Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Right clicking on the MBP M3 (October 2023 edition) trackpad is a bit flaky. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Anyone else having the same issue?

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
no and it can't possibly be an issue because there's no button on the trackpad, it's entirely software and can't be broken.

lukas.j

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2022
It consistently happens with all my MBP – M1 16", M3 16", M1 14" – when the front right corner of the chassis is not supported. Consistently time-wise, since the purchases and consistently between the three devices.

So on a flat table at work it never happens. Slouching somewhere with one of the MBPs on my legs, I have to right click with much more pressure (but only for the right click).

Last edited:

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
Right-corner (click in bottom right corner) for the secondary click.
If you can train yourself for two-finger click, it's much more consistent. I never have trouble unless it's app related (like a poorly made webpage). The right-corner option is kind of a holdover from when the trackpads were mechanical.

Reactions: splitpea

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I use "right-corner-click" for the right click on a MacBook Pro 14".

I, too, have noticed that it can be "touchy" sometimes (literally).

I've noticed that if I have some fingers "too close to" the trackpad in an area OTHER THAN the lower right corner, the right click may not activate. In other words, you have to be careful to NOT "make contact" with any other area of the trackpad while you go for the right click.

I've tried to "discipline myself" to avoid this, but... still happens.
(too old to change, I guess...)

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Right-corner (click in bottom right corner) for the secondary click.

The area of actuation for the right-click in either corner of these trackpads is a bit on the small side. If you go too far towards that lower-right corner, it will not register a right-click. If you're too high or too far towards the left, it also will not recognize a right click.

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
Not here to beat a dead horse but two-finger click is, in my opinion, preferable as you can then "right click" anywhere on the trackpad without having to move your hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.