Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Canadian company Monos recently gave me the opportunity to review its Metro Backpack, which is suitable for carrying a MacBook and other Apple products. Below, I have shared some details and thoughts on the backpack's design and utility.

Monos-Metro-Backpack-1.jpg

Monos offers the Metro Backpack in nylon and vegan leather finishes in a variety of colors. I chose the vegan leather option in a Saddle Tan color, which is regularly priced at $230 in the U.S., but has occasionally gone on sale for less.

Overall, I find the backpack to both look and feel very premium, with quality materials complemented by nice stitching. Monos says the backpack uses entirely vegan materials, including felt made from recycled plastic bottles. The vegan leather is said to be made from an "ultra-microfiber" material with water and scratch resistance.

The backpack has adjustable shoulder straps with the same vegan leather finish, and in my experience it has been comfortable to wear.

Metro-Backpack-3.jpg

The backpack features a large main compartment with two interior pockets, a zippered pouch, and a sleeve for holding an iPad, chargers and cables, books, pens, and other items. Beside the main compartment is a slimmer compartment with a separate zipper that is designed to hold a MacBook or other laptop for quick access. There is also a waterproof compartment that Monos says is ideal for items like shoes or a wet rain jacket.

Metro-Backpack-2.jpg

On the front, there is a smaller purse that can be detached from the backpack, which I think is a convenient two-in-one solution. Inside the purse, there is a zippered pocket with a translucent window, two other pockets that can fit items like a MacBook charger or a power bank, and a removable carabiner for use with keys and more.

Metro-Backpack-4.jpg

On the back, there is a pocket with a magnetic snap closure designed to hold an iPhone, passport, wallet, and other smaller valuables. There is also a strap on the back that allows the backpack to be secured to a suitcase handle while traveling.

All in all, I like the premium feel and the versatility of the Metro Backpack compared to some other backpacks with cheaper materials and fewer compartments. If you are willing to spend over $200 on a backpack for your Apple gear, the Metro Backpack is a great choice in my opinion, but it will not be for everyone at that price point.

You can order the Metro Backpack on the Monos website. The company currently ships to the United States, Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom, and it also sells matching bags, luggage, and other travel items.

Note: Monos provided MacRumors with the Metro Backpack for this review. No other compensation was received.

Article Link: Review: Metro Backpack by Monos Features a Dedicated MacBook Compartment

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
What Ive noticed since getting my MacBook Air M2 is that the options for backpacks and slip cases in Apple stores is pretty bad... and I'm surprised as when your spending so much on a Laptop... wouldn't it make sense to then be able to see a nice range of accessories like that, that Apple can sell you so that you have that confidence in quality?

I struggle to find decent backpacks and bags that provide solid protection (like a hard shell compartment) from bending and impact to the MacBook.

Especially since Apple made devices so so thin... I feel like I'll bend them in normal backpacks. Despite having Apple Care.. I just fear it bending! :/

Last edited:

andrewsipes

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2015
I purchased an earlier version of the Metro Backpack (same Saddle Tan as depicted in article) a couple years ago. It has held up incredibly well. It is the best backpack I have ever owned. I receive compliments and questions about this bag weekly when I am out in public. I will be purchasing this again whenever my current bag finally wears out (which will be many years from now).

Continue reading for some of my miscellaneous thoughts on the bag:
  • They have made improvements to it since then, like their new QuickSnap method for attaching Metro Kits. The new system is less fragile and the bag looks nicer when you are using it without a Metro Kit attached.
  • They also modified how far the main zipper goes down the bag. With my bag, the zipper goes al the way to the bottom of the bag, allowing it to open like a clamshell. I am not sure if they made this change for durability or because of customer feedback – I certainly prefer my current zipper.
  • I personally think the straps could use some additionally padding for comfort, but aesthetically the thinner straps look the best.

Reactions: Sunset Cassette

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Don’t all backpacks include a laptop compartment in 2023?

$230 is heavy.

The Monos product page for this backpack does not mention MacBook anywhere, so it's probable that MacRumors just added that word to optimize this article for search engines. Someone searches for "MacBook backpack" and this article has a better chance of popping up first.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Since FineWoven is already made from plastic, it seems that vegan leather would have been a better replacement? FineWoven was presented as something unique that Apple radically invented, but companies are already creating leather replacements made from recycled plastics. Kudos to Apple for trying to swing this one past us, though. 🤣

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
What Ive noticed since getting my MacBook Air M2 is that the options for backpacks and slip cases in Apple stores is pretty bad... and I'm surprised as when your spending so much on a Laptop... wouldn't it make sense to then be able to see a nice range of accessories like that, that Apple can sell you so that you have that confidence in quality?

I struggle to find decent backpacks and bags that provide solid protection (like a hard shell compartment) from bending and impact to the MacBook.

Especially since Apple made devices so so thin... I feel like I'll bend them in normal backpacks. Despite having Apple Care.. I just fear it bending! :/

Maybe Apple is preoccupied with maximizing profit margins in accessories over maximizing quality of non-Apple-branded offerings, where they get less blame if they fall apart?

But I did a search for hard shell briefcase 15" laptop and found many good matches. So you might want to fire up the search engine and type in a good description of what you want. Then shop where they are instead of in the Apple store.

Last edited:
Reactions: spcopsmac21

arcite

macrumors 6502a
Why use the term leather if your customers are horrified of cowhide?

FWIW, 45% of cattle hides go straight to the landfill. No cattle are purpose-bred just for their hides.

Imagine my horror when I realized some of the 'European' paintbrushes I was looking at on Amazon were made from actual squirrel tails.....from actual cute little squirrels that were born and bred in little cages, living horrible existences....then executed.....just so some yuppie artists can buy a paint brush with squirrel hair on the ends....for reasons.... The world has plenty of used plastics, and no matter how polluting that may be, at least there was no suffering involved in its creation.

Reactions: drumcat

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Don’t all backpacks include a laptop compartment in 2023?

$230 is heavy.

I have been shopping around for the perfect backpack for years. Yes, every laptop has a sleeve of some sort.

What is very hard to find is a completely separate compartment just for the laptop and nothing else, that is well designed and doesn’t waste space or endanger the laptop due to lack of padding or poorly placed zippers. Something that lets me just take out the laptop without bothering with the main pack.

There are a few, but then to combine that with a well designed rest of backpack is rare.

Not sure this is the one for me but it’s a good design.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021

It won’t bend. That unibody metal case is seriously one of the advantages. Just don’t do anything ridiculous with it. It will break before it bends.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
$230 for that buttfugly design with the mini-bag tacked onto the front and made of fake leather, to boot? I think not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.