Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
I have been looking at RacerX's website and have been in interested in taking a look at this OS. It looks like a very interesting OS especially since i have not used it. I have used most other OS releases. So what version would be the best to get my hands on? I have a old PowerPC poweredge(i think) clone. It has a 604e CPU as I recall. No clue if it will work, i think its a equivalent to a 7600. I could always find other hardware to run it on.I just want the one with the best hardware support(the newest?) And where would I get this from? Is it available online for free?

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
For that system, either Rhapsody 5.3 (Mac OS X Server 1.0) or Rhapsody 5.6 (Mac OS X Server 1.2 or 1.2v3) would work fine. Rhapsody 5.3 can be upgraded to 5.5 (Mac OS X Server 1.0.2) which has all the same features as Rhapsody 5.6. The main difference between Rhapsody 5.5 and 5.6 is support for early G4 based PowerMacs.

As for your system, if you have a PowerPC 604e at 180 MHz or faster you should be in pretty good shape. If you have 64 MB of RAM and don't plan on using Blue Box you should be okay. If you are going to use Blue Box you'll want at least 128 MB of RAM.

Okay... the price issue.

Like NEXTSTEP, OPENSTEP and A/UX... Rhapsody uses technology that Apple had to license (which included the Unix underpinning of all of these). Because of that Apple will never give any of these away for free.

Most copies of Mac OS X Server 1.x have been running around $35 for the last couple years... though a relative shortage recently pushed a few ebay auctions up over $50 (with one ending at $80). Most of the places that used to care copies have run out, which leaves ebay as pretty much the main source these days.

I still watch ebay from time to time because I still need a copy of Mac OS X Server 1.0 that is labeled Mac OS X Server 1.0... my only copy is a misprint that says Mac OS X Server 1.1. Actually, there were two runs of CDs that were mislabeled as Mac OS X Server 1.1 so I'm also looking for the other one too. And there was a Mac OS X Server 1.2 upgrade CD which would upgrade a Mac OS X Server 1.0.x installation to Mac OS X Server 1.2... which is actually sort of a waste of time as there isn't any way to get it on a G4 because 1.0.x can't be installed on a G4 before the upgrade to 1.2 (which is why these disks are so rare, Apple quickly realized what a waste they actually were).

So basically, I'm still semi-actively looking for missing media for my Rhapsody collection, which is why I watch ebay every so often.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
Sorry I just looking into it its a PowerCenter 132mhz 604. It has over 128 mb of RAM. Not sure the exact amount. Does that change anything?

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
It sort of depends on what you would be doing with it.

I run Rhapsody 5.1 on my ThinkPad which has a Pentium at 133 MHz (and 80 MB of RAM)... which is about half as fast as a 604 at 132 MHz. But I also don't use the ThinkPad for heavy graphics tasks. It is mainly for viewing HTML, RTF/RTFD and PDF documentation these days, and it doesn't have to worry about running Blue Box.

On the other hand, when I started doing a lot of web and page layout work, having a faster processor (and more memory) made a big difference. With some of my bigger projects in Rhapsody it is nice to have my 8600/300. Still, I was able to do very nice work on my 7500 (which at one point had a 604e/225, 256k of L2 and 512 MB of RAM).

Memory wise, you are most likely in pretty good shape. Processor wise, you could replace the 604/132 with a 604e/200 for about $15-20. That would put you in a good position to get a feel for the system and what different apps can do.

... there is a copy of Rhapsody 5.6 on ebay right now (here), but it is starting at $79.

On the plus side, it is a complete set of media (rather than being sold as individual disks)... on the downside, the seller knows what it is he is selling (which is most likely why the price is starting out at $79).

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
RacerX said:
... there is a copy of Rhapsody 5.6 on ebay right now (here), but it is starting at $79.

On the plus side, it is a complete set of media (rather than being sold as individual disks)... on the downside, the seller knows what it is he is selling (which is most likely why the price is starting out at $79).
WOW expensive. Well I guess I can use it then once I am done with it uninstall it and sell it again. hmmm. I will have to decide if I want to get that one or not. At least I know what to keep my eyes open for. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.