Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitetrashanth

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
occasionally i got on to certain websites,...normally ones with a bit of media on it like a movie/ bit of audio on it

and safari bloody freezes,..?!

so i have to force quit it,..

its a brand new machine,.only recieved it last week!! but only got 1GB RAM in so far,.. as i will purchase some in the week,..

can anyone tell me or point me in the right direction as to WHY this KEEPS happening,.. i mean quite alot

all im running is itunes, safari, and preview

the other day iwas running garage band,safari,itunes,limewire and a few other applications and everything was going very nicely,.. so im not quite sure as to the problem here? it cant be the RAM?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
whitetrashanth said:
occasionally i got on to certain websites,...normally ones with a bit of media on it like a movie/ bit of audio on it

It could just be the website - post a link and we'll see.

D

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
iGary said:
"Ridiculous."

What sites?

myspace will lock Safari up in a heartbeat on my machine.
Yeah, same, I can't view myspace very easily on a Mac. :rolleyes:

I seriously think you shouldn't be calling a Quad PowerMac G5 rediculous.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
so let's go back to the topic, shall we?

which site was the OP talking about?

i would trade my old G4 for that QUAD. pm me and we could arrange something. :)

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
redAPPLE said:
so let's go back to the topic, shall we?

which site was the OP talking about?

i would trade my old G4 for that QUAD. pm me and we could arrange something. :)

That was our last question to him. We're just passing the time with idle chit chat waiting for an answer.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
How I hate to put down a piece of software written by Apple, I would say to use Firefox instead. However, even if Firefox running on my Linux machine it crashes from time to time. Usually when it is trying to load the default media player and I am doing too many other things at once, but again this isn't a quad. Your quad should do fine with Firefox.

BTW: We run Firefox at school on the G3 iMacs, they are only like 400Mhz (500 at the most) and have like 256megs of RAM. At any given time there can be a number of systems accessing myspace (a bunch of addicts today's youth are :) ) , and the browsers are not crashing.

So anyone, since Safari is the browser in question, try Firefox and I doubt you will have the same problems or atleast not as often.

.... is that even legal on an Apple forum to tell someone to use something "non-Apple"?

whitetrashanth

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
i didnt say the site,.. as i was awaiting what you might say

and YES,,,.

its myspace that it freezes on!!

sheeitt.....

how comes ?!?!!

cheers for that,. i found that quite humorous;)

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
whitetrashanth said:

and YES,,,.

sheeitt.....

how comes ?!?!!

It's the embedded WMP BS that people put in. So...

No Myspace fo you. Come back two months.
:D

whitetrashanth

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
smchitdd... thats harsh...

well its only a couple of "friends" pages...over all its not too bad..

and yes im very proud to say everyone on my "friends" list i do indeed ACTUALLY KNOW!

i doubt 99% of other myspacers can say the same thanngg..

anyway cheers for the very prompt answer to this,.. i guess il have to steer clear of those little gits..

:rolleyes:

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
iGary said:
No Myspace fo you. Come back two months.
:D

You want bread? Three Dollars!

Anyways, I know i'm just steering this thread even more off track, but I've also noticed that basically any microsoft website messes up in safari, but I guess that's to be expected.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
whitetrashanth said:

and YES,,,.

sheeitt.....

how comes ?!?!!

It's not the browser itself because they all react the same way. I've used Firefox, Shiira, Safari and they all blow up trying to display things through plug-ins.

Flash is usually fine but Windows Media--even with just one, the whole thing will freeze.

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
quad PM with only 1gb of ram what wrong with that scenerio (needs more ram)

umm ide say use safari and look around for patches for it to make it run smoothe

i know there are patches out there (ive seen them)

liquidh2o

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2004
Alabama
thought the myspace lockups in safari might be App specific but the same thing happens with firefox. It usually only happens on the profiles with a lot of clutter(cr*p) on it.

JasonGough

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Manchester, UK
No MySpace Problems Here......

don't know whats going on here?!?!

I'm running a dual core power mac on 10.4.3, and i use Safari to check and edit my bands MySpace Page quite alot , and its never ever crashed Safari..

Occasionally i get a message saying 'cannont load advanced editor in your browser / OS' but i click OK and it loads the normal editer, and all is great...

Its wierd that so many people are sufferning this problem, i've never had any trouble with the myspace world....

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
MySpace has always given me problems. And for that reason, I've taken the music video I used to have on my page down. If only there was a true fix to this, rather than having to disable something.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Usually don't have a problem with FireFox on either platform. Safari is cool and all, but I'm happy with FF and it's extensions. QT and WMP usually work ok as long as everything is updated. If a site sucks and doesn't work in it, I don't use that site anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.