Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
We have a last purchase thread Post Your Last Purchase XXVIII but we don't have a review thread (well not that I could find).

As you may or may not know when you buy products many sites like Amazon will ask you to post a review.
However they are also full of fake reviews.

So the idea is we review products we recently purchased and (hopefully) the posts from people that have been around for longer than 5 minutes might help others in their purchasing decisions.
This isn't really for a 4 pack of beer (my last purchase), but intended more for purchases that others might be considering. Doesn't have to be Apple either (obviously).

Pictures are also good.
Post a best thing and a worst thing.
Finally include and a score out of 10. (example below)

Okay so here goes.

bose_quietcomfort_35_case.jpg

So I have always been a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to headphones. Using just the ones that came with my iPhone.
About a year ago I bought a cheap pair of BT over the ear ones which to be fair did an okay job.

Anyway spent a while wondering if something better quality would be better for me. So after a bit of research and some trying to decide if I needed them or not, I bought a pair of Bose Quietcomfort 35.
They sounded so much better than what I had before. Like night and day really. Songs with quite pauses really show the difference. None of that annoying hiss I was used to. I love the sound quality and think it makes a big difference.
The noise cancelling is a great feature, although its not completely 100%. I've yet to review them on a plane, but in my open plan office they are great.
Battery life is good. After the initial charge I'm still at 60% after a week of ownership.
My only complaints are the case is great at protecting them, but needs a strap so you can carry it without a bag.
Also it does very occasionally cause a quick break in the music over BT (a bit like when a CD player would skip). Probably only happened about twice, but It used to happen a bit more on my old (much cheaper) phones.

Best feature: Sound quality and Noise cancelling
Worst Feature: Case needs a strap, BT very occasionally loses a nano second of music.
Overall 9/10

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
6c80e02dbe8329c7a7a732b9606c3742.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272430024542

This case is very easy to put on and remove. It sits flush with the phone so most dust/dirt stays out of it. The lip for the camera and front screen are just enough for solid protection. Lip isn't too big for most screen protectors, so it should work out well. Nice feel in hand and doesn't make the phone feel like a brick.

So far it hasn't left any marks on the jet black finish, will update if it does.

9.9/10 recommended.

-.1 because no plastic covering to protect Apple logo.

Reactions: Huntn

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
https://www.ebay.com/itm/272430024542

This case is very easy to put on and remove. It sits flush with the phone so most dust/dirt stays out of it. The lip for the camera and front screen are just enough for solid protection. Lip isn't too big for most screen protectors, so it should work out well. Nice feel in hand and doesn't make the phone feel like a brick.

So far it hasn't left any marks on the jet black finish, will update if it does.

9.9/10 recommended.

-.1 because no plastic covering to protect Apple logo.

I have the same case for my 6s - and it's a super good case.

Pros in my book:
- Super slim
- With apologies to Septembersrain, no hole for the apple logo, which lets in dust :)
- Good coverage despite the slim design, rubberized insert for moderate shock protection and a hard bumper-style band
- Those silly carbon fiber accents aren't decals, they're molded right in and feel like carbon fiber. I like the carbon fiber accents, but that's objective.
- Really nice is the fact it's so stinking snug for the phone; no air gaps to collect the dirt.

Cons:
- None for me. If you complain about lack of military-grade shock protection on a slim line case, you're just being stupid. Go buy an Otterbox.

I'd say 9/10 as well. I love it. And it's cheap. At least mine was.

Reactions: Septembersrain

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The sad thing about owning iOS devices, is that to give them meaningful protection, their beautiful form is obscured, and their weight is easily doubled. I bought a new iPad at Thansgiving and I love this Ballistic ToughnJacket case for it, but I think it triples it's weight! It also includes a largish plastic cover that can be snaped on the front to protect the screen during transport and snapped on the back to use it's kick stand.
This image is the back of the case. The blacks edges are rubber with a substantial edge around the front screen.

93eb7cb6-fc0a-41b0-bfbd-2c1b4bab84e0_1.9b333b805b3e6d23c47440e13f9c21d6.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The sad thing about owning iOS devices, is that to give them meaningful protection, their beautiful form is obscured, and their weight is easily doubled. I bought a new iPad at Thansgiving and I love this Ballistic ToughnJacket case for it, but I think it triples it's weight! It also includes a largish plastic cover that can be snaped on the front to protect the screen during transport and snapped on the back to use it's kick stand.
This image is the back of the case. The blacks edges are rubber with a substantial edge around the front screen.

93eb7cb6-fc0a-41b0-bfbd-2c1b4bab84e0_1.9b333b805b3e6d23c47440e13f9c21d6.jpeg

But @Huntn, there are companies, - even US companied - that make very attractive (rather than covers that are functional but brutalist) covers for iPhones, or iPads which also serve to protect them.

The Colonel Littleton company comes to mind, as does TwelveSouth; and then, there is also Saddleback - which - if anything - is even more robust.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.