Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
One user notes that someone posted possible screenshots of Revit for Mac OS X on one forum

Revit is an Autodesk product for architectual drafting.

The Autodesk® Revit® platform for building information modeling is a complete architectural design and documentation system supporting all phases of design and all the architectural drawings and schedules required for a building project. From massing and conceptual studies through the most detailed construction drawings and schedules, Autodesk Revit has tools that provide productivity, coordination, and quality for the building team

The only caveat is that these images were posted on April 1, 2003.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
For what it's worth, those look like some pretty authentic shots. (Now, I know that it wouldn't be too hard to mock that up, but still...).

Also, a couple of years ago, I was working as the head R&D Design Engineer at a company and we had some guys from AutoDesk come out and show us Inventor. After the presentation I pulled one of them off to the side and asked about support for Inventor on other platforms (including, but not limited to MacOS X). He told me that there were no plans for platforms such as Linux, but that AutoDesk was keeping their eye on MacOS X to see how it faired. I wouldn't be too surprised to learn that many of their top-end products, such as Revit, and Inventor have MacOS X builds at this point. Whether or not they'll ever see the light of day is another question entirely...

bigjohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2000
Monrovia, CA
AD

If G4 processors (and soon the 970) are so much superior to whatever x86 is out this week, why haven't companies like Autodesk fully-embraced the platform the way the video/film communities have? With that, Architectural Desktop would be a huge seller considering that many outfits would much rather have Macs on their desk than PCs.

Let's get cracking Autdesk

knoxer

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2003
Iowa - USA
Come on Autodesk!!

Well, I don't do much with architecture, but if this is true it gives me hope that Inventor may come to OS X also. I would be VERY happy to get rid of the Dell in my office!!!

And, although it really sucks, AutoCAD would be nice on OS X too. Or at the VERY LEAST VoloView Express (the worst program ever created by man)

Down with dwg! DOWN WITH DWG!!

Jason

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
if the shots are fake, they've certainly fooled me. the fact that they clash with the hig so badly is a good indicator that they are real (some snazzy cocoa mockup would be too obvious). it's good to hear that some of the big names in drafting are finally taking notice of osx.

DeusOmnis

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
My ownly beef with those screenshots is that if the person knows computers well enough to have pre-released software (had gotten it one way or another) they would know how to take REAL screen shots instead of ones with a camera. This is, of course, assuming that it was thier computer that they were taking the screen shots of.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by DeusOmnis
My ownly beef with those screenshots is that if the person knows computers well enough to have pre-released software (had gotten it one way or another) they would know how to take REAL screen shots instead of ones with a camera. This is, of course, assuming that it was thier computer that they were taking the screen shots of.

You didn't read the message that preceeded the pics. It wasn't his computer. He was being shown the app by people who were testing it for AutoDesk. He said that he got some time alone with the computer and pulled his camera out of his pocket.

boskie

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2001
North Side Of Itchy Town
If these truly indicate that Autodesk are bringing their products to OS X, PLEASE let that mean that Discreet will follow suit with Flame/Inferno/Flint etc..

Will SGI allow it??

The future's gonna be very interesting as far as digital video and visual effects go - way to go apple for leading the way!

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
Originally posted by boskie
If these truly indicate that Autodesk are bringing their products to OS X, PLEASE let that mean that Discreet will follow suit with Flame/Inferno/Flint etc..

Will SGI allow it??

The future's gonna be very interesting as far as digital video and visual effects go - way to go apple for leading the way!

Well, SGI 'allowed' for Maya to be ported to OSX... and I am not sure SGI really has a grip in the industry anymore (I mean anything below high end server and supercomputing).

I would really like to see 3DSmax on OSX...not that it is the best program, but it is the one I have to use at work ;)

I think AutoCad would be more realistic though...those architects love macs.

boskie

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2001
North Side Of Itchy Town
I reckon 3DS Max is a more than likely bet considering the effort they put into combustion 2.1 - and how well they intergrate on a pc.

Discreet have just opened a new office in the heart of Soho, not far from where i work, in london. Maybe i should go round and ask a few questions...?

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
Discreet have just opened a new office in the heart of Soho, not far from where i work, in london. Maybe i should go round and ask a few questions...?

