Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
When the folks at Kavaj said they would send me out a Hamburg case for the iPad Air 2, my expectations were high. I had already reviewed all three of their iPhone 6 Plus cases (Dallas, Tokyo and Miami) and been very impressed. Well, when the Hamburg arrived, it surpassed my expectations. This is a very nice leather case. I like it much more than my Apple Smart Case--it has a more versatile stand, the leather feels softer and it feels as if it would provide more protection in a fall. Plus, at $59.99, it is a serious steal. Here's a few pics:

Kavaj Hamburg for iPad Air 2- Back View.jpg

Kavaj Hamburg for iPad Air 2- Back Stand View.jpg

Kavaj Hamburg for iPad Air 2- Front Stand View.jpg

Kavaj Hamburg for iPad Air 2- Typing Stand View.jpg

Kavaj Hamburg for iPad Air 2- Front View.jpg

And here's my YouTube review:

Thanks!

Kristin

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Berlin is nice and light. Although a lot of people dont like how it covers up the bezel around the screen. A little different then other cases

Last edited:

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I've had the Berlin case since November. As said, lightweight. Has held up very well. Better than the iPhone Dallas.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
My Dallas case started falling apart after a month , wrote Kavaj and got a full refund

Wow! I'm glad Kavaj is standing behind their products, but I'm sorry to hear that about the Dallas. My Dallas is holding up well--no problems with stitching or leather or anything. I do switch out my cases a lot, however, so I wouldn't say it has been getting heavy use.

Kristin

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
My Dallas case started falling apart after a month , wrote Kavaj and got a full refund

Mine is still intact but overly creased at the fold and I don't see it holding up well. I still use it for the gym. Some glue started to peel but I fixed that.

In general I don't mate well with flip wallets.

Orlandorealtor

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
winter garden,fl
Wow! I'm glad Kavaj is standing behind their products, but I'm sorry to hear that about the Dallas. My Dallas is holding up well--no problems with stitching or leather or anything. I do switch out my cases a lot, however, so I wouldn't say it has been getting heavy use.

Kristin

Also my Hamburg came apart at one place on top by bezel, and won't stand upright. Stlll usable ans they refunded that too after I sent pics

----------

Mine is still intact but overly creased at the fold and I don't see it holding up well. I still use it for the gym. Some glue started to peel but I fixed that.

In general I don't mate well with flip wallets.

I glued mine too, still somewhat usable

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Also my Hamburg came apart at one place on top by bezel, and won't stand upright. Stlll usable ans they refunded that too after I sent pics

----------

I glued mine too, still somewhat usable

My Berlin iPad case case has held up well. The Dallas just looks more used and I predict its life to be shorter. With so much flip action i don't know a thin leather case that can survive that.

What case do you use now?

Orlandorealtor

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
winter garden,fl
My Berlin iPad case case has held up well. The Dallas just looks more used and I predict its life to be shorter. With so much flip action i don't know a thin leather case that can survive that.

What case do you use now?

Went back to my devicewear ridge on my Ipad Air 2 and a Verus wallet on my 6 Plus,,both not leather but nice.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Well, as I said before, it is good that Kavaj is standing behind its products when they do not perform as promised. I haven't had any issues with my Kavaj products, but I am pretty gentle on things.

Which Verus wallet case do you have, if you don't mind my asking? I have the Verus Dandy Klop and the Verus Dandy Layered Wallet, and I think they are nice cases, but I find the faux leather to be overly slippery feeling in the hand.

Orlandorealtor

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
winter garden,fl
Well, as I said before, it is good that Kavaj is standing behind its products when they do not perform as promised. I haven't had any issues with my Kavaj products, but I am pretty gentle on things.

Which Verus wallet case do you have, if you don't mind my asking? I have the Verus Dandy Klop and the Verus Dandy Layered Wallet, and I think they are nice cases, but I find the faux leather to be overly slippery feeling in the hand.

Got the Layered Verus Wallet . I too am gentle with my products but for some reason the Kavaj did not hold up well for me. Still usable but coming apart. I am still looking at that Doc Artisan for a leather wallet. I love the leather. Any other recommendations on leather at this time?

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Got the Layered Verus Wallet . I too am gentle with my products but for some reason the Kavaj did not hold up well for me. Still usable but coming apart. I am still looking at that Doc Artisan for a leather wallet. I love the leather. Any other recommendations on leather at this time?

Doc Artisan is in the middle of releasing a whole new set of products. The case I reviewed for them--the Sport Leather Combo Wallet--is getting a complete redesign and will be available later this summer. They also have a new wallet design which has been on pre-order and is shipping next week. I should have a sample to review any day now. Overall, I'd say that the Doc Artisan products are the most heavy duty of the leather cases I have reviewed. I have been super impressed with their quality and look forward to seeing their new products.

The Verus Layered Wallet is really nice, for a faux leather product. It looks great and seems very well constructed. I just find it too slippery for my tastes :)

Orlandorealtor

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
winter garden,fl
Doc Artisan is in the middle of releasing a whole new set of products. The case I reviewed for them--the Sport Leather Combo Wallet--is getting a complete redesign and will be available later this summer. They also have a new wallet design which has been on pre-order and is shipping next week. I should have a sample to review any day now. Overall, I'd say that the Doc Artisan products are the most heavy duty of the leather cases I have reviewed. I have been super impressed with their quality and look forward to seeing their new products.

The Verus Layered Wallet is really nice, for a faux leather product. It looks great and seems very well constructed. I just find it too slippery for my tastes :)

Thanks for the info, The Verus is a little slippery but it works well and I really like it Don't like the Apple emblem exposed on the back but I just pu a screen saver over it to protect it. . May wait for the new Doc Artisan Sport Case. I like that it has an elastic band to keep everything in place.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Thanks for the info, The Verus is a little slippery but it works well and I really like it Don't like the Apple emblem exposed on the back but I just pu a screen saver over it to protect it. . May wait for the new Doc Artisan Sport Case. I like that it has an elastic band to keep everything in place.

I'm actually quite excited for the new Sport Combo Case because I think the new positioning of the strap will work well, and because it appears to have a stand function. I love wallet cases with a stand!

Kristin

Orlandorealtor

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2010
winter garden,fl
I'm actually quite excited for the new Sport Combo Case because I think the new positioning of the strap will work well, and because it appears to have a stand function. I love wallet cases with a stand!

Kristin
Is their a picture and description of the new Sport Case that is coming out later this year Kristin? Thanks

----------

Is their a picture and description of the new Sport Case that is coming out later this year Kristin? Thanks

Thought I found it but that was the old Sports Case Pictures

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Thanks I really like the looks of that one and has the camera cutout in the main case so you can leave the removable case in and take pics.

I agree--it looks really nice. Also, the strap looks like it covers the camera when the case is strapped closed. Nice design--protective!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.