2021

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
IMG_0286.jpeg

What on earth…how is this so dusty/dirty? Looks like it just came from a construction job.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
It really is not low. Based on how far it is from my eyes when I’m working at my desk, 4k 32 is perfectly fine. Can be sharper, of course. Based on this, 4k 32” is indeed retina at 25 inches away (~62 cm)
Yup. I have been using two 32" Viewsonics driven by MBPs for years now, and I constantly work with images. 4K @ 32" is a totally useful resolution for real work. The 5K and higher resolutions IMO mostly have value for content consumption.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
Yup. I have been using two 32" Viewsonics driven by MBPs for years now, and I constantly work with images. 4K @ 32" is a totally useful resolution for real work. The 5K and higher resolutions IMO mostly have value for content consumption.
I'm curious, do you use them at 4K or scaled to a different resolution?

Reactions: Jensend

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Looks like a good display. Good to have one with touchscreen capability.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I do pro design work, so take my comments below with a grain of salt if all you do is use office apps and surf the web with your Mac.

The specs on this monitor are garbage.
  • The brightness is mediocre at best – I would seat that spec squarely in the middle of the "Cons" list.
  • They don't even mention the PPI, but at full 4k it's going to be 106ppi – about as bad as you can get.
  • 65w charging on a monitor that size is ridiculous, as is one USB-C port when even most Windows computers are shipping with multiple USB-C ports. There's obviously enough room on this beast for 96w charging.
  • A USB-B port? I guess if you want to plug in your HP printer and have it sit on your desk next to the monitor that's useful.
  • The motor on the webcam is virtually guaranteed to fail – probably 2 months after the warranty expires. (this is my opinion based on experience with these gimmick features on other hardware).
  • The base of the stand seems awfully large (though not nearly as obnoxious as LG display stands that take up half your desk).
  • The speakers are a joke (though to be fair, outside of Apple's displays, they all are). I don't know why these display makers even bother with them.
  • Judging by the photos of the display in the writer's home, the anti-reflective coating (if there actually is one) is pretty bad.
  • And finally, the price. The website (as of the time I wrote this post) is showing $1,400 for the top-of-the-line model (which is the only one that truly competes with the Apple Studio Display). Might as well get the Studio Display with a VESA mount and buy your own monitor arm.
  • You need special drivers for the Mac to use the touch functionality. How much you wanna bet they maintain those drivers, keeping them up-to-date after every macOS update? I wouldn't bet the cost of a cup of convenience store coffee on it.
    • I would be willing to bet the webcam stops working after the first major macOS upgrade as well.
As with most other Studio Display competitors, the ONLY two advantages I see here is that the stand isn't an obnoxiously overpriced add-on and actually allows you to fully adjust it to your liking (but a $50 VESA monitor arm fixes that problem with the Studio Display). The second advantage is that the power cord is not permanently attached to the back of the display.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Once you are used to 5K 27" it is really hard to go back to 4K on 27" or larger. I kept trying to convince myself it didn't make that much of a difference, but finally gave up and splurged. Happy though for those who can make it work.

Reactions: nt5672

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Their products are ugly, IMO.
Ahhh, an Ive lover comes out of the cracks. Me, I don't sit at my desk each day spending hours admiring how good my monitors look.

I wonder if that would improve my productivity.

Maybe my spouse would love me more if I had beautiful monitors.

Maybe my friends would be impressed if they saw my beautiful monitors.

I guess I just don't have my priorities right for the modern world.

Reactions: rb2112
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.