Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tryppy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
112hqaq.png

Type: Drawing / Physics
Released: September 26th 2008
Seller: inXile Entertainment
Current Version: 1.1
Size: 0.6 MB
Cost: $2.99
Number of players: 1
App Store Link: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=290807369&mt=8

We've all seen these types of physics games before. Draw a simple line or a complicated route and your character will ride all the way down. It's more of a novelty app. Enjoyed playing for about 2mins and had to put it down. I'm terrible at making these types of games fun.

As much as these types of applications are not suited for myself, it may appeal to all those who love to draw and have fun tossing animated figures off cliffs.

Replayable factor: Low
App Store Rating 4 Stars
Personal Rating: 2 out of 5

Pros:
Physics are great
Use of different drawing tools
Able to erase parts of the course
No lag

Cons:
Fun for a few minutes
Not worth the price.

f20ett.png

*Please remember that this is a personal opinion and is not directed for you to purchase the game.*

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I hope you have your flame retardant undergarments on as you are going to get flamed to no end for that "review".

Why did you even buy the app if you already knew you were terrible at making these types of games fun?

tryppy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I hope you have your flame retardant undergarments on as you are going to get flamed to no end for that "review".

Why did you even buy the app if you already knew you were terrible at making these types of games fun?

Excuse me? No where did I mention that I have purchased this game. I review these so that people like "YOU" have a little more insight . I have played it though.

Regarless of your so called "flames", at least this is a contribution to the forums and many others will see it that way.

blairbeckwith

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Excuse me? No where did I mention that I have purchased this game. I review these so that people like "YOU" have a little more insight . I have played it though.

Regarless of your so called "flames", at least this is a contribution to the forums and many others will see it that way.

Remind me to ignore any posts from you in the future.

You said you put it down after a few minutes... But you didn't buy it?

You shouldn't even be reviewing apps you havnt bought.

Fail.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
You've gotta be kidding me with this review -- especially after NOT having bought it, and only tried it once. This is seriously one of the best apps out there now, and I can't put it down!! I too thought I would be really terrible at this type of physics app -- and when I saw what other people were doing, I was incredibly intimidated. But the really fun thing about this app is it is mostly just trial and error. You just have to be patient, and be willing to make a lot of mistakes. You don't have to be a "master" from the get-go.

If you make a mistake that crashes your rider, just redo it a different way and see how that works. The cool part is seeing how far you can go, and how a subtle change in your track can make a HUGE difference and alter things completely. I've actually been able to do a really cool and advanced track that I'm still working on, when at first I thought I would be absolutely terrible at this.

The price is also just right. I find it kind of lame that people are saying it should be free since it's free online, and that all the phone needs is flash to do it. Sorry -- but even if the phone had flash, it would be way too complicated and impractical to do it through the website version. Despite how simple this app looks, it's actually quite complex -- and I'm surprised the app is just $3. I would gladly pay a lot more, as I've DEFINITELY gotten way over my money's worth with the sheer amount of time I've used this app already. This is one app I'll NEVER get bored with -- the possibilities are endless!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
This is seriously one of the best apps out there now, and I can't put it down!! I too thought I would be really terrible at this type of physics app -- and when I saw what other people were doing, I was incredibly intimidated. But the really fun thing about this app is it is mostly just trial and error. You just have to be patient, and be willing to make a lot of mistakes. You don't have to be a "master" from the get-go.

Wait, is this the same as the online one? What is there to master? And how is it fun?

And I HAVE tried it. I played with this for almost half an hour one day. It was interesting, but I can't understand why anyone would come back and do it again. Once you've done it for 20-30 minutes, what's the point in doing it more?

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Wait, is this the same as the online one? What is there to master? And how is it fun?

I've never used the online version, but I'm assuming it's the same (though one review in the app store says you have more ways to customize on the iPhone version -- don't know it that's true).

