Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
Short and sweet this one. VERY nice bit of kit! Excellent finish, Mac Mini fits great and the non slip pads are of good quality. Now takes up a stupidly small amount of space on my desk and looks damn cool :D

...can't think of a bad word to say about it.

They also told me that they will have UK distribution soon too, picked mine up while I was in CA on business last week.

Pics!!

mac2.jpg

mac3.jpg

http://www.plasticsmith.com

Cheers,
Adam

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Very nice!

Your setup, much more than the iMac G5, really makes me say "where did the computer go?"

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
what about the mini overheating?? wouldnt that be an issue??

but nice setup, i am jealous

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
PlaceofDis said:
what about the mini overheating?? wouldnt that be an issue??

but nice setup, i am jealous

Not so far, and Plasticsmith claim to have done their own testing. There are still slots top and bottom for venting warm air.

Cheers,
Adam

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
monty77 said:
Not so far, and Plasticsmith claim to have done their own testing. There are still slots top and bottom for venting warm air.

Cheers,
Adam

cool, i think i would be paranoid myself though, but like i said, great setup, love that monitor of yours

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
Yep, that's really really cool. And quite an amazing setup you've got - flat screen on the wall, very fancy...

A

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
Patmian212 said:
Exactly what is the point of it though, apart from it looking really cool :D

..footprint is approx 1/3 compared to sitting horizontal on the desk - my desk space was kind of cramped before so the extra space makes it much nicer to work with. Protects it from scratches too :D

A

easymac800g4

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
tuscaloosa, Alabama
that glow skirt thing is awesome, only flaw being it takes up one of the usb ports. but those that have a hub can finally say they have a better looking computer than those glowing pc gamers that are out there.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
easymac800g4 said:
that glow skirt thing is awesome, only flaw being it takes up one of the usb ports. but those that have a hub can finally say they have a better looking computer than those glowing pc gamers that are out there.
I've ordered a Mac mini glo skirt in white, it should be here late next week... I'll post a review with pictures when it gets here.

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
brap said:
Wow, dude, are you longsighted?

Sat so far away from that monitor, at that resolution, would make my brain hurt.

It's really a very pretty setup, though.

lol

Work laptop runs at 1600x1200 so used to daft resolutions. Dell 24"" WS coming as soon as they run another special :D

A

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Eh...I could never use a fullscreen display again. Actually, it took my reading other peoples posts before I realized there was a display there. So, even more so, it made me say "where did the display go?"

OCOTILLO

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2005
Houston, TX
Mac mini tower

Patmian212 said:
Exactly what is the point of it though, apart from it looking really cool :D

I agree. I purchased the Mac mini because of it's small size. Why add anything to make it bigger? Also, it looks great just the way it is. I went to the Plasticsmith website, they have a display stand (highly overpriced) that allows the mini to sit under the display if you really want to save desk space.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
monty77 said:

Cheers,
Adam

They may have done some testing, but the fact remains that the Mac mini was designed to be cooled from the bottom-up to the back. I really wonder what such a setup would do to the Mac mini (in terms of heat).

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Yvan256 said:
They may have done some testing, but the fact remains that the Mac mini was designed to be cooled from the bottom-up to the back. I really wonder what such a setup would do to the Mac mini (in terms of heat).

It will explode :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.