Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottcb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Greenfield MA
I got this for 100mhz machine free. I just would like to use it in my livingroom. I have
*minimal extensions + control panels
*40MB ram
*ram doubler 8
*os8.6
*tried ram disk but due to memory...
*int/ext modem
*Speed doubler 8 (if someone could help me with getting the free, rare lost update 8.1.2 updater anywhere? -scottcb@mail.com)

Was the mac honestly THIS SLOW re: internet browsing in 1995 (albeit the dawn of mass internet usage)? Was this really offered to be this way at the time?
Can I "re-enact" with appropriate browser version for the time?
(in the name of speed)

Will a max out of ram (a 56mb ram module from some ebay cheap used salvage) help the speed? I was told it would!

Thanks to all well informed..

Yeats- ..tread lightly on my dreams..

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
scottcb said:
Was the mac honestly THIS SLOW re: internet browsing in 1995 (albeit the dawn of mass internet usage)? Was this really offered to be this way at the time?

Yes, it really is that slow. The lack of L2 cache in these machines hindered its performance potential.

As long as there is enough free RAM to load your browser, then a RAM upgrade will do nothing.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
You also have to remember that internet pages today are a lot more resource hungry than they were 10 years ago.

Back in 1999 I used to surf on a PowerBook 180c without much trouble, but today the oldest machine I can surf (relatively) smoothly on is my PowerMac 6100/66.

racepres

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2004
central Michigan
Can tell ya that a 1400/133 w/32M ram is very slow on the net....I think that the old version of icab may have been fastest, But it does not seem to be available anymore, [anybody got it??]. Believe it or not , the old 4.something IE is probably next fastest w/ my ole 540c. and 7.6, but I stick to mozilla w/ anything over OS8. Just some musings and a bit of reminiscing... I have tho been known to sit in my recliner w/ either an old 1400 or even [when I feel patient] the 540. to play some old games and even check the "online" tv guide cause tv aint what it used to be, I multitask [catch that buzzword??] if I had a 5300 I would probably do the same w/ it... Good luck and if you find a usable copy of the old [68k] icab pls LMK..... MV

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
I can remember surfing the net on my Duo 280 (14.4 connection when out and about, 56k while at home) without too many issues up to about 1999. I was browsing on my Quadra 950 up to 2001 (56k connection) on it's original processor (68040 at 33 MHz).

The internet is a different place today. Few people take the time to optimize their sites for slower connection rates or slower systems, and it is noticeable.

My Duo 2300c (56 MB of RAM, 603e at 100 MHz, Mac OS 8.6 and RAMDoubler 8) is almost never on the internet. But that wasn't why I got it either (it is a good system for running some of my old math apps and weighs about the same as one of my math books).

The slowest system I currently do any browsing on is my 8600 (604e at 300 MHz), though I do check out pages from time to time on my 3400c (603e at 200 MHz, 80 MB of RAM). The internet has become too graphic laden these days for me to browse with anything slower. I can't even remember the last time I looked at a page on my Quadra 950 (now running a 601 at 66 MHz).

scottcb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Greenfield MA
thanks! ...

I think I will obsess on this 5300 a bit more. I learned typing the word "forum" triggers a panic response from google (don't worry I'm typing from an iMac) which says your computer has a virus. I learned this whille looking for antivirus software for an hour or so.

I think I will set the browser for no image loading, b/w, and maybe limit the memory given to the browser. These limits I can live with, just to be in a change of room "surfing". Still trying to find the 8.1.2 update somewhere for speed doubler 8, but that will take time.

I think I prefer the cooperation of the PPC software over the emulation of the 68k with the PPC. It seems more fluid, faster to me, even when I did put a bare system in the RAM disk for a startup disk. The section from Mac Secrets vol.5 where it suggests putting the HD icon in the trash, to confuse and stop the HD, (having an alias in the startup folder for access) saving battery life seems good only for the one session. Also, clicking on the alias brings back the original.

Wouldn't the limiting of ram to the browser help the internet speed just a bit with an extra 16mb ram on a module(for a total of 56)? Maybe not, given the ram hungry PPC os 8.6.

macg4

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Des Moines,Iowa
yeah most older macs will browse quite slow unless its a text only page. too many java scripts, pics, plug-ins today. the old macs just cant handle all those things. I brwose with a wireless card on my 1400c and its not too bad. using my 2300c is pretty slow. i have had my 9500 online and its pretty pokey as well. the best online is proabaly my powermac 5400/180 or my quadra 950(w/ 100mhz powerpc upgrade).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.