And how is it fun? Gee, I don't know. How is anything fun? Sheesh -- I guess to each his own. One person's idea of fun is another person's idea of a boring time I guess. I'm sure there's lots of stuff you do for fun, that I would find incredibly dull -- but I certainly wouldn't question you about why you do it.

And I HAVE tried it. I played with this for almost half an hour one day. It was interesting, but I can't understand why anyone would come back and do it again. Once you've done it for 20-30 minutes, what's the point in doing it more?

To have fun? To see how far you can go? To see how creative you can be?

I never understand questions like "What's the point?" Seriously -- you can apply that to anything. "What's the point of playing poker?" "What the point of going to the beach?" "What's the point of having a girlfriend?" "What's the point of watching TV?" Well....the POINT is you get something out of all of these things. And if you don't, don't do them. But don't ask "what's the point?" either...that just makes you sound ignorant.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I guess to each his own. One person's idea of fun is another person's idea of a boring time I guess.

That's what I was looking for. I totally agree.

I do, however, have trouble matching this philosophy with your trashing of the reviewer. So you are allowed to have personal tastes, and I am allowed to have personal tastes, but the reviewer is not? I guess you and I just got lucky, huh?

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I do, however, have trouble matching this philosophy with your trashing of the reviewer. So you are allowed to have personal tastes, and I am allowed to have personal tastes, but the reviewer is not? I guess you and I just got lucky, huh?

Woah there, buddy. How was I trashing the reviewer exactly? How was I saying he's not allowed to have personal tastes? The "You gotta be kidding me" part of my response was written first, and was talking about the app. He didn't like it, and my response was initially "You gotta be kidding me, it's great!" I edited my post after seeing he hadn't even bought the app, and only briefly played with it. I still stand by what I said, though -- I think it's absurd to write this kind of app review when you haven't bought the app, you barely used it, and your review is largely based on "I'm terrible at these types of games."

Does he still have the right to post such a review? Sure, of course! But I have a right to say I think that's unfair. And no, that's not bashing the reviewer himself. Did I call him names? No. I'm bashing his review. You, and the reviewer, should not take it personally.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

failed for not buying the app and reviewing it

tryppy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

failed for not buying the app and reviewing it

Actually.

Epic = not having to purchase with my own funds and still own a copy of the app. Ah special privileges ;)

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
Actually.

Epic = not having to purchase with my own funds and still own a copy of the app. Ah special privileges ;)

So you probably used appulus, changed your mobileenhacer or whatever it is. Not special privildges, anyone can do it, and it's stealing. Stop acting so 'big'. And double posting, tut tut. love.

EDIT: If they all jumped off a cliff, would you? Ahh the best saying in the world.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Remind me to ignore any posts from you in the future.

You said you put it down after a few minutes... But you didn't buy it?

You shouldn't even be reviewing apps you havnt bought.

Fail.

well, then let me speak up....because i DID BUY IT.

the game is FAIL, not the OP.

this is made more for the desktop where you have a larger screen and the precision of a mouse....not a tiny touchscreen with your finger as the pointer.

game is boring and deleted off my phone.

there, a real review from someone who bought it. :)

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Actually.

So you stole it.

Then played with it for a few minutes

Then hated it.

Gotcha.

Will be ignoring everything from you from now on thief.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
Pay for your own stuff. And learn to actually play Line Rider. Once you get used to it it's hard to stop, I've played the flash version for hours on end. It's great with a tablet too :D. I bought this instantly, and love it. Look at some good tracks.... maybe it will inspire you.

/ignores

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
I bought this game thinking it would be cute, fun and a piece of cake. Thought i would give it a chance anyway since i like a challenge. It's hard!! It takes patience, thought, and practice. It's refreshing to find a game that makes you think and do work. It seems like there are too many games that are too simple and dumb. They can be good for a quickie but there's nothing like a challenge. I love to be able to just sit back and think through the challenge. It's at a great price too.