Get a job as a janitor and sneak in a spycam...the world needs to know ! The truth is out there ! We count on you. Be strong.
:D

p.s: oh, and cheers

boskie

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2001
North Side Of Itchy Town
Originally posted by etoiles
Get a job as a janitor and sneak in a spycam...the world needs to know ! The truth is out there ! We count on you. Be strong.
:D
p.s: oh, and cheers

I'll definately get some info and a photo of the building - if yer lucky i'll try and get a shot of the fish 'n' chippie i go to for lunch across the road
;)

Escher

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2001
Dakar, Senegal
Re: Come on Autodesk!!

Originally posted by knoxer
although it really sucks, AutoCAD would be nice on OS X too.

VectorWorks has pretty good DXF import these days, especially in v10.1. But a Mac OS X version of AutoCAD would certainly help Mac users work with CAD documents from other platforms. More competitionamong CAD programs for Mac OS X would be a good thing.

Escher

jrichie

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Aus
autocad

If there was autocad and 3dsmax on macosx, I would be the happiest person around. They are the main programs I use at work.

However I have recently invested in Vectorworks and Cinema 4D, in a valent attempt never to have to turn a PC on again. It is not likely to happen though unless Acad is ported which I dream of.

As a side, I remember about half a year ago an article in MacUser about the porting of Autocad etc using some program. I can't remember what it is, and does anyone know anything else about this??

BTW, first post after reading Macrumors for about 2 years now. Yep, I am lazy.........

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Re: autocad

Is Revit anything like AutoCAD? Or is it more like a design management program?

Originally posted by jrichie
If there was autocad and 3dsmax on macosx, I would be the happiest person around. They are the main programs I use at work.

However I have recently invested in Vectorworks and Cinema 4D, in a valent attempt never to have to turn a PC on again. It is not likely to happen though unless Acad is ported which I dream of.

As a side, I remember about half a year ago an article in MacUser about the porting of Autocad etc using some program. I can't remember what it is, and does anyone know anything else about this??

BTW, first post after reading Macrumors for about 2 years now. Yep, I am lazy.........

I like some things about Vectorworks, like its similarities to graphic design programs, but I think it's inferior to AutoCAD as a design tool. I was hoping that version 10 would provide some significant improvements to its interface and drawing tools but I was really disappointed by how little had changed. Its interface, like its fill and stroke palette, is super outdated.

I'm not fan of AutoCAD, mind you. I'm still holding out hope for some new architecture app, that's intuitive and powerful, to take the arch world by storm. Until that happens, I have to use AutoCAD, which means I have to use a PC (since AutoCAD is too slow in VPC; maybe this will change with the IBM 970).

I know a lot of architects and product designers are attracted to Macs for its superior product design and user interface, but it's difficult for them to justify making a big investment inMacs since very few of the major apps (AutoCAD, Rhino, 3DStudioMax) are written for Macs.

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
Re: autocad

Originally posted by jrichie

I know exactly what you mean. Of course you can do the work with different programs, and usually there is a way of somehow importing data from one program into another. But if Apple wants to be taken seriously in a market, they will have to run the 'standard' packages first, because people need to exchange and work on files seamlessly...
Could you imagine the mac without MS Office ?

Apple seems to be focusing on the video/film market right now, with a bit of sound on the side. I hope this is going to bleed into 3D and 2D drafting next...we shall see.

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
I'll definately get some info and a photo of the building - if yer lucky i'll try and get a shot of the fish 'n' chippie i go to for lunch across the road
;)

[HOMER SIMPSON VOICE] Hmmmmmmm...fish n' chips aaarghaaaargh....[/HOMER SIMPSON VOICE]:D

ant

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2002
Hi jst wanted t oask since u guys are on the topic of cad packages what is the best cad package to model products on os x , price does matter cos i am a student.

Thanks all help appreciated.

Ant

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
Originally posted by ant
Hi jst wanted t oask since u guys are on the topic of cad packages what is the best cad package to model products on os x , price does matter cos i am a student.

Ant

For product design, you should consider FormZ...it is pretty expensive though, not sure what deal you can get as a student. You can pretty much build anything in it, but I'd recommend it for more technical and precise stuff. The rendering is not really mindblowing (last time I checked, it has been a while). Also, it lacks animation but includes good drafting tools.

