Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pweicks

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2016
USA
I'm glad someone else has noticed this too! I don't know what's going on in the UK but a lot of drivers over here have become atrocious. If they're not driving up my hole, they are straddling the centre line when coming from the opposite direction forcing me across to the left to avoid losing a wing mirror.
I've also noticed the latest habit which is to pull slightly right when taking a left turn as though they are driving an articulated truck!
It seems a lot of people over the last several years have zero road awareness!
Couldn’t agree more. I use to love driving. It use to be a stress reducer and now it’s turned into the exact opposite. It’s a stress inducer. I can’t stand driving anywhere that takes longer than 30 minutes now. It just gives me anxiety. I think it’s a combination of two things. One is that people have become so reliant on their cars to drive for them with the whole self driving craze and the other is just simply an absurd lack of self awareness. And I think the main cause is... cell phones. People are always on their phones and they just have no idea how rude and inconsiderate they are towards other drivers when they can barely stay in a straight line while they’re talking on the phone. That and also people are ALWAYS in a hurry these days it seems. Everyone’s always in a rush to get from A to B. Nobody ever stops to smell the roses anymore. We’re all just in a hurry to make ourselves look good or to please everyone else. But yeah, the human race’s capacity to operate a motor vehicle has SEVERELY dwindled in the past several years if ya ask me.

Reactions: Chrjy

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Touch screens are nice when you have nice smooth roads. But try and reach for that software button when on a bumpy road. I don’t like it in cars.
Saying that, voice control is pretty good as an alternative so not all bad.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I'm glad someone else has noticed this too! I don't know what's going on in the UK but a lot of drivers over here have become atrocious. If they're not driving up my hole, they are straddling the centre line when coming from the opposite direction forcing me across to the left to avoid losing a wing mirror.
I've also noticed the latest habit which is to pull slightly right when taking a left turn as though they are driving an articulated truck!
It seems a lot of people over the last several years have zero road awareness!
My theory is that a) kids aren’t riding bikes to school anymore, and b) they have also spent their car lives staring at screens instead of out the window. They don’t get the years of spacial awareness training that brings.

Reactions: Chrjy

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
My theory is that a) kids aren’t riding bikes to school anymore, and b) they have also spent their car lives staring at screens instead of out the window. They don’t get the years of spacial awareness training that brings.

I think you're right. What they don't seem to realise is if you are traveling at just 40mph and they are travelling at 40mph on the opposite side of the road that's an 80mph closing speed.
I'm surprised they even passed their tests! ?

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
This is why people have become such horrible drivers within the past several years.
You dont understand. The car makes the driver better. My car by design leaves a gap based on speed behind the car in front of me. When someone cuts in my car backs off. I dont move from my lane because the car can watch the lane lines and keeps there. What I notice now more than ever is how bad people with cars that help none are when they drive. I can tell when I’m behind someone not using cruise. My car will speed up and slow down non stop matching the speed of the car in front of me. Maybe it was you I was following.

• Haha
Reactions: pweicks

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Isn’t this the same company (VW) that purposely wrote software to cheat on diesel emissions? People still support this company after that scandal? I don’t understand it...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Forget about the screens, what about the car... Maintenance cost? Dependability?

I’d say the dependability is there, Audi produces a really nice car. But if you can afford the car at that price tag, then you can certainly afford the maintenance cost(s) without thinking twice about it.

pweicks

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2016
USA
You dont understand. The car makes the driver better. My car by design leaves a gap based on speed behind the car in front of me. When someone cuts in my car backs off. I dont move from my lane because the car can watch the lane lines and keeps there. What I notice now more than ever is how bad people with cars that help none are when they drive. I can tell when I’m behind someone not using cruise. My car will speed up and slow down non stop matching the speed of the car in front of me. Maybe it was you I was following.
Ouch. Personal.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Here's my two pence.

I drive a latest gen A5 and had an A6 fully loaded as a loan car while mine was having some maintenance servicing work.

Let me tell you, I HATED the A6. It's one thing to not be able to fully control the entertainment safely while driving. Like okay, just wait until/ if you hit traffic to change it, but when your main functions of the car other than the hazards, such as temperature control, seat functions or demisting the car windscreen or rear window rely on super low down buttons with at least 20 of them thrown together, then it is a recipe for disaster.

On my A5, I can not only control important functions, such as demisting and getting myself, the driver, to a comfortable temperature, I can scroll wheel or press my way through pretty much every other function of the car. Start making an adjustment to music I.e. scrolling, drive and then continue to make an adjustment when it's safe to do so.

As a side note, as some other posters have mentioned, my car also does the whole steering in lane for you, and keeping a safe distance, cruise control etc. This is all nice and certainly reduces the fatigue while driving, but it definitely does not make you a better driver. Sometimes you have to be prepared to step in and correct mistakes the system will make.

I absolutely detest touch screen only controls in cars, and I'll be pretty tempted to move over to Mercedes for my next car because of it. Audi be stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.