Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
I just received my iPad mini and wanted to get a folio-style case for overall protection and multiple viewing/typing angles. after going through all the current options, i decided to go with Belkin:

http://www.belkin.com/us/F7N034-Belkin/p/P-F7N034?q=::devicePath:/Device/IPAD/APPLOTHAIPADMINI

Amazon has a great chart on the differences between the various Belkin iPad mini folio covers. Based on that, I decided to go with the "Dot Cover with Stand" for $39.99 + tax:

RhMQK.png

I wanted the case quickly and saw it on the Best Buy website, so I decided to head down to my local store and pick one up. The outside of the case is a soft material and the inside feels like suede fabric. There is a metallic latch that holds the cover shut or open. *NOTE* The sleep/wake function does not get activated when opening/closing this case

vTP2C.jpg

chVYu.jpg

2w1uF.jpg

869Jn.jpg

JT7ef.jpg

kjdNK.jpg

The iPad mini is held into the cover by four protective corners. They are soft, so I don't expect them to scratch the iPad when installing/removing it:

Pix0z.jpg

mwfx6.jpg

With the case installed, the overall package looks like a small book:

xtp4a.jpg

MNkcN.jpg

What I like the most about this case is the many different viewing/typing orientations you can put it in:

p0ije.jpg

bsSug.jpg

MRY67.jpg

h4v1r.jpg

7bMLn.jpg

**Overall, I highly recommend this case for those looking for a folio-style case for their new iPad minis. $39.99 is on the pricier side, but the case is extremely high quality and functions well. Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Last edited:

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
yah i know the sleep/wake function is important to a lot of people. for me, it's never been a consideration when buying cases. i just use the lock screen button.

dfine1966

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Did you try to take a picture with the case on yet to see if they cut the hole on the back out correctly?

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Did you try to take a picture with the case on yet to see if they cut the hole on the back out correctly?

yup the cutout for the camera is dead center:

H5r8K.jpg

taken from the iPad mini camera:

pTpUX.jpg

Last edited:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I bought this case from Amazon and I'm not happy with it. It's way way too thick.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
this case is definitely not for those who are looking to keep a thin profile. it does resemble a small novel, but i think this style of case does need some bulk in order to be sturdy enough to stand strong in the various reading/watching positions and provide the complete coverage that it was designed for.

deraj090

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010
I also bought the Belkin Folio case last night. I'm a huge fan, great build quality, though I feel its a bit bulky, and takes away from how thin/light the iPad mini is.

I purchased this on Amazon last night -- for how cheap it is, I'm not expecting great things, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised:

Bear Motion Premium Folio Case

MR1234: A tip for you, since i noticed from your pictures... When you have the case open, you can fold back the magnetic flap and it clicks into place, so it isn't in your way (see attached).

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 246

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
thanks for the tip! i discovered that as well after having already taken all the pictures hah. it's actually really nice that the magnetic flap is able to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.