If you are looking for a cheaper all-around alternative and your main focus is on creating 3D images and animation (rather than precise CAD data), I'd have a look at Cinema4D. It is 'only' about $600 (don't worry, you can buy a few advanced modules if that is too cheap ;) ) but again there might be a deal for students. It is fast and stable, and offers most modeling, animation and rendering features of the high-end packages.

In the 'upper class', you have Lightwave and Maya. Lightwave shines at organic modeling and rendering, while Maya is really good for animation. But the line between them gets blured as new versions are rolling out (for example non linear animation for Lightwave, mental ray in Maya etc.).

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Re: Re: autocad

Originally posted by dongmin
Is Revit anything like AutoCAD? Or is it more like a design management program?

I like some things about Vectorworks, like its similarities to graphic design programs, but I think it's inferior to AutoCAD as a design tool. I was hoping that version 10 would provide some significant improvements to its interface and drawing tools but I was really disappointed by how little had changed. Its interface, like its fill and stroke palette, is super outdated.

I'm not fan of AutoCAD, mind you. I'm still holding out hope for some new architecture app, that's intuitive and powerful, to take the arch world by storm. Until that happens, I have to use AutoCAD, which means I have to use a PC (since AutoCAD is too slow in VPC; maybe this will change with the IBM 970).

I know a lot of architects and product designers are attracted to Macs for its superior product design and user interface, but it's difficult for them to justify making a big investment inMacs since very few of the major apps (AutoCAD, Rhino, 3DStudioMax) are written for Macs.

AutoCAD is an industry dinosaur. I've had to use it for years, and I can't stand it. It hardly has an up-to-date user interface. Even AutoDesk is moving away from it. Each of the major design areas AutoDesk is putting out a new product (i.e. Revit for Architecture, Inventor for Mechanical Engineering, etc.).

I have also used VectorWorks for years (since before version 6, when it was still known as MiniCAD), and I find it to be an excellent program. I will grant that it has some limitations, and some bugs, but then so does every program. (I could go on, but I don't want to get too far off topic.)

Anyway, I would be surprised if AutoCAD is ported to OS X. (I wouldn't be too surprised if AutoCAD is discontinued before too long, leaving 'AutoCAD Lt' as the bottom end generic drafting program, and their specialty packages for more indepth capabilities.)

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by ant

Ant

Ant-
VectorWorks is a great product, and I know that it has a student priced version available. If you'd like more information about it, feel free to email me.

pev

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Near Bath, UK
Screenshots

Whilst it looks genuine enough, two points :
1) The Calendar is PROMINENTLY on the dock showing that its April 1st.
2) In the pic of the cupboard shown, the perspective is well out on the top surface, and isnt consistantly out in the same way lower down, making it look hand drawn rather than modelled. Its highly unlikely this would be a genuine pic.

Personally I dont trust this one bit. But then, I'm paranoid.

~Pev

hrashid

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2003
New York/Boston
Greetings, I won't pretend to be a professional in any capacity regarding CAD programs or architecture.

However, I do have a passing interest in the aesthetics of space and have found a really good site (http://www.archnet.org) that offers space for people interested in architecture to get together. There are some interesting forums there about the use of technology in design, and the types of tools to use, which may be of interest to some of the posters on this list.

It's run out of MIT, and always has some interesting topics.

(As I'm reading this, I realize it sounds like an ad, but it's not. Just trying to share something I found useful.)

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Screenshots

Originally posted by pev
Whilst it looks genuine enough, two points :
1) The Calendar is PROMINENTLY on the dock showing that its April 1st.
2) In the pic of the cupboard shown, the perspective is well out on the top surface, and isnt consistantly out in the same way lower down, making it look hand drawn rather than modelled. Its highly unlikely this would be a genuine pic.

Personally I dont trust this one bit. But then, I'm paranoid.

why would anyone go through the trouble of photoshopping up a piece of software that only a minority of Mac users cares about?

Ant: regarding 3d modelling on Macs, I have to second form-z. It's interface may seem unwieldy and you'll have your share of hair-pulling days, but it's fairly powerful as a modeller. It's popular even in the PC world. The rendering is not so bad either, at least in the newer versions. They're coming out with a new OS X native version in mid April. It may be worthwhile looking into.

Snowy_River: Yes, AutoCAD has been around a while, but it's hardly on the verge of extinction. It's still as prevalent in the architecture world as Windows is in personal computing world. I'm not a particular fan,but it has its advantages: it's fast, robust, and features-loaded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.