Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andym172

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
UK
I've accidentally pulled the cable of the charger out of the 'nub' at the end. As I've done a particularly poor job at describing it, here's a picture (apologies for the poor quality - taken with my camera phone):

Image-0B5CE199E56711D9.jpg

How easy is it to re-insert the wire, and more specifically, make sure it stays there?

The sum total of my available tools is a Leatherman Wave so it'd better not be too technical! :D :rolleyes:

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Unfortunately, my guess is that the hub housing is glued together. That means it cant readily be taken apart to fix. If somehow you can separate the white body from the grey plug end (opposite of the wire) you should have access to where the wires attach to prongs that feed the actual plug end. You may have either pulled the wires from the soldered tabs, or just pulled the wire out of the housing (I can't tell from the picture).
If you broke the solder, you can purchase a cheap soldering iron and attempt to fix it. The problem may be determining what wire goes where. If you are wrong, could cause big problems.
For all of that, it seems to me the easiest solution would be to invest in a new cord. Unless you need to buy the actual power brick, it shouldn't be more than $30.

Sorry, I checked Apple's site. Looks like it might set you back $79. Here is the link. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...t8Wmr29GSPi2OHIBqkYI/2.0.11.1.0.6.25.7.11.0.3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.