Enigmo is good for a challenge too. Too many people tell me it's too hard so they can't be bothered. To me, that's sad.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
well, then let me speak up....because i DID BUY IT.

the game is FAIL, not the OP.

this is made more for the desktop where you have a larger screen and the precision of a mouse....not a tiny touchscreen with your finger as the pointer.

game is boring and deleted off my phone.

there, a real review from someone who bought it. :)

Well at least you bought the app, so I give you credit there.

As for the app being "made more for a desktop," I don't know about that. Perhaps it is easier (I've never tried it) -- but I saw the site, and didn't feel compelled to use it at all. Instead, the idea of doing it on my phone seemed so much more appealing to me. It's cool that I can take my little track creations anywhere, and show them to whomever I want. I can't do that if I'm doing it on my computer. And I don't find it hard to use at all. There are some moments where it's difficult to make the exact line I want -- but I see that as part of the challenge!

I bought this game thinking it would be cute, fun and a piece of cake. Thought i would give it a chance anyway since i like a challenge. It's hard!! It takes patience, thought, and practice. It's refreshing to find a game that makes you think and do work. It seems like there are too many games that are too simple and dumb. They can be good for a quickie but there's nothing like a challenge. I love to be able to just sit back and think through the challenge. It's at a great price too.

Enigmo is good for a challenge too. Too many people tell me it's too hard so they can't be bothered. To me, that's sad.

Exactly!!
I love a good challenge too, and that's why this and Enigmo appeal to me as well. I don't like "easy" games. I like to put some thought into them.

ying yang

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
I've tried playing Enigmo and anytime it approaches any level of difficulty I quit. I just don't want that out of my phone. I'll then go home and play some rock hard game on my PC, and enjoy it. The reason is this: The iPhone is not a little computer. It's a phone: a toy to twiddle and have a little fun on while waiting, walking, whatever. It's a verrrrryyyyyyyyy casual medium for most people. When I'm at home, I can dedicate all my brain power to whatever I'm playing. When I'm out, on a lunch break, waiting for something, or slacking off at work I can't fully dedicate my brain to my phone. I just want something easy to entertain me for a few minutes.

There's absolutely nothing I can find "sad" about that.

Oh yeah, Line Rider: I played it a bit, I did find it pointless, and did remove it. Like with all my other unsynced apps I'll check out the features in each update and see if anything sparks my interest. Nothing against the game or people who enjoy it but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
When I'm out, on a lunch break, waiting for something, or slacking off at work I can't fully dedicate my brain to my phone. I just want something easy to entertain me for a few minutes.

I hear ya.
I actually agree that most apps for the iPhone should be made for "casual" play. I keep hearing the desire for console-level games from people, and I just don't think the iPhone is the best device for that kind of intense play. I don't think games should require more than 5 minutes at any given time, as it's a major drain on your battery each time -- and for iPhone users (not so much Touch users), that can be a BIG problem!

What's great about Line Rider, for me, is that it's both complex AND very easy/casual for me. I load it up on my way to work (subway), lay a few lines on my track, and continue with my day. Then I come home later and see how my "masterpiece" (heh) is doing. Since Line Rider isn't exactly a "game" -- there's no goal, timer, levels to beat, etc. -- there's zero stress involved. I can devote whatever level of brain-power I want to it at any given time, and still have fun with it. There's no "wrong" way of using the app, and you won't get penalties. Making "mistakes" is all part of the experience. It's actually a GREAT way for me to be lightly entertained and relieve some stress, without needing to put too much brain power into it (if I don't want to). When I'm ready to be more challenged with it, then I'll devote more time to it and get more involved. It's one of the most flexible apps around, actually!

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio

Well, I appreciate others who have purchased an app and considerate enough to post a review here. Sometimes I depend on reviews by others when making a purchasing decision. On more than one occasion a well written review has saved me money I would have wasted :D

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
You mean someone's charging $3 for something that I could play for free if the iPhone had friggin flash?

no, flash would be extremely hard to implement on the iPhone, you would never have the full functionality and control you would on a desktop browser.
:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.